Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Not being an expert in propaganda, I've always wondered about the format of those discussions on Russian state TV. They have the hawks, but they also have the moderates, which on the face of it, seems odd.

I remember one of the moderates having a bit of a rant about the modern weapons that were being sent to Ukraine, and in the background was video of what looked like a shipment of those weapons being opened. So that whole section, including the rant, was planned and pre-meditated.

I suspect the moderates are invited on to gain the trust of the viewers, and then used to disseminate a message that the leadership want the viewers to take away. No doubt there are other techniques being used, which I'm not aware of.
This has been quite interesting to watch over the past few weeks..

https://youtube.com/channel/UCoAw0n5OyITkmejSCMfmnWg

I got it from this that I have been watching since it 'kicked off'.

https://youtube.com/c/SpeakTheTruth1

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My wife's parents are in an occupied village in Zaporozhye oblast. Russians have replaced Ukrainian mobile networks with their own and there is now only Russian TV available. The only news is Russian, so they hear nothing of the Ukrainian successes around Kharkiv and Kerson. They feel abandoned - only younger locals get better news from the internet, and keep quiet about it because of intimidation from the armed Russian occupiers.

I can't imagine how terrifying and unnerving it must be for them :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do they check to see the 'right' box has been ticked?

.......OK, sorry. Silly question.

Aparently the 'voter' doesn't even get to mark the ballot - the solider asks how they wish to vote and then marks the ballot himself !

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I can't imagine how terrifying and unnerving it must be for them :down:

Yes, it's very unnerving, and complicated. Some villagers even welcome the invasion ("proper strong army and leadership" bullshit)...sad but that's how it is in these mixed areas. They expected the Russians to do nice things for them: now they see armed soldiers in the village school to enforce teaching of the Russian curriculum, and the Russians are refusing to allow local Ukrainian engineers to fix the broken village gas main...winter without heating there would be the end for many people.
Even before this week's sham election the locals were being offered small amounts of money to sign up for Russian passports...and the majority may do...they are peasant small holding farmers, many in their 70s and 80s, they just want to be left alone to tend to their chickens and ducks, and get their veggie stores ready for winter.
One good piece of news, a local Ukrainian big wig in the neighbouring town offered to carry out Russian instructions if they made him mayor. Two weeks later he was found killed...so, even in these quiet country places there is still some partisan activity. Last we heard, that mayor position is still vacant.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Who would have thunk it…

Armed Russian soldiers go door to door collecting votes..,

Ukraine 'referendums': Soldiers go door-to-door for votes in polls https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63013356

Arsewholes…

Russians have never really got the hang of this whole democracy and free elections thing, have they?

You would have thought that in the 105 years since their revolution, they would have made a bit more progress.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This has been quite interesting to watch over the past few weeks..

https://youtube.com/channel/UCoAw0n5OyITkmejSCMfmnWg

I got it from this that I have been watching since it 'kicked off'.

https://youtube.com/c/SpeakTheTruth1

Thanks for those links. The first is quite illuminating. I took particular note that at one point the Head of RT, Margarita Simonyan, makes a thinly veiled public plea for funds to help the war effort, saying she 'doesn't know a single person who isn't contributing to help buy weapons'. Translated, that means the Kremlin is skint. Good.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is it me or does everyone on these Russian TV stations (presenters/guests) seem thick as pigs*it. The sort of people who believed in Boris etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That is interesting, and suggests that perhaps some of these new draftees should be trained as truck drivers. How quickly can Russia, on a war footing, build trucks?

Not sure, but I saw a report that supposedly exempt workers at a munitions factory were getting called up, if the idiots call up the guys in the Kamaz Truck factory too, probably not very many.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Is it me or does everyone on these Russian TV stations (presenters/guests) seem thick as pigs*it. The sort of people who believed in Boris etc.
There are some decent Russian vloggeers on youtube worth watching - this one kind of answers your question - the last few minutes are particularly illuminating regarding different perceptions of their media by Russians

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There are some decent Russian vloggeers on youtube worth watching - this one kind of answers your question - the last few minutes are particularly illuminating regarding different perceptions of their media by Russians
I like this channel :

https://youtu.be/StmYvEYg-ng

which reminds me that I need to dial down my tendency to assume all Russians are z-war vatniks.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Fine, as long as they're not Putin 'plants' with a brief to de-stabilise their host country, like campaigning for Russia to come and liberate the poor ethnic Russians living under a fascist government in Latvia/Lithuania/Finland etc. (take your pick) as happened in the breakaway fake states in Ukraine..

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's an update on the 'completely fair and democratic referendum' happening in my parent's in law village and neighbouring town. Three nice men come to the door, one is a Russian official carrying the voting papers, the other two are soldiers carrying Kalashnikovs. 'Put your cross here...' says the official (pointing to the box that says 'da') and there won't be any trouble.
Seems fair and reasonable? The results should be announced soon, if they haven't been already.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here