Rugby loses the moral high ground?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Years ago

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
How did they lose it? Did half the team role around like they had been shot when tackled? Or did everyone start gobbing-off at the Ref? - come to that, how often did they even question a decision?

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
I like the way the commentary said they were rolling around play acting when they had clearly been smashed in by someone.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I like the way the commentary said they were rolling around play acting when they had clearly been smashed in by someone.

Morgan Parra enjoys a little of the theatrics, irritating little t*sser. Extremely good player though.

I love watching rugby, probably more than footy these days but the sneery attitude towards some of the behaviour in football is embarrassing. It usually comes from people who seem to only remember the pre professional days of not actually celebrating a try etc...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How did they lose it? Did half the team role around like they had been shot when tackled? Or did everyone start gobbing-off at the Ref? - come to that, how often did they even question a decision?

Was one bit where the French scrum half made a sly dirty trip on Farrell as he was about to make a tackle. Farrell gave him a very minor bit of afters and the the frog rolled on the floor clutching his face like a footballer. Brian Moore was embarrassed for him.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Rugby is a great game for running into people, dropping the ball and being a sport for people unable to paticipate in other sports. Good for the uncoordinated amongst us.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

None of the above but sadly you can see the beginnings. In yesterdays game the scrum halves of both teams were appealing to referee about scrum collapsing and there is diving when following up kicks and a player is in the way. Since it went professional it started to change.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Rugby is a great game for running into people, dropping the ball and being a sport for people unable to paticipate in other sports. Good for the uncoordinated amongst us.

?? Have you ever watched rugby ? It's far superior technically to football.

Come and have a game, big boy....

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Uncoordinated as in not using ones brain before opening ones mouth( or using ones fingers in your case)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Clearly you are a complete moron. Would you even have the balls to tackle someone running at you at speed? As for skill, how is your record at kicking penalties or conversions from wide or at distance? You should try it some time.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Morgan Parra enjoys a little of the theatrics, irritating little t*sser. Extremely good player though.

I love watching rugby, probably more than footy these days but the sneery attitude towards some of the behaviour in football is embarrassing. It usually comes from people who seem to only remember the pre professional days of not actually celebrating a try etc...

Was so pathetic from Parra. Seen it from some of the Argies as well, but very occasionally to be fair. Needs to be cut out before it catches on

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I'm a fairly big rugby fan and have played both sports. I think ur totally wrong tho mate, football needs far more technical ability. Being a big strong lad counts for a lot in rugby whereas physique isn't as important in football..

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I'm a fairly big rugby fan and have played both sports. I think ur totally wrong tho mate, football needs far more technical ability. Being a big strong lad counts for a lot in rugby whereas physique isn't as important in football..

Come with me to watch the might Harlequins, then your see the technical wizardry !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

There are far more technical rules in Rugby but that doesn't make the ability to play more technical. Catching a ball and running with it is far easier than running with the ball at your feet. I enjoy watching rugby but still prefer football.

As for the moral high ground, exactly when did rugby have that? Let's not forget it is sport where gouging and raking take place of opponents pinned to the ground and helpless, eg Cian Healey for Ireland, in an international no less! Although don't get me wrong, I am well aware fooball has it's own problems

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
There are far more technical rules in Rugby but that doesn't make the ability to play more technical. Catching a ball and running with it is far easier than running with the ball at your feet. I enjoy watching rugby but still prefer football.

As for the moral high ground, exactly when did rugby have that? Let's not forget it is sport where gouging and raking take place of opponents pinned to the ground and helpless, eg Cian Healey for Ireland, in an international no less! Although don't get me wrong, I am well aware fooball has it's own problems

I'm not sure what this reference to the moral high ground is. Rugby has it's share of cheats and bruisers, but I would say, for me, the watching experience is better at league matches. If I watch Quins on a Friday and Albion the following day I'm more intolerant of the coarseness of the crowd, whereas had I not been to the rugby the night before I wouldn't have noticed it so much. Rugby folk are less inclined to be irrational (although this is a generalism) because first and foremost most of them enjoy rugby first and their team second. In football it seems to be the other way round.

It's true of me. I can cope with an England defeat in rugby more than football, although I enjoy rugby more, because in rugby I admire the game and in football I go tribal. So my experience in football renders me to some kind of voluntary submission to a certain behavioural pattern.

It's quite disturbing when I think about it because it can be applied to so many parts of life.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure what this reference to the moral high ground is. Rugby has it's share of cheats and bruisers, but I would say, for me, the watching experience is better at league matches. If I watch Quins on a Friday and Albion the following day I'm more intolerant of the coarseness of the crowd, whereas had I not been to the rugby the night before I wouldn't have noticed it so much. Rugby folk are less inclined to be irrational (although this is a generalism) because first and foremost most of them enjoy rugby first and their team second. In football it seems to be the other way round.

It's true of me. I can cope with an England defeat in rugby more than football, although I enjoy rugby more, because in rugby I admire the game and in football I go tribal. So my experience in football renders me to some kind of voluntary submission to a certain behavioural pattern.

It's quite disturbing when I think about it because it can be applied to so. many parts of life.

Sorry, the reference to the moral high ground was not directed to you but the OP. As for your feelings towards Rugby and Football, I can understand that. Football invokes the passion as people gravitate to their local team and it has traditionally been very tribal. The difference is hardly surprising bearing in mind that, as far as I'm aware, true league style competition has only been going since the70s and probably didn't really get going until rugby became open which was only 18 years ago.

There are plenty of football fans who enjoy rugby, as well as many other sports but I would compare it to watching your kids when they play sport. You are absoulutely buzzing in side when they do well but that doesn't stop you giving a cheer or applause for the opposition when they score a good goal or make a great tackle or save.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here