Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Roll Up! Roll Up! Anyone Else Want To Go On Strike?

el punal

So here is my own personal little rant. Mrs.Punal and I are spending Christmas abroad for the first time ever. It is to be a fabulous family gathering in snowy climes. Everything seemed to be in place - train to and from Gatwick Airport to catch our flight. That is now buggered up because which ever rail union has decided to walk out on our travel dates. Now, the Border Control wallies have decided they want to f*** up anyone travelling abroad by also going on strike as well. Thanks a bunch.

Believe me, I am not anti Trades Union - I was a Union member myself. At the moment though I am starting to believe that there is almost some sort of conspiracy among the Unions to disrupt everyday life in this country to maximum effect. If that is the case, well bully for you.

So now we are in the Christmas season - goodwill and joy to everyone. Yeah - right! Let’s totally disrupt the Great British public as much as possible, really make them miserable and ruin whatever festive plans they have. Thanks chaps for everything, I will be thinking of you and your selfish posturing whilst I’m in some interminable queue trying to get from A to B. I hope Santa does an almighty Christmas dump on you all. :rant:

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Southern , Gatwick express and thameslink voted to join the aslef strikes now aswell

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Now you've mentioned it, a bit of time off for the end of the world cup would be lovely

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Border Force going on strike wont affect people departing the UK as we dont do immigration checks when leaving the country, so you will at least get away ok.

Coming back however....

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Yep! But then after a while any sympathy or support from the public will wear thin, then what?
Then, if people still aren't being paid enough to live on, they'll have to go and get a different job (as the tories are always telling us we should) and then there still won't be anybody to staff the railway/airport/hospital/school/etc.

And then you'll moan about the shit service they offer, while the shareholders continue to rake it in

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Some sort of conspiracy? The reason so many public sector workers are striking is because of this rotten, corrupt, Tory government.

In answer to your question "Anyone else want to go on strike?", I believe junior doctors might/are likely to strike some time early next year, so yes there are more who want to strike.

The alternative to striking is to just leave, which is what's happening in the NHS (not sure about other public services but I suspect it's the same).

I can't prove it but I bet the ones complaining loudest are Tory voters, who have basically got what they voted for, and screwed up the country for the rest of us as well.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
So here is my own personal little rant. Mrs.Punal and I are spending Christmas abroad for the first time ever. It is to be a fabulous family gathering in snowy climes. Everything seemed to be in place - train to and from Gatwick Airport to catch our flight. That is now buggered up because which ever rail union has decided to walk out on our travel dates. Now, the Border Control wallies have decided they want to f*** up anyone travelling abroad by also going on strike as well. Thanks a bunch.

Believe me, I am not anti Trades Union - I was a Union member myself. At the moment though I am starting to believe that there is almost some sort of conspiracy among the Unions to disrupt everyday life in this country to maximum effect. If that is the case, well bully for you.

So now we are in the Christmas season - goodwill and joy to everyone. Yeah - right! Let’s totally disrupt the Great British public as much as possible, really make them miserable and ruin whatever festive plans they have. Thanks chaps for everything, I will be thinking of you and your selfish posturing whilst I’m in some interminable queue trying to get from A to B. I hope Santa does an almighty Christmas dump on you all. :rant:
I am one of the Border Force “wallies” of which you speak. Allow me to provide some context.

There are two unions largely representing Border Force Staff: the Public & Commercial Services Union (PCS) and the Immigration Service Union (ISU). It is the PCS that has announced strike action today.

I am a member of the ISU. Therefore this particular wally will still be on hand to attend to you over the festive period. The ISU recently balloted its members on strike action. The result was strongly in favour of striking but only on a 46% turnout: below the 50% threshold required to mandate industrial action.

My ISU colleagues will be present over the festive period. It’s possible our leave arrangements might be rescinded to provide cover. It’s too early to say. I’m working over the big days anyway so it makes little odds to me. We are also currently training the military personnel who will be brought in to break any strikes. I’m sure you can imagine how fulfilling that is.

