[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I would love to think that's true, but I'm afraid I just don't believe it. Any municipal deputies who said that would be diving off balconies by the minute.

The next article in the same magazine says the St Petersburg deputies who did the same have received police summons.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
https://theins.ru/en/news/254897

Moscow municipal deputies ask Putin to resign

Those deputies are being rounded up by the police though, they won’t be treated nicely that’s for sure, probably a long train ride too a Siberian prison.
I feel for the Russian people, those who moan about our politicians should remember at least we get a chance to vote them out.

Let’s hope his house of cards comes tumbling down soon.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://theins.ru/en/news/254897

Moscow municipal deputies ask Putin to resign
Wow! That is serious stuff!

If the Russians are defeated in Ukraine the government in Belarus will fall.
The world will be a better (safer) place if that happens. Putin picked the wrong country - of he'd sent his anti-fascist 'military exercise' into Belarus and re-annexed it they might have had a better chance of being welcomed with open arms!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rather then being welcomed into Ukraine in victory, the egregious mistake Putin has made, is slowly unfolding in front of him.

An ignominious withdrawal is looming.
Sanctions are obliterating his economy, losing him trading partners.
His country has become a world pariah.
His actions have led to the exact opposite of his objective. More Nato, closer to Russia, not less Nato.
Russia's inadequacies on the battlefield have been showcased to the world.
Russia is significantly poorer, with less influence, than when it invaded Ukraine.

Days before the invasion, Putin went on TV to declare that Ukraine should not exist. The world has given him their answer.

You left off the fact that Russia has lost so much equipment and used so much munitions that they've had to import from North Korea :facepalm:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Russian defences collapsing all along the Kharkiv front.

This opens the door to Ukraine sweeping west of Donetsk city to Melitopol.

Liberating Melitopol would be huge and in turn opens the way to Mariupol, the south coast and cutting off Kherson and Crimea once the illegal bridge is blown.

Surrender, Vlad. Your invasion is done.
In other words this :

[Tweet]1568605636241555459[/Tweet]

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I'm amazed that until recently Russia (USSR) one of only 2 superpowers in the world up to about 1989 and the country that was the major factor in defeating Nazi Germany in WW2 is struggling so badly against a small part of its former territory.
Putin has obviously underestimated the bravery of the Ukraine people and western sanctions and arms brought into the battlefield.
The world changes quickly Mr Putin, Great Britain gave up its Empire mostly peacefully when it had too.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm amazed that until recently Russia (USSR) one of only 2 superpowers in the world up to about 1989 and the country that was the major factor in defeating Nazi Germany in WW2 is struggling so badly against a small part of its former territory.
Putin has obviously underestimated the bravery of the Ukraine people and western sanctions and arms brought into the battlefield.
The world changes quickly Mr Putin, Great Britain gave up its Empire mostly peacefully when it had too.

Agreed. But to a thick, brain-dead thug like Putin, it's not so obvious.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Now would be a great time for the Belarusian people to rise up/revolt and hang that
prick in charge there. Putin's now a dead duck and in no position to help him as he was
a year or so ago.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Now would be a great time for the Belarusian people to rise up/revolt and hang that
prick in charge there. Putin's now a dead duck and in no position to help him as he was
a year or so ago.
Indeed. An absolutely golden opportunity to sling out their own dictator.

I'm not sure they will though.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Indeed. An absolutely golden opportunity to sling out their own dictator.

I'm not sure they will though.

I'd love to hear that the people of Belarus are back out on the streets protesting. But depends whether the police/army
can see which way the wind's blowing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You left off the fact that Russia has lost so much equipment and used so much munitions that they've had to import from North Korea :facepalm:
Is he mad enough to press the button though?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I thought this was an interesting thread.

[Tweet]1568438928516022279[/Tweet]

Plus, fighting now reported in Lysychansk.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Speaking to a Royal Engineer last week who explained that Russia simply doesn't have a chance against the arms the UK are sending to Ukraine. The British Army is being downsized and re-equipped for less ground troops and more long range battles. The British Army are basically sending out all their new weapons stock to field test it. I'm happy to report, it's all working very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports