Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Squad limitations were exposed today. On a positive note Roberto De Zerbi is not Gra-ham Potter therefore today's defeat was not as bad as it would have been because he's an altogether better class of Albion manager.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It all went pear shaped when Lallana went off. De Zerbi f***ed up bringing Enciso on rather than Gilmour, he lost every single ball he went for before he was subbed.

Bad day at the office worsened by the weakest ref I have seen this season. He let Villa get away with shitehousing and time wasting all game.

Called the end result 30 mins into the game :down:.

Villa bossed us

To round it off the exit from the Uni carpark was an absolute shambles
Gross should’ve replaced Lallana with Lamptey or Veltman the sub IMO

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He will be a superstar but it was a decision that back fired today. To me he looked completely ou of his depth :shrug:
Oh I agree ….but you kind of only find out by playing him ..he was suited to the role (which meant no change of kshape’) ..just didn’t measure up to the challenge

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No. Gilmour is (to me at least) more in the Ali Mac/Caicedo mould…….Lallana was in the no 10 slot, which is more suited to Enciso so it made sense to me at the time (I might be doing BG a disservice but haven’t seen enough of him), particularly after how he played in the week. If Sarmiento had been fit suspect he’d have been brought on
I agree, but I think there was more of a case for putting on Gilmour and moving Ali Mac forward to do that role in Lallana’s place

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It all went pear shaped when Lallana went off. De Zerbi f***ed up bringing Enciso on rather than Gilmour, he lost every single ball he went for before he was subbed.

Bad day at the office worsened by the weakest ref I have seen this season. He let Villa get away with shitehousing and time wasting all game.

Called the end result 30 mins into the game :down:.

Villa bossed us
I don’t think anyone can predict when someone is going to be off their game or that The Llama would succumb but Enciso should have been taken off much earlier and Tross was totally ineffective from the start - I agree it’s not hindsight to recognise that at the time

Just a litany of errors really - timing of WC, unexpected injury and well … playing Villa in front of a crap ref with VAR conspicuous by its absence when it mattered - fcuk it - moving on …

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think anyone can predict when someone is going to be off their game or that The Llama would succumb but Enciso should have been taken off much earlier and Tross was totally ineffective from the start - I agree it’s not hindsight to recognise that at the time

Just a litany of errors really - timing of WC, unexpected injury and well … playing Villa in front of a crap ref with VAR conspicuous by its absence when it mattered - fcuk it - moving on …
It’s only the weak ref and the complete f*** up by VAR that is keeping me from being despondent about today. We were robbed

The second Villa goal was very very poor from the Albion though.

theboybilly

Personally I think RdZ got the Lallana sub wrong, to me Dunk was having a stinker and needed Veltman, Pascal could have then moved forward, and got closer to Welbeck (which tactically was not happening).

Potter used to successfully switch several times a game, so even though the players apply them, in reality actually how you set up and what you do is fairly significant IMO.
Lallana went off in the 5th minute - do you really think Dunk was that poor in the first 5 minutes, bad enough to make that call?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lallana went off in the 5th minute - do you really think Dunk was that poor in the first 5 minutes, bad enough to make that call?
Yes been picked up already. (See #1403)
Silly point on my part, but he looked uncomfortable on the right initially and got a lot worse.

It was a poor sub, when IMO there were better options which would have supported our shape.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just goes to show how daft all those people who came back at those of us criticising Potter’s tactics this time last year during our horror run with “well who would replace him, nobody could do better” were

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here