I could go on and on and, indeed, on about the many industrial injustices that have been meted out to me and my colleagues over the past decade. I shan’t because…

A) It would take forever.
B) It makes me sad.
C) It could get me in hot water.
D) If you know anybody at all working in the public sector, then you’ll know what they’ve been doing to us, because they’ve been doing it to everybody. We’re nothing special. Police. Paramedics. Prisons. And that’s just the Ps.

I’m truly sorry if your holiday comes to grief. If it does, it won’t be because of me. However, may I politely venture that you are displaying precisely the reaction this government wants? Divide and rule. Oldest trick in the book and the buggers keep getting away with it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 17, 2008
I understand your disappointment but this has been coming for a decade or more at this point. The constant cuts to services, rising inflation, laughable pay packets for key workers and Tory mismanagement have led us to this.

It’s the 70’s all over again, as with the winter of discontent under Callahan and Labour, it’s the decade or more of mismanagement - this time by the Tories - and taking the public for granted which has led us to this.

So yes, I completely understand your frustration and disappointment but this was a bomb waiting to go off.

What a f***ing shit show all round.

el punal

Why were you a union member if you don't believe in the right to withdraw your labour ?
I did withdraw my labour. My opening post was a personal one - selfish, if you like. I’m sure everyone in any Union up and down to the country has a grievance and are looking to improve their lot. But I’ve not known this amount of Union disruption since the 1970s. I have no doubt that the grievances are genuine but boy it certainly is affecting people’s way of life, and yes, the government definitely need to get a handle on it.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
You have to have a well tuned antenna these days when planning trips, holidays etc. Personally, holding back on a lot of things but more willing to use more costly taxi’s than rail. Definitely an undercurrent to give the Tories a bleeding nose

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

That’s exactly the point of a strike.

el punal

I am one of the Border Force “wallies” of which you speak. Allow me to provide some context.

There are two unions largely representing Border Force Staff: the Public & Commercial Services Union (PCS) and the Immigration Service Union (ISU). It is the PCS that has announced strike action today.

I am a member of the ISU. Therefore this particular wally will still be on hand to attend to you over the festive period. The ISU recently balloted its members on strike action. The result was strongly in favour of striking but only on a 46% turnout: below the 50% threshold required to mandate industrial action.

My ISU colleagues will be present over the festive period. It’s possible our leave arrangements might be rescinded to provide cover. It’s too early to say. I’m working over the big days anyway so it makes little odds to me. We are also currently training the military personnel who will be brought in to break any strikes. I’m sure you can imagine how fulfilling that is.

I could go on and on and, indeed, on about the many industrial injustices that have been meted out to me and my colleagues over the past decade. I shan’t because…

A) It would take forever.
B) It makes me sad.
C) It could get me in hot water.
D) If you know anybody at all working in the public sector, then you’ll know what they’ve been doing to us, because they’ve been doing it to everybody. We’re nothing special. Police. Paramedics. Prisons. And that’s just the Ps.

I’m truly sorry if your holiday comes to grief. If it does, it won’t be because of me. However, may I politely venture that you are displaying precisely the reaction this government wants? Divide and rule. Oldest trick in the book and the buggers keep getting away with it.
I did state in my opening post that it was a personal rant - selfish as well, maybe. As I’ve answered in another post that I’m sure all the grievances are justified - as yours are - it’s just that it is so frustrating that everywhere you turn there seems to be an industrial action of sorts taking place. Peace and goodwill and all that!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I did state in my opening post that it was a personal rant - selfish as well, maybe. As I’ve answered in another post that I’m sure all the grievances are justified - as yours are - it’s just that it is so frustrating that everywhere you turn there seems to be an industrial action of sorts taking place. Peace and goodwill and all that!
Fair enough :giggle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here