Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The results should be announced soon, if they haven't been already.

The results announcement was already taped on Tuesday last week, ready to be shown soon. Apparently there was 135% in favour!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Here's an update on the 'completely fair and democratic referendum' happening in my parent's in law village and neighbouring town. Three nice men come to the door, one is a Russian official carrying the voting papers, the other two are soldiers carrying Kalashnikovs. 'Put your cross here...' says the official (pointing to the box that says 'da') and there won't be any trouble.
I trust some people have been smart enough to video this? It would be good to see some clips.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Here's an update on the 'completely fair and democratic referendum' happening in my parent's in law village and neighbouring town. Three nice men come to the door, one is a Russian official carrying the voting papers, the other two are soldiers carrying Kalashnikovs. 'Put your cross here...' says the official (pointing to the box that says 'da') and there won't be any trouble.
Seems fair and reasonable? The results should be announced soon, if they haven't been already.

May I ask, did your in laws sign it as they said? Did the disgraceful Russian tactics work? Asking out of curiosity if people are voting as they are being forced to.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I trust some people have been smart enough to video this? It would be good to see some clips.

They'd have to be pretty covert to video without being taken away at gunpoint (or worse) - hopefully there are some videos that will circulate, but I can't imagine our Babushka would do so.
Have just read many first hand stories on the BBC website - some saying the only real way to not vote'yes'...is to pretend you are not at home and hope they don't break down the door.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
May I ask, did your in laws sign it as they said? Did the disgraceful Russian tactics work? Asking out of curiosity if people are voting as they are being forced to.

We don't know yet, as we only manage a mobile chat with them every two weeks (a neighbor still has a phone working on a Ukrainian provider). The news we got was from a trusted friend in Zaporizhzhye whose mother lives in the regional town in control of these villages.
My guess...?...yes, they will probably vote as told to, as will most people in the village. As I indicated in an earlier post, they are in their 80s and just want to be allowed to look after their chickens and ducks, and they need space and time to prepare all their summer veggies for winter storage. This is critical to help them get through the coming winter. The last thing they need is hassle at the end of a Kalashnikov.
And let's remember (my wife and I have to remind ourselves daily) that we are one of the lucky families: we have 10 relations there (only the parent's in law under occupation) and none of them are hurt so far. I can't imagine how the friends and families of those who were in Mariupol, Bucha etc feel.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Do they check to see the 'right' box has been ticked?

.......OK, sorry. Silly question.

Hi there, my first reply was not strictly correct, as we haven't had confirmation from parent's in law - but we do have strong indication of that from a trusted Ukrainian friend in phone touch with her mother.
Lots of first hand reports, from different regions, on BBC website, as indicated by Psychobilly I think.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hi there, my first reply was not strictly correct, as we haven't had confirmation from parent's in law - but we do have strong indication of that from a trusted Ukrainian friend in phone touch with her mother.
Lots of first hand reports, from different regions, on BBC website, as indicated by Psychobilly I think.

No problem. Best wishes to your in-laws.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let only the thick/fascists in this country be in doubt, about the unspeakable acts being carried out on infants.
https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2022/09/update-chair-independent-international-commission-inquiry-ukraine-51st-session

From on the ground evidence and eye witnesses.

If only that message could be got across to the decent people of Russia in a way that they would realise it is the truth - along with the message that no-one has attacked or tried to invade Russia since 1941, and no-one had any plans to.

Last edited:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
At which point do the West/NATO say enough is enough with all this? If he’s annexing land and claiming it’s now Russian territory and NATO are attacking it so he’s gonna start throwing nukes about? There has to be a point?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At which point do the West/NATO say enough is enough with all this? If he’s annexing land and claiming it’s now Russian territory and NATO are attacking it so he’s gonna start throwing nukes about? There has to be a point?

Until he starts using nukes the West /NATO will not get involved but once he does….

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Until he starts using nukes the West /NATO will not get involved but once he does….

He may not even have to use them IMO. If NATO intelligence sees deployment of such weapons to the battlefield, we may see precision strikes taking them out first. Hopefully we don’t get to find out.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He may not even have to use them IMO. If NATO intelligence sees deployment of such weapons to the battlefield, we may see precision strikes taking them out first. Hopefully we don’t get to find out.

Might China step in to stop the idiot? It doesn't help that China and US keep having spats about Taiwan, but China may still exert influence on Putin.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Might China step in to stop the idiot? It doesn't help that China and US keep having spats about Taiwan, but China may still exert influence on Putin.

China may not be in play, busy with internal affairs, if rumours of Xi Jinping house arrest are true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here