Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Roll Up! Roll Up! Anyone Else Want To Go On Strike?

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
I did state in my opening post that it was a personal rant - selfish as well, maybe. As I’ve answered in another post that I’m sure all the grievances are justified - as yours are - it’s just that it is so frustrating that everywhere you turn there seems to be an industrial action of sorts taking place. Peace and goodwill and all that!
Can I say most of my post wasn't directed at you. I was also in rant mode with years of frustration coming out. The others have put it in much a better, more considered manner than me. Divide and rule is exactly the phrase that comes to mind.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
So here is my own personal little rant. Mrs.Punal and I are spending Christmas abroad for the first time ever. It is to be a fabulous family gathering in snowy climes. Everything seemed to be in place - train to and from Gatwick Airport to catch our flight. That is now buggered up because which ever rail union has decided to walk out on our travel dates. Now, the Border Control wallies have decided they want to f*** up anyone travelling abroad by also going on strike as well. Thanks a bunch.

Believe me, I am not anti Trades Union - I was a Union member myself. At the moment though I am starting to believe that there is almost some sort of conspiracy among the Unions to disrupt everyday life in this country to maximum effect. If that is the case, well bully for you.

So now we are in the Christmas season - goodwill and joy to everyone. Yeah - right! Let’s totally disrupt the Great British public as much as possible, really make them miserable and ruin whatever festive plans they have. Thanks chaps for everything, I will be thinking of you and your selfish posturing whilst I’m in some interminable queue trying to get from A to B. I hope Santa does an almighty Christmas dump on you all. :rant:
The Unions are not stupid - it isn't a co-incidence that there is so much industrial action in the lead up to Christmas. The unions have justified concerns about the impact on the living standards of their members following the perfect storm of the world recession, Brexit, Covid and post-covid, Putin's invasion of Ukraine and a Tory government - Christmas presents them with the perfect opportunity to cause the most disruption and the highest level of leverage on the Government and employers by their members withdrawing their labour. I suspect this wave of industrial action has been planned and co-ordinated via the good offices of the TUC for some time. That said they are treading a very fine line in terms of obtaining and retaining public support which could wither on the vine quite quickly if the disputes continue for too long.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So here is my own personal little rant. Mrs.Punal and I are spending Christmas abroad for the first time ever. It is to be a fabulous family gathering in snowy climes. Everything seemed to be in place - train to and from Gatwick Airport to catch our flight. That is now buggered up because which ever rail union has decided to walk out on our travel dates. Now, the Border Control wallies have decided they want to f*** up anyone travelling abroad by also going on strike as well. Thanks a bunch.

Believe me, I am not anti Trades Union - I was a Union member myself. At the moment though I am starting to believe that there is almost some sort of conspiracy among the Unions to disrupt everyday life in this country to maximum effect. If that is the case, well bully for you.

So now we are in the Christmas season - goodwill and joy to everyone. Yeah - right! Let’s totally disrupt the Great British public as much as possible, really make them miserable and ruin whatever festive plans they have. Thanks chaps for everything, I will be thinking of you and your selfish posturing whilst I’m in some interminable queue trying to get from A to B. I hope Santa does an almighty Christmas dump on you all. :rant:
Enjoy the upcoming airport /airline staff strikes as well at the same time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given any old Tom, Dick or Harry is just waved into the country, will anyone actually notice the border patrol on strike?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The bin men are on a 5 day strike up here. It just means this week’s recycling will go in bin bags for next week’s non recyclables collection.
If you're going to bin bag it just leave it in the bin bags until the recycling bin has some space and then put it in :shrug:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If I was feeling the smug type I’d use the term “that’s just whataboutery” but I find people who use that tend to be cretins.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am one of the Border Force “wallies” of which you speak. Allow me to provide some context.

There are two unions largely representing Border Force Staff: the Public & Commercial Services Union (PCS) and the Immigration Service Union (ISU). It is the PCS that has announced strike action today.

I am a member of the ISU. Therefore this particular wally will still be on hand to attend to you over the festive period. The ISU recently balloted its members on strike action. The result was strongly in favour of striking but only on a 46% turnout: below the 50% threshold required to mandate industrial action.

My ISU colleagues will be present over the festive period. It’s possible our leave arrangements might be rescinded to provide cover. It’s too early to say. I’m working over the big days anyway so it makes little odds to me. We are also currently training the military personnel who will be brought in to break any strikes. I’m sure you can imagine how fulfilling that is.

I could go on and on and, indeed, on about the many industrial injustices that have been meted out to me and my colleagues over the past decade. I shan’t because…

A) It would take forever.
B) It makes me sad.
C) It could get me in hot water.
D) If you know anybody at all working in the public sector, then you’ll know what they’ve been doing to us, because they’ve been doing it to everybody. We’re nothing special. Police. Paramedics. Prisons. And that’s just the Ps.

I’m truly sorry if your holiday comes to grief. If it does, it won’t be because of me. However, may I politely venture that you are displaying precisely the reaction this government wants? Divide and rule. Oldest trick in the book and the buggers keep getting away with it.
I appreciate the injustices meted out to you and your colleagues for many years. What I don't understand is why you would want to train those being brought in by your paymasters to try to break the strike nor why your union would allow you to do it.

Just because the ISU fell short of the 50% turnout to stage your own strike it does not excuse aiding and abetting strikebreakers (or "scabs" as we traditionally used to refer to them). Your brothers and sisters in the PCS are going to take a dim view of that - and rightly so.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If you're going to bin bag it just leave it in the bin bags until the recycling bin has some space and then put it in :shrug:
There won’t be room in either bin. If I leave it outside in a bag the foxes will open it and inside will just create clutter. I am happy with the current system of fortnightly collections for each type of refuse. If they can’t do that then I just have to adjust.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've had to go into London recently. 3 of the last 4 trains I was due to catch were cancelled, the next ones were standing room only and the 4th was late (no driver). It does seem that years of cutting services to the bone and sending the profits out of the industry are the chickens coming home to roost. My recent experiences - with Avanti admittedly who are piss poor at the best of times - is that the railways are utterly broken. It seems like we are set for more of this. Border force, Nurses and signs of revolt in MoJ.

From now on, I'm just going to stay in my lounge if i can.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I concur with the opening posters sentiment.

I'd highlight how totally out of touch the unions are. If they keep going with the argument for inflationary rises what do they think will happen to inflation and prices. It certainly isn't going to start falling any time soon unless employers are sensible.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I appreciate the injustices meted out to you and your colleagues for many years. What I don't understand is why you would want to train those being brought in by your paymasters to try to break the strike nor why your union would allow you to do it.

Just because the ISU fell short of the 50% turnout to stage your own strike it does not excuse aiding and abetting strikebreakers (or "scabs" as we traditionally used to refer to them). Your brothers and sisters in the PCS are going to take a dim view of that - and rightly so.
I took union advice on the issue. All the time that the military were simply “observing”, it was deemed to be a reasonable management request. Refusal to assist would lead to disciplinary action.

They did ask me to oversee some trainees performing the role themselves, at which point I was able to decline on the basis that I am not a member of the training team myself. So I did.

Fun, huh?

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I concur with the opening posters sentiment.

I'd highlight how totally out of touch the unions are. If they keep going with the argument for inflationary rises what do they think will happen to inflation and prices. It certainly isn't going to start falling any time soon unless employers are sensible.
That would be a more reasonable argument if we hadn’t already been through a decade of wage stagnation. But BOTH sectors have seen relatively flat wages throughout that period, which amounts to a real term pay cut. On top of all that, we’re now ALL being asked to show restraint at a time of galloping inflation.

There are no pips left to squeak. People are going under and they’ve had enough. It’s not sentiment. It’s survival.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Hmm. Seems the hard times we knew were coming are not for a select few.

So glad that this generation didn't have to fight a World War - probably would have had mass conscientious objections

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There won’t be room in either bin. If I leave it outside in a bag the foxes will open it and inside will just create clutter. I am happy with the current system of fortnightly collections for each type of refuse. If they can’t do that then I just have to adjust.
Utterly speechless. Bloody minded or what? I bet you don't lose many arguments (in your own head at least)

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I look upon the strikers with pure envy, imagine having a job where people actually care if you withdraw your services. As a photographer Ive seen the price of my images decrease by about 85% over the last ten years, should I go on strike, well maybe, but nobody would give a flying f**k. :mad:
:shrug:

el punal

Hmm. Seems the hard times we knew were coming are not for a select few.

So glad that this generation didn't have to fight a World War - probably would have had mass conscientious objections
Never underestimate the British pluck. I seem to remember when the Falklands War kicked off there was industrial action everywhere. When it was announced that a task force was being prepared and that all sorts of ships had to be made ready to sail within a couple of days everyone helped out. The dockers in Southampton worked around the clock to ensure that this was done.

We, as a nation, may be a whingey bunch at times but when it really matters we always look out for each other.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I hear now that Santa has gone on strike in sympathy with the poastal workers !
Border Force won't let him in, no point trying to get a train or ringing for an ambulance if he crashes............only ones not on strike will be the thin blue line who will probably lock him up !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here