[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
That result tonight has been coming. Not because RDZ is suddenly a bad coach or the players are not good enough, out of the blue shock results and performances like that happen every now and again when you are such a system based team.

Anyone who has read a lot about Guardiola and other similar system reliant managers knows these results happen now and again, you have to accept it and know they are worth the greater good.

The writer and journalist, Jonathan Wilson, who has studied Pep extensively explains it better than I but when you have a team who are totally reliant and bought into such a strong tactic coached by their manager, every now and again they have a day when things don’t go right or the other team surprises them. Their plan A doesn’t work at all, their shellshocked and they don’t know how to deal with it as well as a team who are more reliant on individual players and personality rather than a team system. Guardiola has had many games like this in his long career.

As I say, it’s frustrating but today shouldn’t come as a surprise and we’ve got a brilliant manager and group of players who I’m sure will bounce back playing the great football we’re used to.
Well said. Manager and team in having off day shock. It happens. I'm struggling to get too down about it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That result tonight has been coming. Not because RDZ is suddenly a bad coach or the players are not good enough, shock results and performances like that happen every now and again when you are such a system based team.

Anyone who has read a lot about Guardiola and other similar system reliant managers knows these results happen now and again, you have to accept it and know they are worth the greater good.

The writer and journalist, Jonathan Wilson, who has studied Pep extensively explains it better than I but when you have a team who are totally reliant and bought into such a strong tactic coached by their manager, every now and again they have a day when things don’t go right or the other team surprises them. Their plan A doesn’t work at all, their shellshocked and they don’t know how to deal with it as well as a team who are more reliant on individual players and personality rather than a team system. Guardiola has had many games like this in his long career.

As I say, it’s frustrating but today shouldn’t come as a surprise and we’ve got a brilliant manager and group of players who I’m sure will bounce back playing the great football we’re used to.
Shock results happen to all teams, there's nothing any manager can do that will guarantee winning every game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Shock results happen to all teams, there's nothing any manager can do that will guarantee winning every game.
Absolutely. It’s not so much the result but more the manner of the performance I was getting at. That team was unrecognisable tonight and I put it down to what I said.

We’ll bounce back. The players will have to, I can’t imagine the bollocking they’d have got from RDZ tonight! 😂

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Absolutely. It’s not so much the result but more the manner of the performance I was getting at. That team was unrecognisable tonight and I put it down to what I said.

We’ll bounce back. The players will have to, I can’t imagine the bollocking they’d have got from RDZ tonight! 😂
It may well be down to that, at least in part, I just think it's important to remember that all teams occasionally have an off day, no matter what approach they take.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gives the impression that he’ll be with us for some time to come. Candid about squad strengthening in a non-Poyet way, I like that.

IMG_4113.png

Palacebob

Jan 22, 2023
How did you guys and gals honestly feel when you signed rdz? I bet hardly any Brighton fan thought it would have been quite as good as it is. Obviously you're laughing now but at the time you must have been gutted losing Potter?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
New goal celebration gif?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How did you guys and gals honestly feel when you signed rdz? I bet hardly any Brighton fan thought it would have been quite as good as it is. Obviously you're laughing now but at the time you must have been gutted losing Potter?

Brief grieving mainly because Chelsea took long serving staff members too.

But then very soon afterwards realising that RDZ was better and the reason why Bloom/Barber were like Cheshire Cats when they announced his appointment. So in a word, elated.

Chelsea suffering the season from hell was also the perfect remedy.

Palacebob

Jan 22, 2023
Brief grieving mainly because Chelsea took long serving staff members too.

But then very soon afterwards realising that RDZ was better and the reason why Bloom/Barber were like Cheshire Cats when they announced his appointment. So in a word, elated.

Chelsea suffering the season from hell was also the perfect remedy.
Did you enjoy watching his downfall at Chelsea? No manager would have sorted them overpaid massive ego/squad out. He didn't stand a chance really.
But we all know he's a fantastic manager. Even I felt quite sorry for him.
If he came to palace so you think he'd be a success?

Palacebob

Jan 22, 2023
Did you enjoy watching his downfall at Chelsea? No manager would have sorted them overpaid massive ego/squad out. He didn't stand a chance really.
BTW I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I didn’t want it to work out due to the way he left here, but he’s a decent bloke.

It was funny to see him deprive car crash Boehly of £12m in compensation.

I reckon Parish will give Hodgson next season. After a career of pragmatic mass defence football with the counter attack, post retirement he’s morphed into someone setting out teams to attack-attack-attack.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was gutted. It had taken three years of slow progress to get to the point where it looked like we'd cracked it. The last 8 games of last season and the start of this had us getting the results and goals our performances had previously 'deserved' but not got.

Then he f***ed off taking all of our first team coaching staff including club legend Bruno and left us staring into a potential abyss.

I knew nothing of RDZ before he joined but any doubts I may have had about how the club would cope without Potter were soon dispelled and within a few months Potter was banished from my thoughts/concerns. De Zerbi is more charismatic and his team play a more exciting, aggressive form of football than Potter. It's far more enjoyable dominating games and scoring a hatful than dominationg games and losing 1-0.

Potter played an important part in our recent history but as far as I'm concerned that's all he is now; history.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yep, thought that was it, peaked and dropping back. Especially after his first press conference. Who is this guy??!!

I went to his first game at Anfield, lamenting Potters departure, and realised he was something special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports