Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roof work - how much?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I'm at work today but stop the clock: 10:57 and he's arrived at my house for the day.

Well, I say 'day'....

He does not mind the early start then :lol:

Breakdown of working hours in a day

Arrive 11am

Suss out / decide work for the day 11am to 11.30am

Sort out materials etc 11.30am to 12 noon

12 noon to 1pm work

1am to 1.30pm Dinner (but it is Friday so always add another 15 minutes!!)

1.45pm to 2pm bit more work

2pm to 2.15pm go for a walk around Bozza Mansions

2.15pm to 3pm pack up all tools and materials for the day.

3pm. It's POETS day so must shoot..........see you on monday :wave:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
12:40: He's done and gone.

Apparently a bit taken back by being told to come back Monday to discuss money. Still no bill.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Has he finished the job completely?
Do you know any builders down there who could have a look at his workmanship over the weekend?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has he finished the job completely?
Do you know any builders down there who could have a look at his workmanship over the weekend?

He's finished, yes. Apparently wife was there with him today, so I'm guessing that will be 2 * £175 (for 1.5 hours work).

We're in Sussex all weekend, but I'm trying to see if we can find any friend of a friend who could come round on Monday.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You ought to get Hitony to pop over the bridge, sounds as if he is building knowlegable, fellow mod so he's bound to be on your side:wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You ought to get Hitony to pop over the bridge, sounds as if he is building knowlegable, fellow mod so he's bound to be on your side:wink:

I'd happily pay someone who I can trust to a degree to give the work a once over for quality and tell me what it should be costing. I'd pay them more to be with me when I have to have the awkward conversation!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Is he on check-a-trade or have you tried googling him for reviews/comments?

- - - Updated - - -

Is he on check-a-trade or have you tried googling him for reviews/comments?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nothing I can find, no.

The invoice has yet to appear. I might phone him and tell him to stick it through my door over the weekend.

Would seem sensible to get it b4 discussion ..given the trade he is in I would expect him to b VAT registered ..but more importantly the breakdown if costs work done is going to form the basis of your 'discussion' ...having someone to look at the work beforehand seems sensible but personally I wudnt hav them with you when u talk to him as that sounds confrontational ..and yes it's going to be awkward when you do talk to him ..but I wudnt be forced into paying the total bill immediately ..was there anything in writing re the £1400 ..didn't u say u thought that was the total amount?

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Might be worth a quick call to your local building inspectors office, he may well be "known". A friend found out his recommended builder had not only messed up the footings for his extension, the next door neighbour extension (whence the recommendation came) needed underpinning as these were exposed when the building inspector turned up and hadn't been sufficient. It transpired that the builder was known to them for skipping out on people with unfinished and not up to code work.

Jimmy boy 69

Nov 24, 2012
Brighton
What are the ballpark figures for...

A roof bloke to work on your roof per hour or per day
Lead flushing
Replacement tiles

I'm a roofer my self day rate is 120 / 140 per day and 60 / 80 for labourer if your local to me I could give u a reasonable quote pm me if interested...

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I'm a roofer my self day rate is 120 / 140 per day and 60 / 80 for labourer if your local to me I could give u a reasonable quote pm me if interested...

I think you might want to add a bit of petrol money to your day rate, Bozza lives near Bristol :D

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think thats the Bristoool accent

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here