Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Von der Leyen and Blinken speaking at a news conference now……

Also, DEC appeal has hit £55 million in donations in one day.

The speed and extent of global co-operation, condemnation and action is actually quite remarkable.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
i thought it was just a bit of hard ball to force the americans to remove their missiles from turkey

A short summary [emoji106]

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, leaders of the U.S. and the Soviet Union engaged in a tense, 13-day political and military standoff in October 1962 over the installation of nuclear-armed Soviet missiles on Cuba, just 90 miles from U.S. shores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
If not posted before,please Google this. How Russians reacted when we showed them pictures from Ukraine. Frightening to see.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
No sit rep received today, we are hoping that's more to do with lack of internet or cell service and not anything else.
Slava Ukraini

Latest sit rep from my friend in a village near Kyiv....

Hi All,
The internet has been down since yesterday midday but it has just come up.

We suffered sporadic shelling yesterday and my stepdaughter becme a bundle of nerves so we/she decided for her to head for Poland. Her employer KPMG offers all women company employees and children passage to the border with Poland. We found a young guy who could drive her to Brovary at the end of curfew 0800 to collect another employee and two children. The other person had a taxi ready in Brovary to take the party to the bus station in Kyiv. However, when XXXX arrived, the other employee decided she wanted the taxi for her party only. Luckily the young chap who had taken XXXX from the house to Brovary, happily took her to the bus station and put her on the KPMG bus. Now all the rest of the passengers are sitting in the bus waiting for this woman and her children who are stuck in a traffic jam. XXXX on instructions from me, is sending her mother a position update every hour. At present 1348 local they are still sitting in the bus in Kyiv waiting for this woman. KPMG has said they will pay for all costs incurred by employees to reach the border with Poland and they have a reception party waiting to take people to shelter. On top of this, they advanced everyone two months' salary.

The shelling outbound started at 0700 hours local this morning. The Russian column that was pushed back from Ruslanov and nearly totally destroyed yesterday was reinforced during the night. Unfortunately during the battle, 6 houses in the village of Ruslanov were destroyed. The exchange of fire today was much heavier than we had previously experienced but the Ukrainians are certainly giving the Russians stick and their morale is very high. I assume the Russians are trying to push through to Brovary and then Kyiv. I have made a shelter on the ground floor with my 8-foot oak table and pews. The plan is if things get hairy, XXXX will shelter in our neighbor's root cellar and I will stay in the house with the dogs. I sincerely hope it does not happen. The house is made of wooden logs with wooden pegs holding individual logs in place. Three years ago I had the whole house clade in spruce panels fixed to batons on the logs with 6-inch screws for the batons and three-inch crews for cladding to batons. I think the structure is quite strong. However, the house is wood.

We still have power and gas for heating I also laid in a load of split seasoned oak for the stove. I am assuming if Putin and Zelensky can come to a deal I will see out my days here I live in hope. XXXX has already told me if Putin gets his way then she wants to sell up and leave because it would be impossible for her to go back to living in a police state run by kleptocrats.

It has gone eerily quiet at present. That is the nerve-wracking bit for XXXX not knowing what to expect and when.

That's all for now folks

Him being ex UK Military, its typical of his steady calm outlook. He is a brave man.

And Kudos to KMPG.

Slava Ukraini

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
A short summary [emoji106]

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, leaders of the U.S. and the Soviet Union engaged in a tense, 13-day political and military standoff in October 1962 over the installation of nuclear-armed Soviet missiles on Cuba, just 90 miles from U.S. shores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yeah, i know, but what was the quid pro quo?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's a bit hypocritical supporting the Russians to protest whilst at the same time we're passing laws to stop them here?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What would the Ukrainians do with these abandoned vehicles? I guess they can't use them either so would they just make sure they are put out of action?
If they could get the tyres they could re use them against the original owners.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Listening to the news during the day there appears to be a number of voluntary groups sending military equipment such as bullet proof vests, helmets etc.

Why is this necessary? Surely the EU and UK should be satisfying any needs in this area. Likewise regarding refugee aid - if anything there should be a surfeit of aid being offered by governments if they are serious about supporting Ukraine and its people.

The majority of the “help” being offered so far seems to be designed to attack Russia, (no complaints about that support from me), but rather less in the way of supporting the Ukrainian people in practical ways.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
China won't be showing this weekends games because they don't want the Chinese people to see support for Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60524865
We are playing in our Blue and Yellow away strip, I believe we are doing this from now on unless something changes..I hope other Premiership teams can change to Blue and Yellow too...maybe make it a rule for all away teams to wear this strip to the end of the season ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
There definitely seems to be a difference between the opinions and worldliness of the elderly and the young, at least in that clip.

I guess one group get their views from the state-run TV, and the others get their views from social media etc.

That's not unexpected.

I thought the same but surely the young can enlighten their parents?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I thought the same but surely the young can enlighten their parents?

Indeed.

But that's going to take time. Imagine having being fed state run TV all your life, and then your children tell you it's all fabricated?
That's tantamount to admitting you're been a fool, gullible and unworldly your whole life. I'm sure a common reaction is to not believe it, and shoot the messenger.

There is progress - witness the anti-war protests, but these will be clamped down on. Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn all gone. It will take time, but I believe the process is irreversible.
You cannot keep a whole nation of 144 million people in the dark forever.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The rouble since the start of the invasion:

rouble1.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here