Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Cant believe he brought Enciso on, purpose made situation for Billy Gilmore IMHO
Yeah bit worried about that. Does he think he’s not good enough or something? He’s not giving him much game time, even when like today, Mac Allister and Caicedo weren’t really great.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah bit worried about that. Does he think he’s not good enough or something? He’s not giving him much game time, even when like today, Mac Allister and Caicedo weren’t really great.
Was surprising because Gilmour played really well against Arsenal in the middle of the park.

Enciso energy is great but he does run around a bit like he’s won a competition

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cant believe he brought Enciso on, purpose made situation for Billy Gilmore IMHO
I instantly called the move he eventually made.

Veltman on Groß through the middle, I have no idea why that wasn't his go too move.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Which adds to my theory that Sanchez should stand his ground at penalties as so many are now down the middle.
Last time I had an argument about this with a friend of mine we found that statistically it's the goalkeeper's best option, albeit only by a few percent compared to going either way.
Obviously it wouldn't take long for people to notice if you always just stood in the middle though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lallana was playing as the 10 in front of Caicedo and Ali in midfield I thought, so a like for like. Billy would have more likely replaced one of those two ?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Veltman on Groß through the middle, I have no idea why that wasn't his go too move.
But that didn’t work either.

Personally I thought it was tailor made for Gilmour to come on when Lallana went off. After Wednesday I’m surprised both he and Lamptey didn’t get more minutes.

Love our new manager, he might be my favourite one here for two decades

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People banging on about an expected result seem to forget we went ahead in the first minute and then Lallana went off. I suspect the latter fact had more effect and unsettled us due to his ability to 'coach' on the pitch. Add in the fact that, once again, a PGMOL ref is inadequate at dealing with time wasting and the odds were against us.
Villa were time wasting even when they were losing. Later on the goalkeeper oaf took an out-of-play ball and kicked it onto the pitch while we were about to take a throw. It wasn't spotted. The injury feigning. The fouling. Absolute shite. I hope they go down.

Bob the manager said on the radio that the ref was crap because he allowed the time wasting. He said something along the lines of 'this is the English Premier league, the best league in the world, and Villa behaved like this is Italy'. Quite funny.

Anyway, never mind. Lessons will be learned.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Welcome back to earth, some of you....

As I've said about a million times, tactics and passion and instructions and shit are all very nice and sweet but it really is the players that win and lose games, and there is no surprise that pretty much the same set of players as in the last two years would also struggle with what they've struggled with for those years.

I want to see a bit of Evan Ferguson in these types of games. Not saying he should be a starter, or come as a sub in every game, but when they are defending with 10 men around their own penalty box and you try to combine through the middle... good luck. Need to use the width and cross it to someone who can actually head the

Personally I think RdZ got the Lallana sub wrong, to me Dunk was having a stinker and needed Veltman, Pascal could have then moved forward, and got closer to Welbeck (which tactically was not happening).

Potter used to successfully switch several times a game, so even though the players apply them, in reality actually how you set up and what you do is fairly significant IMO.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Last time I had an argument about this with a friend of mine we found that statistically it's the goalkeeper's best option, albeit only by a few percent compared to going either way.
Obviously it wouldn't take long for people to notice if you always just stood in the middle though.
Can you imagine the furore and abuse Sanchez would get if he just stood still for a penalty and it went to one of the side; not worth the risk to his safety.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Agree, either that or Gilmour on would have been the most logical thing. Don't really understand the Enciso decision. Maybe he thought after the goal Villa would attack more and Enciso could be useful on the counters? Didn't really work out in that case. The consequence of the substitution was that Villa was 3 against 2 in central midfield (though it is a bit unclear exactly where young mr Ezequiel Maupay was supposed to play).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lallana was playing as the 10 in front of Caicedo and Ali in midfield I thought, so a like for like. Billy would have more likely replaced one of those two ?
Exactly as I see it ….all the questioning of subs is using a lot of hindsight ..even the Chelsea supporter is joining in

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Your naive if you think tactics play none or even only a minor part

Personally I think RdZ got the Lallana sub wrong, to me Dunk was having a stinker and needed Veltman, Pascal could have then moved forward, and got closer to Welbeck (which tactically was not happening).

Potter used to successfully switch several times a game, so even though the players apply them, in reality actually how you set up and what you do is fairly significant IMO.
Tactics play a part, but its not close to important as quality & attributes among the players. Bringing on Enciso didn't help the team, but lacking players who thrive in crowded penalty area has proven to be costly many times and could potentially have sorted a point today. There was no chance of getting to good opportunities through the center, and for anyone on the wings there was really nothing to cross the ball to either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here