Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I would be very surprised if he is on £10m a year or anywhere near that when potter was on around £2.5 m plus bonuses

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't watch it at the moment but will come back to it later, I enjoy watching these videos that show tactics as all these little puzzle pieces slotting into place, it's very aesthetically pleasing.

Being no tactics connoisseur myself though, I think a generic way to describe the describe De Zerbi-ball might be "creating a counter without losing the ball first". It would have been impossible (or much more difficult) years ago when teams didn't come pressing so high up the pitch as a unit, and preferred to keep a low block or a middle block when they didn't have the ball instead. But now that they do occupy the same areas when pressing without the ball as an old-school team would have occupied when attacking with the ball, you can basically find yourself in a counterattack transition position without ever having to first lose possession and then get it back in defense (as you'd do in the past.)
Never shine daylight on magic.

Gosh, I really miss listening to Danny Baker on the radio on a Saturday morning :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DeZ seems to get analysed as much as virtually any other manager in the game (my son who is an analyst himself so follows these things more closely then me sees loads of it) - absolutely tons of stuff about his teams and tactics online.
Up there with Roy?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Never shine daylight on magic.

Gosh, I really miss listening to Danny Baker on the radio on a Saturday morning :(
Agreed, it's a fun exercise to make though, like interpreting Rorschach shapes. And as I said, I do like this kind of videos from an aesthetic standpoint and for their theoretical efforts, but - through no fault of their own - they're necessarily simplifying and reducing in 3-4 moves something that is much much more nuanced and that changes with each match.

Not being a Brit I've no idea who Danny Baker is but that's a good quote

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Regarding salary, Potter getting £2 million a year at Brighton is way off! According to The Athletic, his salary was 'understood to be in the region of £7million to £8million per year.' So similar for Roberto would be expected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed, it's a fun exercise to make though, like interpreting Rorschach shapes. And as I said, I do like this kind of videos from an aesthetic standpoint and for their theoretical efforts, but - through no fault of their own - they're necessarily simplifying and reducing in 3-4 moves something that is much much more nuanced and that changes with each match.

Not being a Brit I've no idea who Danny Baker is but that's a good quote
Yes, I am forever amazed by football analysis and the absolute genius of top modern coaches (like Bob DZ). It all makes sense when I read it or listen. When I am watching football I largely operate at gut level, and the way we play now is like watching a symphony, if you follow me. Something I could never write or play myself.

Baker is very English....

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Regarding salary, Potter getting £2 million a year at Brighton is way off! According to The Athletic, his salary was 'understood to be in the region of £7million to £8million per year.' So similar for Roberto would be expected.
Whack an extra million or two on that for Roberto and get an extra year or two added on as well. He's a football genius manager.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I am forever amazed by football analysis and the absolute genius of top modern coaches (like Bob DZ). It all makes sense when I read it or listen. When I am watching football I largely operate at gut level, and the way we play now is like watching a symphony, if you follow me. Something I could never write or play myself.

Baker is very English....
You and me both. I started watching football with Junior when he was about 5 years old...........I remember him very early on asking me what a w&nker was, and why were the fans singing that the referee was one - he's now got a BSc in Sports Science, and MSC in Performance Analysis (100% football related) and has worked as one full time for 4 years - watches the game completely differently to me now - I can't keep up and regularly embarrass myself at matches with him :laugh:

'Booo ! That was ******* miles offside you *****'

'No it wasn't :shrug:'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You and me both. I started watching football with Junior when he was about 5 years old...........I remember him very early on asking me what a w&nker was, and why were the fans singing that the referee was one - he's now got a BSc in Sports Science, and MSC in Performance Analysis (100% football related) and has worked as one full time for 4 years - watches the game completely differently to me now - I can't keep up and regularly embarrass myself at matches with him :laugh:

'Booo ! That was ******* miles offside you *****'

'No it wasn't :shrug:'
Can you divulge a few other (more serious) examples of you being schooled by your little one?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can you divulge a few other (more serious) examples of you being schooled by your little one?
Loads every game…….tactical adjustments I hadn’t noticed, who was at fault for goals (for example which player might have been out of position and why)…..stuff like that…..pretty much a constant flow of info

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Which is obviously not correct, why would Brighton with limited resources have given £8m a year - definitely top 5 salary in the league at that point - to a rookie manager? The entirety of his contract might have been £7-8m.

To caveat, Fab hasn’t been that accurate with Brighton scoops however

Examples?
No reason to believe this isn't true.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Seems to have been an influx of twitter stories about RDZ today. In today alone I have read that Inter Milan have made an approach for RDZ, another one that says RDZ is unhappy with the lack of control he has with transfers, and now this Fabrizio tweet about a release clause that could be activated in the summer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Which is obviously not correct, why would Brighton with limited resources have given £8m a year - definitely top 5 salary in the league at that point - to a rookie manager? The entirety of his contract might have been £7-8m.

Examples?
No reason to believe this isn't true.
Think you and the other posts are pure guesswork.

However would add Barber is one of the highest paid CEO's in the EPL

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pretty definitive from Naylor on De Zerbi's "release clause":

View attachment 158876
If only an nsc poster had wrote this on here 27 times whilst everyone was discussing the imaginary ‘release clause’ that barely exist and Potter also DID NOT HAVE 🤣🙌

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Release ? Buyout ?

It’s compensation - not a release clause. Compensation means the club have to give permission etc etc - release clause means they don’t. So many lazy assumptions have appeared on it but it’s very simple!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The club didn't have a release clause for Potter. The club had a long term contract with him and Chelsea wanted him to break that contract to become their new manager. Due to that the club entered into negotiations with Chelsea to allow him to be released from his contract. It resulted in a world record fee for a manager.

It's exactly the same as a player transfer. If Chelsea had said actually we will only pay £10m instead of £21m then the club would've been well in their rights to block that move. Instead they negotiated a fee that they felt was reasonable for the loss and the manager was happy to leave.

The reality of course is that Brighton had to remain quite strong to get that fee for Potter because he was well out of the door by the point Barber received LA Todd's phone call, but he wasn't immediately allowed to leave based on a set release fee in his contract.
Possibly - but the key thing is it would have been in his contract and agreed and obviously signed by Potter etc. Could have been a set fee for amount of weeks or months left on contract. I don’t think it was ‘negotiated’ as such - it was in the contract and that’s the fee you have to pay to ‘release’ him from it and to compensate us - only if we agree to the move of course.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Potter was not getting £8m at Brighton - where does the athletic say that ? Maybe over the course of his contract but def not a season .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here