Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Royal Coach Pub Shoreham

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently Marstons called it 'The Houseboat' as a tribute to the local river houseboats & the unique character they bring to Shoreham.
Bizarrely, however, some of the houseboat owners objected, hence the signage change.

By that token why do Marston's insist on brewing a beer called Pedigree when in fact it has little or no pedigree ?

Shurley a name change to Ditchwater is in order ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
According to their Facebook page, the cask beers in the first week are:

MARSTONS PEDIGREE * EPA * BREAKSPEAR BITTER * JENNINGS CUMBERLAND * HOBGOBLIN

No idea what happens in the second week.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What ?

Pedigree is a magnificent pint.

I need a sit down after reading that.

Magnificent is pushing it a bit. Ringwoods, Jennings and Banks all average IMO. Better than Harvey's though.

I'm looking forward to when the Duke of Wellington start their microbrewery up. You may need a longer detour then DKM.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They won't be able to compete with The Wellington/ The Buckingham or The Bridge Inn on beer quality but if you want or lasagne and chips or a 5 1/2 oz Sirloin steak for £5.99, that's where to head.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Magnificent is pushing it a bit. Ringwoods, Jennings and Banks all average IMO. Better than Harvey's though.

I'm looking forward to when the Duke of Wellington start their microbrewery up. You may need a longer detour then DKM.

What what what ? Duke of Wellington startind a microbrewery - how does that work ?

I go to the Wellington infrequently - but Shoreham is blessed with pubs serving good beer - and there is just something missing there. I dunno. I mean I like it as a pub - but I will rarely go past a few of the other pubs to get there.

And on the Ringwoods/Jennings/Banks - these make me feel a bit uncomfortable. I love Pedigree - but you know when a brewery gets bought and the labels retained - the quality is rarely so good.

I saw you Craft beer posting on the other thread - I will look forward to trying that place out.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
As I said 2 weeks ago...........................

Definitely a Marstons Gastro pub. Like Pitcher and Piano but with the emphasis a bit more foodie that bar-ie.

Should be open in June.

Top Tip: Buy 85 shares in Marstons (currently £1.35 ea) and it will entitle you to 20% off food and accommodation.

To add - this is going to feature Marston's 2 for 1 menu. And the shares do work. I got my discount card through today!

As a Marstons pub manager, I can confirm all the above except the word GASTRO ???
This implies great food, 2 for 1s are not. Yes they are in the Food segment, but the food is no different to other Marstons pubs
But they have pulled off the marketing strategy of the decade.
Yes two meals are for the price of one, but these are mucho more expensive than other Marstons pubs
Add in expensive starters / desserts / drinks and you will spend much more money for no better food.
This is no disrespect Marstons , as I said I work for them and the food generally is very good, but GASTRO pub, like pitcher and piano, sorry, No.
But yes get become a shareholder and get the discounts:laugh:
Be a great place for me on the way to games to stop for a snack,,, with a friend too !

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I think it was more to do with confusion with the emergency services. If someone calls 999 and says there's a fire at the houseboat, they may think its one of the actual houseboats, or vice versa...

This is the version the self styled 'meet and greet' woman told me. 'Fight/fire' at the Houseboat would, to a phone operator who didn't know the area, lead to a potential misdirection.
£2.3m was the final bill for the refurb & they've done it well. So well the reduced size car park was full early 2nd day and the enlarged nice beer garden had one table in use....

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
havent been yet as would always give the place time,but had 2 lots of mates go,staff not being able to serve a proper pint!!!!!food shoddy and not that cheap

I'm a bit of a food snob and this place is definitely not gourmet dining. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Good pub grub. The menu is extensive and I am sure there is very little 'cooking' going on in the kitchen, but all I have had so far have been tasty, hot, served quickly by professional staff and at a very low price - as long as you 2 for 1 it.

If one or 3 people were eating here, you would probably over spend.

There is an excellent range of beers with the cheapest ale only £2.89 (£3.04 for Pedigree), although Peroni was over £4.

I don't think the finer eateries like the Bridge need to worry, but for a mass food family restaurant/pub, this fills a hole in Shoreham rather well.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I went on Wednesday. Bit hectic what with being new but ok as these places go. Typical Harvester/ Brewers Fayre/TableTable stuff. As previous poster states these meals would be way overpriced if it wasn't 2for1. Staff were very attentive and polite though, time will tell if that continues. Will visit again though as it's convenient for me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I popped in on Tuesday lunchtime, but didn't hang around as there was no real ale on at all. I am sure over time that things will settle down and this will be a decent addition to the local scene.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was told there will be a new Ale House in Church Street from September the Old Star, serving only real ale and real cider. As this is timed to coincide with the opening of the new footbridge, you can expect a review from me, should things come together.

I popped in on Tuesday lunchtime, but didn't hang around as there was no real ale on at all. I am sure over time that things will settle down and this will be a decent addition to the local scene.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was told there will be a new Ale House in Church Street from September the Old Star, serving only real ale and real cider. As this is timed to coincide with the opening of the new footbridge, you can expect a review from me, should things come together.

I too was dissapointed at the lack of real ale on Tuesday. Reason apparently that they were cleared out over the weekend as were taken back by how busy. It came is Tuesday morning, but as ale drinkers know - it needs to settle. All were on Wednesday evening.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm a bit of a food snob and this place is definitely not gourmet dining. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Good pub grub. The menu is extensive and I am sure there is very little 'cooking' going on in the kitchen, but all I have had so far have been tasty, hot, served quickly by professional staff and at a very low price - as long as you 2 for 1 it.

If one or 3 people were eating here, you would probably over spend.

There is an excellent range of beers with the cheapest ale only £2.89 (£3.04 for Pedigree), although Peroni was over £4.

I don't think the finer eateries like the Bridge need to worry, but for a mass food family restaurant/pub, this fills a hole in Shoreham rather well.

Surely they are just jostling with Swiss Cottage and The Waterside for the same " clientele " ?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing

Now that does sound interesting, hope it happens

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here