[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well looks like the IOC have bottled it and allowed Para Olympic athletics from Russia to compete under their flag

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And so the IPC has decided in its infinite wisdom that it is fine and dandy to have Russia and Belrusian athletes competing at the Winter Paralympics as long as they claim to be "neutral".

I would like to think that all other countries will now pull out in protest. But it won't happen.

I love my paralympic sports but I won't be watching.

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
Well looks like the IOC have bottled it and allowed Para Olympic athletics from Russia to compete under their flag

I'm not convinced that punishing ordinary Russians for this is going to have the desired effect. People seem to think that doing that will cause Russians to revolt against their government, but surely it's just as likely that it will have the opposite effect, by legitimizing the message that the West is hostile towards Russia and Russians.

When ordinary Russians can't use their bank cards, can't use social media services, and generally feel isolated and excluded from the world in as many ways as possible, they might not see it as a call to join the rest of the world in condemnation of this war. They might see it as an attempt to undermine and destabilize their economy and society, and as an attack on them for something which they are not personally responsible for.

There will probably be more Russians wondering if Putin was right than there will be who will want to take the side of Western governments who are apparently considering ordinary Russians to be a legitimate target in this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
i think the only way for it to stop is for one of his aides to put a bullet in his head ......he's on a mission and totally untrustworthy and a bit of a maniac to boot.....Russia will have to write it off as the actions of a mad man , how much backing does he actually have , some of his cabinet must be thinking " wtf have we started ffs..??"
Yep this has got to end internally I believe that the vast majority of folk there, even some of those in the Putin inner sanctum, want peace. This is being led by one man.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm not convinced that punishing ordinary Russians for this is going to have the desired effect. People seem to think that doing that will cause Russians to revolt against their government, but surely it's just as likely that it will have the opposite effect, by legitimizing the message that the West is hostile towards Russia and Russians.

When ordinary Russians can't use their bank cards, can't use social media services, and generally feel isolated and excluded from the world in as many ways as possible, they might not see it as a call to join the rest of the world in condemnation of this war. They might see it as an attempt to undermine and destabilize their economy and society, and as an attack on them for something which they are not personally responsible for.

There will probably be more Russians wondering if Putin was right than there will be who will want to take the side of Western governments who are apparently considering ordinary Russians to be a legitimate target in this.

Isn't Putin already doing this to his own folk ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is the right answer …. Corruption is rife and that’s why there are so many oligarchs….

This is one shop I shall be boycotting in the future. A small gesture but one I will make.

[tweet]1498965883321991168[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is one shop I shall be boycotting in the future. A small gesture but one I will make.

Thanks for that, I'm following suit with you.

Yoda

English & European

Under normal Communism, I would agree, but Putin seems to be running the Country more and more like Fascism under the disguise of Communism. The sooner the general public realise this, the sooner they will revolt.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Sorry - but I totally disagree.

We need to make the lives of every Russian a total misery because only then are they likely to stop their tacit support of Putin's regime and turn against him. Look how pitifully small the anti-war demonstrations have been in Russia.

And if you think the EU, US & UK sanctions won't impact on "ordinary Russians" you are much mistaken.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Just read up on this guy.

He was born and bought up in Ukraine and still has close links with his hometown Lyiv.

He is also one of the major funders of the Holocaust memorial project at Babi Yar in Kyiv, Ukraine.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

An unfortunate side-effect of sanctions, is that they hit the little people.

But the main aim of sanctions is to disable the Russian war machine, financed by a war chest estimated to be 600 billion USD.
By trashing the ruble, and preventing The Russian central bank to use its foreign currency reserves to buy products, parts and technology for the war-machine, the sanctions are already well on the way to achieving this goal.

Protests are spreading. On Sunday, there were anti-war protests across nearly 50 Russian cities.

Your view of the future - and the Russian 'electorate' - is not taking into account current events. And they are unfolding quickly.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Never felt the urge to shop there. Being unhealthy has finally paid off.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just read up on this guy.

He was born and bought up in Ukraine and still has close links with his hometown Lyiv.

He is also one of the major funders of the Holocaust memorial project at Babi Yar in Kyiv, Ukraine.

I'm not boycotting a firm and potentially costing hundreds of people their jobs on the basis of what someone says in Twitter. The one thing I have learnt most in this conflict is not to believe anything I hear until I am certain I can be sure it is safe.

About the only thing I know is that Ukrainians are under attack in their own country.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never felt the urge to shop there. Being unhealthy has finally paid off.

Not been in one for years but I do remember thinking how unhealthy the staff looked for people working in a health shop :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports