• Good thing

Votes: 18 33.3%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'll be up front, in principle I hate it. I've always understood that defenders get used to the way certain goalkeepers come for the ball or not etc. That's why when you chop and change a lot you let in odd goals. But I trust in De Zerbi so I am conflicted. Personally all the time Steele was doing well I'd have stuck with him. Surely De Zerbi will go with one over the other soon?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Similat thread here: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/keeper-rotation.403153/

De Zerbi's keeper rotations seemed to fly under the radar bit until Arteta started doing the same, with the latter also suggesting he may do mid-game tactical keeper substitutions. I fear he may have given RDZ an idea there.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have no problem with it.

I assume that all the players are training together and get used to a system. And, it minimizes risk if a keeper is injured. In this case the team and keeper know exacting how to play.

The only risk is a dent in confidence for the No. 1 keeper, but that can be handled through people management.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have no problem with it.

I assume that all the players are training together and get used to a system. And, it minimizes risk if a keeper is injured. In this case the team and keeper know exacting how to play.

The only risk is a dent in confidence for the No. 1 keeper, but that can be handled through people management.
It depends on whether or not one of them has been appointed “number one”. I agree with you re having no problem with it and nor should the goalies- they still get paid, they still get 50% of matches, medals if the team wins something and perhaps prolong their careers.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
To be fair none of the goals conceded were his fault .
Rarely are any of the goals conceded his fault, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have done better or been some kind of factor in the goals conceded.

*Edit - I've just watched the highlights on YouTube (couldn't do it last night) and the third goal he saves but it bounces back onto Ponce and in. That's really unfortunate, but he just seems such a small man in goal. Not imposing or likely to make a save you wouldn't expect him to make. I understand why Sanchez threw such a strop at losing his place to a guy whose strength as a goalkeeper is "can kick a ball" rather than can make saves you wouldn't expect.

Last edited:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Similat thread here: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/keeper-rotation.403153/

De Zerbi's keeper rotations seemed to fly under the radar bit until Arteta started doing the same, with the latter also suggesting he may do mid-game tactical keeper substitutions. I fear he may have given RDZ an idea there.
Substituting the keeper, unless they are injured or literally playing so badly they are chucking them in their own net) seems like a massive waste of a sub.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's my least favourite RDZ innovation but I wonder if it's been forced upon him. Steele essentially exceeded all expectations last season. I'm guessing we were already lining up the mechanics of Sanchez out, Verbruggen in. And Verbruggen seems to be a very similar keeper to Steele.

The other way to handle it this season is to have one keeper for EPL and the other for Europa League, League Cup and FA Cup as plenty of other sides have in the past. Had we done that we would have played a 'new' keeper with new centre backs last night.

Having one number one for every game when we're potentially going to play over 50 games isn't really the answer either.

In short, I don't know, it's just my gut feel that it's wrong.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's my least favourite RDZ innovation but I wonder if it's been forced upon him. Steele essentially exceeded all expectations last season. I'm guessing we were already lining up the mechanics of Sanchez out, Verbruggen in. And Verbruggen seems to be a very similar keeper to Steele.

The other way to handle it this season is to have one keeper for EPL and the other for Europa League, League Cup and FA Cup as plenty of other sides have in the past. Had we done that we would have played a 'new' keeper with new centre backs last night.

Having one number one for every game when we're potentially going to play over 50 games isn't really the answer either.

In short, I don't know, it's just my gut feel that it's wrong.
That is a fair summary of how I feel. But equally had you told me that we would always pass the ball round our own box every single time for goal kicks I'd have said nooooooooo, so what the hell do I know?!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Personally my feeling at the moment is I don't like it and that seems to be the consensus from most pro keepers but RDZ is a genius so he thinks it can work and wants to try it, let's see how it goes. We're lucky we have two quality keepers of a level standing.

There was a time that playing a tactic that involves the keeper and centre back passing the ball between each other in their own six yard box would have had the manager certified so things do change!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally my feeling at the moment is I don't like it and that seems to be the consensus from most pro keepers but RDZ is a genius so he thinks it can work and wants to try it, let's see how it goes. We're lucky we have two quality keepers of a level standing.

There was a time that playing a tactic that involves the keeper and centre back passing the ball between each other in their own six yard box would have had the manager certified so things do change!
It worked fine before they brought in the pass back rule!

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I love that we are in the position we are in, with two great keepers that I’d happily have in goal any game.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Two decent keepers, both have different strengths but both can play with their feet. Verbruggen may improve over the season and get more game time...who knows.

Currently Bart has played in matches against big strong sides that like to crowd the box and offer an ariel threat. Bournemouth may be another of those sides.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Might be interesting if one starts making mistakes and the other doesn't. The whole psychology of goalkeeping tells me that rotating doesn't work. Today was always going to happen because of the way we play which I love but I worry if he does it again, and Steele never does.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
So this video is primarily about Onana/UTD but interesting section in the second half of the video about how Brighton and Arsenal are thinking about keeper rotation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here