Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby loses the moral high ground?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just watched the recorded game. When did they start playing music after a try or penalty/conversion?
:eek:

They've been doing it for ages. At least it's not as bad as New Zealand where they play 'gee up' music whilst the match is in progress! (During the last World Cup they kept playing 'Sweet Caroline').

These threads where people try and argue that such-and-such a sport is 'better' than another one are pointless. Ever since humans first arrived on this planet in order to amuse ourselves we've throw things, kicked things and hit things with sticks, and to say that one particular codified form of throwing, kicking or hitting with a stick is 'better' than all the others is absurd. Rugby has got a different skillset to football; the players are neither more skillful or less skillful, just 'differently skillful'. And even today it's still a sport that can be played by piano players and piano shifters. 'Personally as a sport I prefer Rugby Union to Association football - although admittedly I much prefer the 'tribal' atmosphere (even in these sanitised times) of football to the prep school common room feel of a rugby crowd.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm not sure what this reference to the moral high ground is. Rugby has it's share of cheats and bruisers, but I would say, for me, the watching experience is better at league matches. If I watch Quins on a Friday and Albion the following day I'm more intolerant of the coarseness of the crowd, whereas had I not been to the rugby the night before I wouldn't have noticed it so much. Rugby folk are less inclined to be irrational (although this is a generalism) because first and foremost most of them enjoy rugby first and their team second. In football it seems to be the other way round.

It's true of me. I can cope with an England defeat in rugby more than football, although I enjoy rugby more, because in rugby I admire the game and in football I go tribal. So my experience in football renders me to some kind of voluntary submission to a certain behavioural pattern.

It's quite disturbing when I think about it because it can be applied to so many parts of life.

That is certainly the case for me. I love watching any rugby (international, club and agegroup), whereas I only every watch the Albion (and England other than friendlies) play football. Modern football is just so boring to watch, especially with so many foreigners involved.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I thought this a football forum? Why have we got a thread about a load of hairy men running after an egg?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought this a football forum? Why have we got a thread about a load of hairy men running after an egg?
It's not a football forum; it's a forum for Brighton fans some, maybe most, of whom have interests outside of the Albion. Consequently the threads on NSC tend to reflect the various other interests of Brighton fans as well as just their shared football one.

HTH

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's not a football forum; it's a forum for Brighton fans some, maybe most, of whom have interests outside of the Albion. Consequently the threads on NSC tend to reflect the various other interests of Brighton fans as well as just their shared football one.

HTH

Understood, but why are we still talking about egg chasing? It's a bit like darts, not really a sport.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

They are depesrate to defend their love for the egg. They live in a world where they think that Rugby is harder than football which is highly amusing. Rugby is very easy to play. Even at a high level the forwards are a fat mess but as I said previously, it gives fat people the chance to play sport at a high level, so I say, let them play.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
They are depesrate to defend their love for the egg. They live in a world where they think that Rugby is harder than football which is highly amusing. Rugby is very easy to play. Even at a high level the forwards are a fat mess but as I said previously, it gives fat people the chance to play sport at a high level, so I say, let them play.

They may well have enjoyed Dancing on Ice last night then. That burly chap on the tellybox seemd to know how to handle one.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Understood, but why are we still talking about egg chasing? It's a bit like darts, not really a sport.

That's your opinion and fair enough. Some of us disagree though! I agree with you about darts though. And tennis. And Formula One.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I must say I can see why a thread about gay marriage was so popular on a football board, but just cannot understand why there is not the same interest in another sport? It really says it all about Brighton fans these days I guess.

Do you have a thing fro "hairy men"? Is that why you joined the thread? Come on - the truth now? :p:D

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Rugby is very easy to play. Even at a high level the forwards are a fat mess but as I said previously, it gives fat people the chance to play sport at a high level, so I say, let them play.
You are fishing I know ,but Iill bite anyway because I really would like to see you play one ( yes just ONE) minute of club rugby and then ask you for your view again. You are a prize dickhead for that statement, as am I for rising to it I suppose.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think [MENTION=19150]piersa[/MENTION] has a man crush on James Haskell. Just saying.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
They've been doing it for ages. At least it's not as bad as New Zealand where they play 'gee up' music whilst the match is in progress! (During the last World Cup they kept playing 'Sweet Caroline').

These threads where people try and argue that such-and-such a sport is 'better' than another one are pointless. Ever since humans first arrived on this planet in order to amuse ourselves we've throw things, kicked things and hit things with sticks, and to say that one particular codified form of throwing, kicking or hitting with a stick is 'better' than all the others is absurd. Rugby has got a different skillset to football; the players are neither more skillful or less skillful, just 'differently skillful'. And even today it's still a sport that can be played by piano players and piano shifters. 'Personally as a sport I prefer Rugby Union to Association football - although admittedly I much prefer the 'tribal' atmosphere (even in these sanitised times) of football to the prep school common room feel of a rugby crowd.

This is one of the truly great things about rugby. Anyone can play. On our team (we are a 'thirds' team, so don't train as such - just play a bit of social rugby), we have all sorts from our skinny (but fast) fullback, to 'Salad' the morbidly obese battering ram.

Totally agree about the tribalism of football too - love it.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I must say I can see why a thread about gay marriage was so popular on a football board, but just cannot understand why there is not the same interest in another sport? It really says it all about Brighton fans these days I guess.

Do you have a thing fro "hairy men"? Is that why you joined the thread? Come on - the truth now? :p:D

I jsut find it quite funny winding up Rugby fans. They really don't like it up em.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I think [MENTION=19150]piersa[/MENTION] has a man crush on James Haskell. Just saying.

He just isn't fat enough. :safeway:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
This is one of the truly great things about rugby. Anyone can play. On our team (we are a 'thirds' team, so don't train as such - just play a bit of social rugby), we have all sorts from our skinny (but fast) fullback, to 'Salad' the morbidly obese battering ram.

Totally agree about the tribalism of football too - love it.

Absolutely it gives the fat sport raspberries the chance to play a team sport. Why would people get upset about that?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
You are fishing I know ,but Iill bite anyway because I really would like to see you play one ( yes just ONE) minute of club rugby and then ask you for your view again. You are a prize dickhead for that statement, as am I for rising to it I suppose.

You may think I am a dickhead, which is fine, but I am a correct dickhead. Although you know it, you are obviously finding the truth hard to accept. That is fine too.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here