[News] Roll Up! Roll Up! Anyone Else Want To Go On Strike?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I look upon the strikers with pure envy, imagine having a job where people actually care if you withdraw your services. As a photographer Ive seen the price of my images decrease by about 85% over the last ten years, should I go on strike, well maybe, but nobody would give a flying f**k. :mad:
:shrug:
Maybe you should join a Union and see if all Photographers withdrawing their services together would make a difference ?

Personally I think if you're a grown up adult, you make your choices and take the consequences without whining :shrug:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I concur with the opening posters sentiment.

I'd highlight how totally out of touch the unions are. If they keep going with the argument for inflationary rises what do they think will happen to inflation and prices. It certainly isn't going to start falling any time soon unless employers are sensible.

I do hope we’re being whooshed with the above. Tell us about the inflation busting pay rises that employees (regardless of sector) have been having that have caused this inflation? (Spoiler: There weren’t any)

Substantial pay rises are inevitable across all sectors because without them workers cannot afford food, shelter, or transport.

They need all of these things, and this attempt to cut the link between employment and being able to afford basic living costs is dangerous and shows the level of naked greed being exhibited by those backing our current government.

The only reason I can possibly come up with to not support those on strike is if you’re sitting Smaug-like on a mountain of gold and care nothing for the generations coming after.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Utterly speechless. Bloody minded or what? I bet you don't lose many arguments (in your own head at least)
What are you talking about ? I don’t support the striking bin men. I want them to carry out the service they are contracted to provide and which is included in my council tax. Bearing that in mind I am not prepared to inconvenience myself as a consequence of their actions. You do know that everyone who disagrees with you isn’t bloody minded, right ?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Maybe you should join a Union and see if all Photographers withdrawing their services together would make a difference ?

Personally I think if you're a grown up adult, you make your choices and take the consequences without whining :shrug:
I'm not whining and FYI I'm in the NUJ, but thats my point, you cant fight against the laws of supply and demand.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Guys, if you think the strikes are disruptive just wait until it snows next week…

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What are you talking about ? I don’t support the striking bin men. I want them to carry out the service they are contracted to provide and which is included in my council tax. Bearing that in mind I am not prepared to inconvenience myself as a consequence of their actions. You do know that everyone who disagrees with you isn’t bloody minded, right ?
I was more thinking of plastics, metal and glass going into landfill so you can make your point.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not whining and FYI I'm in the NUJ, but thats my point, you cant fight against the laws of supply and demand.
Well I'm sorry, but you have one of three alternatives

Take a more active role in the NUJ and see if you can get them to act on your behalf (and people who are in similar situations) and maybe withdraw your labour
Up your rates to a level that you think is reasonable for the job you do (that always worked for me)
Seek an alternative

And I'm really not trying to be facetious, but this is where we are, and the shit environment we are in (which is, whatever way you spin it, what the majority wanted and voted for).

Genuinely sorry :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's snowing oop 'ere already
Yeah but you lot can handle it. A few flakes down here and there won’t be any trains to strike from anyway.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Stick to the Brexit threads eh. Rather than continually arguing with other posters
Hadn't seen this when I spent time trying to give a long, honest and supportive reply. Maybe you knew what you voted for, got exactly what you deserved and are now whining about it :facepalm:

Good luck (y)

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There won’t be room in either bin. If I leave it outside in a bag the foxes will open it and inside will just create clutter. I am happy with the current system of fortnightly collections for each type of refuse. If they can’t do that then I just have to adjust.
Yeah it's a pain. We had a bin strike round our way last year. Ended up with a pile of recycling just sitting in our conservatory bit.

It was a pain. But tolerable because I want to recycle.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Tories love trotting out the ‘politics of envy’ trope whenever the notion of progressive taxation is mooted.

The real politics of envy is those not in a trade union who are envious of those who are and as such have the power to take collective action to protect their rights.

Don’t be envious of unions, aspire to protect your rights in the same way they do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How you people continue to vote Tory is beyond me. Surely you are now on a place to try something different?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
That would be a more reasonable argument if we hadn’t already been through a decade of wage stagnation. But BOTH sectors have seen relatively flat wages throughout that period, which amounts to a real term pay cut. On top of all that, we’re now ALL being asked to show restraint at a time of galloping inflation.

There are no pips left to squeak. People are going under and they’ve had enough. It’s not sentiment. It’s survival.
This. Since 2010 the public sector have had to endure pay freezes due to austerity, they have fallen so far behind they are at least 10% down even before the recent inflation and energy price rises

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
How you people continue to vote Tory is beyond me. Surely you are now on a place to try something different?
I think part of the reason is they preach that a low tax economy and smalller state is tried and trusted way. But what the Tories really mean by that is (low tax economy)=tax breaks for the rich (their friends and donors) and (smaller state)= less regulation i.e. tax havens / loopholes for the wealthy and less rights and the bare minimum public services for the public

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This. Since 2010 the public sector have had to endure pay freezes due to austerity, they have fallen so far behind they are at least 10% down even before the recent inflation and energy price rises
I am no economist so am interested in understanding austerity and is knock on effects.

From the outside looking in it seems that as a response to the GFC it has caused no end of problems in the UK.

Australia took an opposite tactic and tried to stimulate the economy through building programs and even stimulus payments to get people spending. We seem to have bounced back from the GFC far quicker.

I have read the suggestion that austerity was also a huge driver in Brexit for the double whammy f*** up.

Still I suspect it is all the fault of the leftie wokists. Who seem to be the latest Scape goat for your born to rule overlords.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports