Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was a video dated 10/02/2023, showing a fleet of Russian tanks driving through a minefield. Pretty much every single tank in the convoy hit a mine (6-8 tanks), leaving the operators running on foot back the way they came.
It needs Benny Hill music

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the subject of the footage hadn't been so grim, it would've suited the Benny Hill theme-tune played over the top of it.
Ok, that is just plain spooky :ohmy:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pardon my bluntness but who is winning at the moment?
There are reports that Russia are amassing hundreds of thousands of troops and thousands of tanks and armoured vehicles near the border, for a new offensive. That's quite a concern, but the fact is that Ukraine cannot afford to lose this war. Losing would be accepting Russian rule over Ukraine, with citizens raped, tourtured and murdered at will, so I can't imagine Ukraine ever giving up. As long as the West continue to help, Ukraine can defend themselves.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Russia losing 824 men a day in February according to reports. Ouch.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In overall terms, Ukraine are “winning”. Russia is losing troops and haemorrhaging their machinery of war at an astonishing rate. They hold a very small amount of territory and every push for more leads to catastrophic death tolls. The cost of their gains is crippling them.

However, they have made gains. Ukraine just needs to hold on and keep fighting back. Russia cannot go on at this rate. Eventually their whole war effort will grind to a halt through lack of soldiers and equipment.

Unfortunately I doubt the thousands of Ukrainians sent to concentration and labour camps in Russia will ever be liberated and the thousands of fleeing women and children kidnapped by traffickers at the borders will never be reunited with their families.

I’d like to see Russia flattened and a regime change installed. But that’s wishful thinking.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think the families will notice they aren't getting mobile messages anymore?
That's true, but the establishment will say things like: captured and phones taken; deserter scum; still in action and cannot use phones etc.
Also, I believe many of those mobilised have been taken from far flung provinces, ethnic minorities, a long way from potential honest journalism (if there remains such a thing) in Moscow or St P. I know the truth may be apparent to Russian citizens in the end...but that could be years away. Suppression, denial, prosecutions will continue in Russia.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's true, but the establishment will say things like: captured and phones taken; deserter scum; still in action and cannot use phones etc.
Also, I believe many of those mobilised have been taken from far flung provinces, ethnic minorities, a long way from potential honest journalism (if there remains such a thing) in Moscow or St P. I know the truth may be apparent to Russian citizens in the end...but that could be years away. Suppression, denial, prosecutions will continue in Russia.
It’s the Putin’s Russian way, even when not waging war. Every issue competitive with the rest of the world, smoke and mirrors, lies, a complete disregard for truth or human lives.

1.25m more Russian’s than expected died during the pandemic, from a 143m population. Putin’s sole interest was covering up the numbers. If that’s how he values his countrymen, little wonder he revels in the genocide and rape of innocents in peaceful neighbours.

A74FF26F-D066-4879-975B-5854B894093F.png

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It’s the Putin’s Russian way, even when not waging war. Every issue competitive with the rest of the world, smoke and mirrors, lies, a complete disregard for truth or human lives.

1.25m more Russian’s than expected died during the pandemic, from a 143m population. Putin’s sole interest was covering up the numbers. If that’s how he values his countrymen, little wonder he revels in the genocide and rape of innocents in peaceful neighbours.

View attachment 157028
True...and possibly Russia's reported deaths may well also be low-balled on orders from the top

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Turkey, India and Russia all did that, widely reported at the time. Scientists and medics in Turkey were under orders from Erdogan’s regime not to talk to the media.
But nowhere near as much as China did. At least Russia's lie looked a bit believable - China's was farcical. The disease spread all around China before it hit the rest of the world, yet they pretended that no one outside the original province died.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
There are reports that Russia are amassing hundreds of thousands of troops and thousands of tanks and armoured vehicles near the border, for a new offensive....
I keep hearing this but I'm not sure I'm ready to believe it. I've yet to see satellite photos of masses of equipment near the border, or of masses of troops. These types of photos typically find there way into the various news sites at some time.

We heard about and saw images of the massing of troops before the initial attacks. You don't just hide thousands of tanks from surveillance, you sure don't move them quickly into place without them being noticed either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I keep hearing this but I'm not sure I'm ready to believe it. I've yet to see satellite photos of masses of equipment near the border, or of masses of troops. These types of photos typically find there way into the various news sites at some time.

We heard about and saw images of the massing of troops before the initial attacks. You don't just hide thousands of tanks from surveillance, you sure don't move them quickly into place without them being noticed either.
It’s a western media obsession just now, palpably excited that allegedly 300,000 troops and 2,000 tanks will enter on or around the anniversary. Some shit stirrers such as Piers Morgan appears to me are more interested in hyperbole and the headlines if it happens, than Ukrainian lives lost and justice.

I’m praying that with a year’s tutoring from NATO and superior technology/hardware, if it happens, that the Russians encounter a living hell, their Afganistan/Vietnam. But with NATO technologies to destroy hardware and let’s be frank invaders at will. Ukraine and its many friends will be ready, that is true.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Weststander - one thing that my mind keeps coming back to is this... the Russians were not well prepared for the initial attacks, but they were able to get away with a fair bit. They didn't have enough food or clothing but that was okay, they took territory and ransacked houses and businesses and stole their food, clothes, etc... that won't happen this time, everything has been taken, there's no house sitting around packed with food. If they don't carry enough or have proper supply lines set up a mass invading force is going to starve, or at least be very hungry. If they come that's what I hope happens.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Yeah I've no idea if it's real or made up, but if it is real it shouldn't be a surprise that the West haven't put the images online, as they'd no doubt be used by Ukraine to prepare attacks.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Weststander - one thing that my mind keeps coming back to is this... the Russians were not well prepared for the initial attacks, but they were able to get away with a fair bit. They didn't have enough food or clothing but that was okay, they took territory and ransacked houses and businesses and stole their food, clothes, etc... that won't happen this time, everything has been taken, there's no house sitting around packed with food. If they don't carry enough or have proper supply lines set up a mass invading force is going to starve, or at least be very hungry. If they come that's what I hope happens.
Good point.

A year ago Ukraine kind of knew something was likely to happen, but they were a much small neighbour with earlier gen tanks and MIG’s. It should’ve been a push over. And yet, brave troops lurking down side roads reaped hell on Russian tank columns, downed attack helicopters. My great hope is that Ukraine and their skilful western advisors have something special lined up for Putin’s second wave.

I reckon Putin’s going to try to seal up the Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts. A land grab before a settlement so that he claim a victory.

I hope his forces suffer huge losses and they ultimately gain Jack Sh1t.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
But nowhere near as much as China did. At least Russia's lie looked a bit believable - China's was farcical. The disease spread all around China before it hit the rest of the world, yet they pretended that no one outside the original province died.
And their lies contributed to major problems in every other country, as the truth about the virus was suppressed.
Do you remember the first honest doctor who called it out in China (I forget the poor man's name) - IIRC he lost his job, was pilloried by the establishment and the press and then died of Covid. Shameful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here