Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other sulkster under RDZ was Trossard. Who I was genuinely sad to see leave, but it suited both parties and we didn't suffer for it (because we had an absolute ready-made superstar to take his place).

Everything I heard this season was how the players love RDZ and have fully bought into his methods. A couple didn't, so off they pop. They won't be missed, because we have so much talent coming through. Sanchez is very replaceable. He weren't that great anyway.
You’re wrong though. RDZ publicly falling out with Trossard, and the public breakdown of the relationship with Sanchez, DO hurt the club. The club ‘suffer’ to the tune of (conservative estimate) £10m in lowered transfer revenue.

Nothing at all unusual about a manager falling out with players. But RDZ really needs to grow up a bit in this single aspect of his management, and learn to keep things in-house.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I see Sanchez is now advertising this barber post on his own insta. No shame. He really is a moron of the highest order. Another one to add to the booooooo list.
Yep, just saw that. That seems a very intention public move, sharing the post the barber made basically advertising to the world that a transfer is happening or that he's agitating for one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting. Surely we don’t sell both Sanchez & Caicedo to Chelsea, right?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sanchez wants to go to Chelsea?

Really? Does he actually enjoy bench warming then?

At both ends of his team, Pochettino's approach blends the modern and the traditional. His goalkeepers need to be adept at distributing both short and long with their feet, as well as having the speed and agility to sweep up outside their area (an aspect that Hugo Lloris particularly excelled at in his prime).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd much rather we used Sanchez as the bargaining chip for Colwill than Caicedo.
That would be a bit like using your VW Golf to bargain for a Bentley wouldn’t it?

Or is that too harsh???

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You’re wrong though. RDZ publicly falling out with Trossard, and the public breakdown of the relationship with Sanchez, DO hurt the club. The club ‘suffer’ to the tune of (conservative estimate) £10m in lowered transfer revenue.

Nothing at all unusual about a manager falling out with players. But RDZ really needs to grow up a bit in this single aspect of his management, and learn to keep things in-house.
Stretching it a bit. Trossard obviously had his move on the cards for a long time, RDZ saw this and wouldn't take any nonsense.

He's treated Rob Sanchez with complete respect from our perspective. Stating his anxiety when he dropped him and giving an honest footballing reason for doing so. That decision was 100% correct. Steele has been the best ball-playing keeper in the league. If you ask me he's been too nice by playing him at Wembley and not bringing on Steele for the pens.

Not sure why RDZ should pander to players trying to engineer moves or not wanting to fight for their place.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That would be a bit like using your VW Golf to bargain for a Bentley wouldn’t it?

Or is that too harsh???
Not at all. I was going to go with, it's like trading in Ann Widdecombe for Jennifer Lawrence

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Or is that too harsh???
Yes it is too harsh. He's a decent keeper, and I think if we played football in any other way other than the RDZ way, Steele would never have got a look in. He's right to want to leave, we have the wrong manager for him. He didn't have to be a complete prick about it like he has though.

How much is Sanchez worth? £25 million? £30 million? It's a decent chunk off any potential Colwill fee.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What has RDZ done wrong with Sanchez? Every public announcement I think I’ve seen is RDZ saying what a great lad he is etc.

He appears to have a squad of players willing to run through walls for him. Not sure how much growing up he needs to do?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Interesting how a large volume of posters have decided that Sanchez is/was rubbish, seemingly just because he's looking to leave. Sanchez was an is a very, very good goalkeeper who had the occasional ricket in his game and has a fairly recent attitude problem. He isn't out of favour (footballing-wise) because he's a bad keeper, it's because Steele has adapted better to RDZs way of playing the game.

He started more or less 50 games in a row at one stage (and it was only that few on account of a suspension for a red at Villa), nearly 90 matches in total and is in Spain's top 3 current keepers.

Yeah, his attitude stinks, but let's not pretend that someone isn't going to get a very good goalkeeper for a knockdown price. Last season we were talking about bids of upwards of £50m for him, now we'll barely scrape £20-£25m.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd much rather we used Sanchez as the bargaining chip for Colwill than Caicedo.
Sadly though, he isn't much of a bargaining chip, because as HKFC identified with Trossard, it doesn't look like we're giving up much when it is public knowledge that the player wants out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
None of these players
Interesting how a large volume of posters have decided that Sanchez is/was rubbish, seemingly just because he's looking to leave. Sanchez was an is a very, very good goalkeeper who had the occasional ricket in his game and has a fairly recent attitude problem. He isn't out of favour (footballing-wise) because he's a bad keeper, it's because Steele has adapted better to RDZs way of playing the game.

He started more or less 50 games in a row at one stage (and it was only that few on account of a suspension for a red at Villa), nearly 90 matches in total and is in Spain's top 3 current keepers.

Yeah, his attitude stinks, but let's not pretend that someone isn't going to get a very good goalkeeper for a knockdown price. Last season we were talking about bids of upwards of £50m for him, now we'll barely scrape £20-£25m.
Brentford are asking £40m for DR who is way way better than Sanchez. Sanchez loses concentration for a PL keeper to blunder that ball at Palace was the last straw for RDZ, proper lower league stuff was that.
If we get £20m that covers our new keeper so all good.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I think we need to look at the fees Brentford are getting for Raya as a barometer.

They’re asking for 40m for one of the leagues best performers last season. Spurs are looking to pay nearer 30m.

If we can get 20-25m for Sanchez with some add-ons that isn’t so bad (assuming Raya will go for nearer 30m fee).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

I’m not saying we should hold out for £50m because that isn’t happening, but we should still hold out for £20/30m. If nobody bids it then he stays with us & can have some more time wasting his career. We shouldn’t just bow to his stroppy behaviour & give him away for peanuts.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

I’m not saying we should hold out for £50m because that isn’t happening, but we should still hold out for £20/30m. If nobody bids it then he stays with us & can have some more time wasting his career. We shouldn’t just bow to his stroppy behaviour & give him away for peanuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here