[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Wars always an create an opportunity to be Prime Ministerial, remember Thatcher and the tank moment. She was on the ropes before that

Johnson would be glad if the police report was out ASAP before the media get bored with Ukraine. Right now, its as a good time as any

could they sneek out the russia report as well?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yeah they showed it on the news lastnight. It was as has been described a couple of desks with around 6 to 8 Gov employees. A very bad show and we need to up our game on this

what were you expecting , the UK is a ****ing shambles , a colostomy bag of middle management , clip board twirling , half arsed , clueless ****witts. Anyone with half a brain is cleaning up in the private sector leaving the dullards to deal with the uber dullard masses.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was reading on twitter earlier, (though it's not verified, so could be nonsense and feel free to completely discount) that Ukraine and have killed the head of the Russian army in Kharkiv, one of the most decorated officers in the Russian army

edit. On BBC now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60659185

Yoda

English & European
I was reading on twitter earlier, (though it's not verified, so could be nonsense and feel free to completely discount) that Ukraine and have killed the head of the Russian army in Kharkiv, one of the most decorated officers in the Russian army

edit. On BBC now

You can tell things aren't going as planned for Russia if these guys are that close to the front line to get themselves killed. These Generals, etc are normally commanding the shots from at least 50-100 miles behind the front line.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

edit. On BBC now

There is potential for confusion here.

Valery Gerasimov is the main Russian army man. The head of the army that appears alongside Putin ( looking uncomfortable ).

The General reported as killed is Vitaly Gerasimov.

I actually don't know if they are related or not, or if it is a common surname.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wars always an create an opportunity to be Prime Ministerial, remember Thatcher and the tank moment. She was on the ropes before that

Johnson would be glad if the police report was out ASAP before the media get bored with Ukraine. Right now, its as a good time as any

Only if there is not much in it, we could do without it being revealed that he really must resign, just at the moment. As god awful as he is, it is better to not be leaderless at this moment, Dominic Raab is deputy remember.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Look at this thread and especially enjoy content from people with knowledge of Ukraine. So many on here seem to think Ukraine should keep fighting and not give anything. To those people do you think Ukraine has capability to hold on that will result in Russia giving up and withdrawing.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Sorry if posted elsewhere. What a little legend.

Boy, 11, travels 1,200km to safety alone.

A boy has arrived safely in Slovakia after travelling some 1,200km (750 miles) from eastern Ukraine with no more than two small bags, a passport and his relatives' phone number.

Hassan, 11, left his home in Zaporizhzhia because his mother could not leave her elderly mother.

She put him on a train, and when he finally got to the border he was helped across by customs officers.

Officials said he was a true hero and had won over everyone with his smile.

The boy arrived at the border carrying a plastic bag, a small red backpack and his passport. He was taken in by volunteers who gave him food and a drink while border officials got in touch with relatives in the Slovak capital Bratislava.

His mother, in a video posted by Slovak police, thanked everyone for taking care of her son and explained why he had travelled across the country when it was in the grip of a Russian invasion.

"Next to my town is a power plant that the Russians are shelling. I couldn't leave my mum - she can't move by herself - so I sent my son to Slovakia," Julia Pisecka said.

3837aa07-3e78-4722-b219-54615250e355.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm undecided.

It's certainly part of a very long pattern (gong back through more than one poliical party in power) and it may simply be a continued defence of an ideologically driven broad commitment to building an economy based around attracting and protecting wealth.

As I've said before a lot of the 'urgent' regulation being rushed through has been on the books for years and this government, like those before, have been very deliberately dragging their heels (and holding back others) when it comes to implementing any kind of transparency around extreme wealth

Or it may be more specific to particular Russian interests and influence.

Either way, I don't think it's inappropriate to be pointing out the patterns and asking difficult questions.

I suspect it is for the same reasons not enough has been done to date to root out dirty money, it costs the Treasury to fund the investigations, results in a loss of financial business in the City of London, and reduces donations to the Tory party, a lose, lose, lose for this Government.
Having pursued financially damaging policy regarding Europe, and a massive hit from Covid, when all the dust settles on the Ukrainian invasion we could do without losing the money laundering business in London on a permanent basis. As long as you can sleep with the theft and murder that has accompanied the accumulation of the wealth, it is good business.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is potential for confusion here.

Valery Gerasimov is the main Russian army man. The head of the army that appears alongside Putin ( looking uncomfortable ).

The General reported as killed is Vitaly Gerasimov.

I actually don't know if they are related or not, or if it is a common surname.

Nephew according to what I’ve read. He’s still a v high ranking officer though

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Look at this thread and especially enjoy content from people with knowledge of Ukraine. So many on here seem to think Ukraine should keep fighting and not give anything. To those people do you think Ukraine has capability to hold on that will result in Russia giving up and withdrawing.
Ukraine will never give up. Even if the whole country is rubble.

That is why this is so tragic.

In my opinion it is also why watching from the sidelines with all the pictures coming in is ultimately an unsustainable policy by Western governments.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

In my opinion it is also why watching from the sidelines with all the pictures coming in is ultimately an unsustainable policy by Western governments.

This. Just feels like the West is rubbernecking the unfolding tragedy in Ukraine for fear of tweaking the nose of the Russian bear. It's appeasement in all but name

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This. Just feels like the West is rubbernecking the unfolding tragedy in Ukraine for fear of tweaking the nose of the Russian bear. It's appeasement in all but name

so nuclear deterent works.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

So what would a sustainable policy be.?
If Ukraine will not give up are they strong enough to make Putin give up as he did in Afghanistan ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1501177958148587520[/tweet]

And just in case you wanted your "Britain is really being shown up, here" take in coloured map form...

FNVSIvOWUAMmU-U.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports