Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that's called 'whataboutary'.

The points made in that post are worth consideration.

Everyone is united in the hope that bloodshed is halted, the belief that Ukrainians should be left to enjoy their own country. The anger at Putin for what he is doing. The hope he fails.

But many are refusing to unite behind a NATO banner of the 'good guys'. NATO is a political organisation seeking to assert influence and authority.

Just listening to the American representative at the UN giving his speech, as if they were a country skipping down the Yellow Brick Road wanting to bring peace and love, made my stomach churn.

I found this which shows that although politicians use NATO for defence, NATO is not a political organisation (it is military) and doesn't seek authority or influence. There are named sources in the article.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...0nuxXlfJ3AZkJ8VlUF6NXLTkQA3FpcIFuNjAfmwasvs3Y

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I found this which shows that although politicians use NATO for defence, NATO is not a political organisation (it is military) and doesn't seek authority or influence. There are named sources in the article.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...0nuxXlfJ3AZkJ8VlUF6NXLTkQA3FpcIFuNjAfmwasvs3Y

You'll see that my view of this conflict is organic. My belief in the rights of the Ukrainian folk to live in peace, and thus their right to defend and expel Russian forces.

My primary concern is the suffering we see.

Beyond this, the political situation, I'm also aware of the complexities. How Ukraine is not as united and straightforward as is being presented. At the time of the coup in 2013 there was clearly a divide in opinion. Amnesty International (a source I do trust) documented human rights abuses on both sides. Essentially, it would seem, a government that was disposed towards the Kremlin was ousted by one disposed towards the West and NATO nations have been getting involved since.As has Russia (2014 etc)

I just want the fighting to stop and Putin to be expelled. But beyond that, it isn't a case of black and white understanding. The political interests of outside parties must be shelved. Ukrainians need to find arbitration on what works well for them. And America and Russia and all the other greedy stakeholders need to lay down their political aims.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Reminder of the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances signed by Russia, the UK and US in 1994.

The territory of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine was guaranteed, in exchange they gave up their nuclear weapons.

Russia broke the agreement in 2014 and marched into Crimea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

I'd be pretty pissed if I was Ukrainian ..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Any sanctions from the UK on Russian oligarchs yet? Or are we giving them a bit more time to liquidate their assets and get out of here?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is the right answer …. Corruption is rife and that’s why there are so many oligarchs….

This was taken as Putin announced to the world his Nuclear threat...

You can clearly see both advisors thinking.....

"what the feck !! Dmitriy he actually thinks we have been spending the budget on their upkeep"

"I know Artyom I just bought a Championship football club with my cut, what are we going to do Artyom?"

"Kill him"

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 199

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
As you pointed out, he wasn't the only one, and I can't be more pleased to be proven wrong. More of the same is definitely the sensible way to stop the conflict :thumbsup:

i think the only way for it to stop is for one of his aides to put a bullet in his head ......he's on a mission and totally untrustworthy and a bit of a maniac to boot.....Russia will have to write it off as the actions of a mad man , how much backing does he actually have , some of his cabinet must be thinking " wtf have we started ffs..??"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
i think the only way for it to stop is for one of his aides to put a bullet in his head ......he's on a mission and totally untrustworthy and a bit of a maniac to boot.....Russia will have to write it off as the actions of a mad man , how much backing does he actually have , some of his cabinet must be thinking " wtf have we started ffs..??"

There's nobody left in his cabinet with an ounce of courage and he has a massive personal security detail and a paranoid mindset.

Even if someone did get to him, Lavrov would seize power. The Russian hierarchy isn't ready for a Navalny. Putin's approval ratings are high, (albeit it in a largely oblivious population).

Containment of Russia is the only vaguely feasible medium term strategy

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
There's nobody left in his cabinet with an ounce of courage and he has a massive personal security detail and a paranoid mindset.

Even if someone did get to him, Lavrov would seize power. The Russian hierarchy isn't ready for a Navalny. Putin's approval ratings are high, (albeit it in a largely oblivious population).

Containment of Russia is the only vaguely feasible medium term strategy

that may be a lot easier said than done , they have been preparing for this for 40 years , they have an underground city for 8-10k people which is where Putins family have been taken , this isn't funny any more , it's a dead set shit fight .....i'm not sure what news you are watching but containment of Russia is virtually impossible in my view , and as you chose to ignore the global ramifications there's a bit of discontent brewing in the east as well mate , this isn't all about you lot....!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here