[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If Putin wants a World War why does he need an excuse? I really hope this posturing is a massive bluff to stop NATO troops on the ground and air in Ukraine

My only positive thought is that it is claimed he has been terrified of getting Covid. Nukes all over the world stands a much better chance of killing him.

Possibly a very naive idea but I don’t think Putin is ready to die just yet.

While he remains alive/in command it's clear his nuclear threat (which is probably real) will always be pulled out of the drawer and slapped on the table. If he remains in control of Russia 'after' this invasion (whatever/ whenever that is) I sadly believe he needs to feel (demonstrably show) he's won something: from total domination (or destruction) of Ukraine; to breaking up Ukraine into a number of separate states (some Russian controlled, maybe a western one). He's clearly not trying to win the hearts and minds of even the Russian speakers in Ukraine, and he's destroying large swathes of cities. His behaviour doesn't suggest he's looking forward to a retirement with calm hobbies and playing with the grandkids (if they're alive after this) - also, one article I read suggested he's made so many enemies in Russia the last 20 years that he's actually afraid to leave office and his ring of police, as he might himself trip on a balcony.
So, I agree, he's not ready to die yet - but where exactly is he, geographically? Maybe he's broadcasting from a bunker in the Ural mountains?
If he gets a 'victory', and stays in power, maybe he'll be happily busy domestically for a few years patching up whatever the economic and social fall out maybe, repairing the glorious red army, educating the Russian people, whilst planning his next venture to Moldova/Baltic states. If we're lucky, during that time, he'll either have a heart attack, get sudden cancer, or be taken out locally - we can but hope.
But what do I know...less and less I'm afraid.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
The West are blocking Russia’s access to $0.63trillion of reserves held in the West, that’s 87% of its reserves.

After the illegal invasion, murder and theft of Crimea, Putin thought it clever before starting the next war, to stockpile their reserves in western currencies and gold overseas.

That will come in handy when Ukraine needs to be rebuilt

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Premier League: China's rights holder will not show games over Ukraine support

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60524865

Chinese rights holders have told the Premier League they will not broadcast English top-flight matches this weekend because of the league's planned shows of support for Ukraine, the BBC has learnt.

China is a close political ally of Russia, which has invaded Ukraine.

The Premier League has said it "wholeheartedly rejects Russia's actions" and is set to show solidarity with Ukraine.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not really worrying.

Time for humanity to step up and be counted.

Demons run when a good man goes to war etc.

Unless we want to stand by when thermobarbic weapons are used, maybe chemical weapons on civilians, Ukrainians publicly executed in public squares.

Where is the line that can't be crossed ?

Does that make humanity worth anything ?

No Russians would be targeted outside Ukraine. Up to them to leave.
Valid points. There comes a time when we must take action, the problem is that Putin has crossed so many red lines in Georgia , Chechnya, Syria and Salisbury and hot away with it before. When he realises that he has finally gone too far I don't think he will go quietly.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
No, not at all quite the opposite in fact… :drool:

Her interview yesterday with the tennis player who left his wife and children in I think Belgium and is now in Kiev in the reserve army, was excellent, moving and poignant, she was visibly shaken and emotional after it, as was he check it out.

https://youtu.be/jgR2nbora2I

She can indeed be irritating sometimes...but she did very well there. Thanks for posting.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I expect more events like that in Salisbury. Plus cyber warfare to screw our banking for example.

He deems human life worthless.

The world didn’t know it when he became PM and later President, that it had a Hitler in the making.

Yeap attacks on power grid, water works, transportation...create chaos where possible

So the 630B is offshore, that handy. How long could Russla last if oil / gas exports were suspended?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yeap attacks on power grid, water works, transportation...create chaos where possible

So the 630B is offshore, that handy. How long could Russla last if oil / gas exports were suspended?

I saw this earlier, TBH I don't understand how this all works, but if we can shut Russia off from these reserves, which they will want, probably not very long...

One option under consideration is to remove Russia entirely from the institution that acts as a lender of last resort, officials said, though some noted that would prove difficult if not impossible.

"There is a discussion, but kicking Russia out entirely is probably unrealistic because of required quora," one senior euro zone official said, referring to the wide support needed among countries that include China.

Other options being examined include the suspension of Russia's voting rights as well as blocking its access to a special IMF currency, the Special Drawing Rights, the officials said.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/eur...-rights-imf-over-invasion-sources-2022-03-04/

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This is a great watch, the UK is complicit in funding Putin, London being the money laundering capital of the world, the bigger question is why the Tories are oh so shy to really clamp down on this....

[tweet]1499766468610863106[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
What would the Ukrainians do with these abandoned vehicles? I guess they can't use them either so would they just make sure they are put out of action?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’m starting to doubt the whole concept of a ‘Nuclear Deterrent’, it seems everyone is afraid of what he might do but he doesn’t seem to be bothered by what we might do, as HWT said earlier not a good look!!!

The last time the Russians backed down iirc was the Cuban Missile Crisis, regrettably we may need to get to that Defcon state to to deal with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i thought it was just a bit of hard ball to force the americans to remove their missiles from turkey

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is a great watch, the UK is complicit in funding Putin, London being the money laundering capital of the world, the bigger question is why the Tories are oh so shy to really clamp down on this....

my question is why do Russian oligarchs need to launder money. they have their business, take their salary, sell some shares or receive dividends in to their Sberbank account. they can use that abroad or transfer through any number of banks (not just a couple well known). so much attributed to buying flats in London, nothing about source of their company's revenues.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
i thought it was just a bit of hard ball to force the americans to remove their missiles from turkey
There are no nuclear missiles in Turkey.... anti-missile systems yes.

Plus some aircraft nuclear bombs that have been scaled back in number and effectiveness.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

[tweet]1499766468610863106[/tweet]

Pretty shameful and then there's our overseas territories and crown dependancies.

All the time we have a ruling class with skin in the game very little meaningful change will happen

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Possible "Friendly Fire" or maybe even rebellion/mutiny/defection ?

As usual this is just a report. Not "evidence".

[Tweet]1499753688478494721[/Tweet]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We cannot back Putin into a corner, it has to end at the negotiating table where both sides think they have "won"

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports