Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Indeed.

But that's going to take time. Imagine having being fed state run TV all your life, and then your children tell you it's all fabricated?
That's tantamount to admitting you're been a fool, gullible and unworldly your whole life. I'm sure a common reaction is to not believe it, and shoot the messenger.

There is progress - witness the anti-war protests, but these will be clamped down on. Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn all gone. It will take time, but I believe the process is irreversible.
You cannot keep a whole nation of 144 million people in the dark forever.

Indeed. You’re basically asking them to take the red pill - it’s not straightforward.

Equally, as necessary as these sanctions are they’re not difficult to spin as the west trying to cripple Russia. They are a double edged sword in many ways.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Indeed. You’re basically asking them to take the red pill - it’s not straightforward.

Equally, as necessary as these sanctions are they’re not difficult to spin as the west trying to cripple Russia. They are a double edged sword in many ways.

Agreed. To be honest, we - are - trying to cripple Russia. That was the exact word that Ursula von der Leyen used. Cripple.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Agreed. To be honest, we - are - trying to cripple Russia. That was the exact word that Ursula von der Leyen used. Cripple.

Indeed, I suppose the major variable in western and Russian narratives is who is the instigator and aggressor. Whilst never quite as simple as west = good guys and Russia = bad guys, we’re not the ones currently committing war crimes whilst killing innocent civilians in their thousands.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Indeed, I suppose the major variable in western and Russian narratives is who is the instigator and aggressor. Whilst never quite as simple as west = good guys and Russia = bad guys, we’re not the ones currently committing war crimes whilst killing innocent civilians in their thousands.

I'm not saying anything new of course, but Putin doesn't see it like that. He genuinely sees his actions as justified, for Russian security, and western sanctions as unfriendly. I noted that today, he said 'no more sanctions', accompanied by a veiled threat. I see that as a good sign, in that the current sanctions are biting hard. I think he made a mistake there.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The rouble since the start of the invasion:

View attachment 145735

Price of wheat over the past year.

Screenshot_20220304-201152_Chrome.png

And gas...

Screenshot_20220304-200958_Chrome.png

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Fully appreciate that … but why should they get the money back after all the damage they have caused … just deduct ‘expenses’ …

Zelensky was calling for reparations, paid for by Russia. Seems entirely reasonable to me. But I would go further. I would seek to:

1) Put Ukraine back in the position it was before the invasion began.
2) Compensate all other nations. Why should other nations foot the cost of commodity inflation in oil, gas, wheat, aluminium etc etc, because of Putin's reckless actions?

All, absolutely all of it, paid for by Russia from current reserves, and future earnings. For generations if necessary.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
Zelensky was calling for reparations, paid for by Russia. Seems entirely reasonable to me. But I would go further. I would seek to:

2) Compensate all other nations. Why should other nations foot the cost of commodity inflation in oil, gas, wheat, aluminium etc etc, because of Putin's reckless actions?

All, absolutely all of it, paid for by Russia from current reserves, and future earnings. For generations if necessary.

I agree … they should pay and the assets are there to foot the bill …

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Shockingly ignorant (infront of camera, noted). I am still surprised how backward/North Koreanish Russia appears, no wonder Putin feels he can do what he likes and his people don't even seem to realise it. Frightening indeed. I think we just assume that the internet = much more freedom of information and discussion but it aint so.

The hope is though, that with time and if it drags on, those ignorant people may be more inclined to consider a different version of events.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Shockingly ignorant (infront of camera, noted). I am still surprised how backward/North Koreanish Russia appears, no wonder Putin feels he can do what he likes and his people don't even seem to realise it. Frightening indeed. I think we just assume that the internet = much more freedom of information and discussion but it aint so.

I don't know - to me there's a clear distinction between older generations and younger in that clip and many others I've seen showing protests, etc. Those denying any wrongdoing didn't seem like the type who spent much time critically analysing state news on the Internet to me. I feel sorry for the younger generations of Russians - their futures have been ruined and the majority of them don't support putin and are much more aware of the outside world and lies Russians are fed on state tv through the Internet and social media

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Well that worked well with the Versailles Treaty after the First World War, the Germans put up with it, paid it all off and didn't rearm.

Oh...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well that worked well with the Versailles Treaty after the First World War, the Germans put up with it, paid it all off and didn't rearm.

Oh...

Are you saying that Russia shouldn't pay for the consequences of its actions?

Let Russia get away with it?

Really?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Wasn't as bad as I expected tbh. Some were blinkered, some 'got it' and some were simply frightened to say what they really thought.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Whatever the end, the only truly ‘good’ outcome is the removal of Putin and instalment of a ‘democratic’ society more aligned with the west.

Reparations…I agree…but Ukraine and Russia aren’t just nations, they’re people, and the Ukrainian and Russian people are gonna have very tough times ahead. Putin won’t care about reparations if he’s not in power, it’ll only affect the people, which is not who started or wanted this. Let’s bring them into the fold once Putin and his ilk are gone. We should all foot the bill for Ukraine as long as Russia comes to our side. That’s all I want to see come of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here