Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So what would a sustainable policy be.?
If Ukraine will not give up are they strong enough to make Putin give up as he did in Afghanistan ?
As long as we don't leave it too late flood the west of Ukraine with troops and protect the skies over that area. From there offer what is left of Ukraine EU and preferably NATO membership.

Make Putin know that any nuclear response will be met with an identical one.

Tell the Chinese in no uncertain terms that we will not blink and that the planet they share is potentially at risk.

Wait for the Chinese to rein Putin in.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
[tweet]1501177958148587520[/tweet]

And just in case you wanted your "Britain is really being shown up, here" take in coloured map form...

View attachment 145860

But surely an Independent Sovereign state has complete control over it's borders, immigration, priorities, laws, timing and decision making so there must be another reason for this. Maybe you shouldn't be so entrenched in your view of this Government and just give them a chance :shrug:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As long as we don't leave it too late flood the west of Ukraine with troops and protect the skies over that area. From there offer what is left of Ukraine EU and preferably NATO membership.

effectively partition ???

wouldnt cedeing Crimea be a better outcome, just for arguements sake?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Make Putin know that any nuclear response will be met with an identical one.

Tell the Chinese in no uncertain terms that we will not blink and that the planet they share is potentially at risk.

Wait for the Chinese to reign Putin in.

That would be a very brave or stupid decision. I personally value my family and friends life to much so would keep troops out to give some hope of avoiding a nuclear coming our way.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
[tweet]1501177958148587520[/tweet]

And just in case you wanted your "Britain is really being shown up, here" take in coloured map form...

This obviously doesn't look good, but apparently it needs to be done this way to stop future Salisbury attacks.

Which is strange really, because I'm sure if Putin wanted to carry out some more Salisbury style novichok attacks, the fact that Ukrainian women and children refugees can't legally enter the country, wouldn't really stop him :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
effectively partition ???

wouldnt cedeing Crimea be a better outcome, just for arguements sake?
I'm talking about what we ( with the US ) do.

If Ukraine wants to negotiate an alternative then obviously that has priority. I am even fine if they decide freely to merge with Russia, tbh.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That would be a very brave or stupid decision. I personally value my family and friends life to much so would keep troops out to give some hope of avoiding a nuclear coming our way.
Well it is all about opinions - but that way leads to a countless years of being afraid and repeatedly backing down to Putin's ( or his successor's ) nuclear threats.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

It seems this author (Clint Ehrlich) is:

An American working in Moscow is playing a key role in an effort to support President Donald Trump by “fact-checking” claims about Trump’s alleged connections to Russia.

Clint Ehrlich is a visiting researcher at the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO). He gained attention during the US election campaign for repeating Kremlin talking points in an opinion piece published in Foreign Policy that outlined the view that Hillary Clinton genuinely wanted to start a war with Russia.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...port-was-actually-called-shower-of-falsehoods

I would take this with a heavy fist full of salt!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Which is exactly what I said would happen.

Even if this were true, that is not the main purpose of sanctions in any case. Fighting a war costs money, he can't borrow, his rubles have lost half their purchasing power, eventually, the mercenary groups he reportedly has been using won't get paid, the soldiers wont get paid, the police won't get paid, everything starts to fall apart. Half hearted sanctions are a problem, but if everywhere he turns he just can't pay, and can't even borrow, he will have to negotiate.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/08/greggs-warns-of-price-rises-as-commodity-costs-soar

Greggs warns of price rises as commodity costs soar
Bakery chain expects overall cost inflation of 6-7% this year amid escalating conflict in Ukraine

The true cost of war hitting home here now. Will nobody think of the Geordies

The one thing that makes this worse is that we have sat at zero inflation for years or in some cases prices have actually gone down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
[tweet]1501123330262380551[/tweet]

Very good tweet from Navalny.

If anyone hasn't read it, I urge you to take a couple of minutes to read it through, including the graphs.

It details how perception of the war is changing in Russia. For the better.

If true, it's very encouraging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here