Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1513135291627970560[/tweet]

Apparently this was only released 12 months ago - interesting if that really is Ukranian army operating them or they are getting some help ?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/08/ukraines-iron-general-zaluzhnyy-00023901

Interesting read about how Ukraine has been in preparation for this war since 2014.

It's also encouraging, due to the long term collaboration of Ukraine with Nato.

'That collaboration with NATO has molded a group of professional-minded officers that aspired to Western standards and helped build a decentralized, empowered, more agile way of warfare than the Russian model, which has floundered in the Ukrainian mud.'

Nato works. Even when it's not on the battlefield.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Question.

That 40km column of Russian vehicles heading towards Kiev we heard so much about, did they abandon them in the end?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's also encouraging, due to the long term collaboration of Ukraine with Nato.

'That collaboration with NATO has molded a group of professional-minded officers that aspired to Western standards and helped build a decentralized, empowered, more agile way of warfare than the Russian model, which has floundered in the Ukrainian mud.'

Nato works. Even when it's not on the battlefield.

Putin issuing threats (warnings)

[tweet]1513474698952294406[/tweet]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Question.

That 40km column of Russian vehicles heading towards Kiev we heard so much about, did they abandon them in the end?

A lot were picked off due to the Ukrainians early on destroying some at the front and back of the column. They didn't have room to manoeuvre away from the main routes and those that tried quickly got bogged down in the mud as the weather was awful. Ukrainians spoofed the Russians for many days by giving them false promises that they would be re-supplying the convoy with food and fuel, no-one in the Russian force noticed until it was too late and there were many dissertions by this stage. That is probably it in a nutshell.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Another long and interesting thread on tanks

[tweet]1513402516628996097[/tweet]

Doesn't seem to mention it but there is a major weakness in the T72 as it's ammunition is stored with the crew in a less well protected area . One direct it and it goes up wrecking tank and killing the crew. Western And Israeli tanks have much better protection for the crew.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A lot were picked off due to the Ukrainians early on destroying some at the front and back of the column. They didn't have room to manoeuvre away from the main routes and those that tried quickly got bogged down in the mud as the weather was awful. Ukrainians spoofed the Russians for many days by giving them false promises that they would be re-supplying the convoy with food and fuel, no-one in the Russian force noticed until it was too late and there were many dissertions by this stage. That is probably it in a nutshell.

Well yes all widely reported, but are the bulk of them still there? is what i'm asking and I suppose what I'm getting at is are the ones which weren't picked off potentially salvageable by Ukraine (with help and parts from skilled western engineers) and redeployable in the east. That's not a discussion i'd seen and wondered if anyone had

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doesn't seem to mention it but there is a major weakness in the T72 as it's ammunition is stored with the crew in a less well protected area . One direct it and it goes up wrecking tank and killing the crew. Western And Israeli tanks have much better protection for the crew.
Apparently the turret in Russian Tanks uses an " Auto loader " system whereby shells are stored in a ring around the inside of the turret..when a Javelin hits the turret, the molten metal explosion pierces the turret and sets all the stored shells off...hence the many Russian tanks that end up separated from their turrets by 20 yards.. BOOM ! [emoji95]

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Starting to see reports of a Russian chemical weapon attack in Mariupol.

Let's see if anything is confirmed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well yes all widely reported, but are the bulk of them still there? is what i'm asking and I suppose what I'm getting at is are the ones which weren't picked off potentially salvageable by Ukraine (with help and parts from skilled western engineers) and redeployable in the east. That's not a discussion i'd seen and wondered if anyone had

No, I believe that in the circumstances already described, they were all either picked off, taken by resistance and farmers (lol) or redeployed in the general Russian withdrawal from that area of Ukraine.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Starting to see reports of a Russian chemical weapon attack in Mariupol.

Let's see if anything is confirmed.

I hope not but, part of me knows that Putin has no conscience and no limits. :(

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I hope not but, part of me knows that Putin has no conscience and no limits. :(

Well if they did it in Syria (or at least supplied the weapons) then why not?

The Ukraine should have rolled over within a week with the President whisked off to Moscow for a 'debriefing' or possibly an 'accident'.

Didn't work out like that did it you cvnts?

Glad to see their inventory of Tanks/Helicopters/Drones has declined over the past month...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here