Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Catching up with old faces, or just popping along to see Chelsea get thrashed for the second time in a few days?

Sanchez catches up with familiar faces
Brighton goalkeeper Robert Sanchez – a Chelsea target - was an interesting and interested spectator sat just in front of the Stamford Bridge press box.​
He might have been more than happy to be back after being part of a Brighton side who won brilliantly here just a few days earlier.​
And whether it was his former Brighton goalkeeper coach Ben Roberts, now on Chelsea’s staff, or the Spain international teammates he had on both sides, there would have been plenty of familiar faces for him to catch up with.​

Source: The Mail. Yes, yes I know.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Mr Bloom, we have someone with a wheelbarrow of cash wanting to talk to you...

Screenshot_20230419-123336.png

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
It'll be no surprise if he joins his mentor at Chelsea. Just a question of whether Chelsea meet the fee required.
Given he's still young for a GK, he's home grown, contracted to 2025 and can play out with his feet, but prone to a fumble/dramatic error, and has been gazumped by Steele.

What kind of fee is appropriate, ~40m?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Firstly, not many players go and watch matches at a club they want to join. Far more likely just catch up with Ben and maybe Marc

Also, they don't have a manager, they don't have any idea what style they will be playing next season. Spending big would be a stupid idea, (though i'm not putting it past them)

But if he is going there ..... Is he going there to displace Kepa? More likely he would be swapping one bench for a much better paid other bench.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Would he be back up keeper? If so that would be cup games only as Chelsea have no European competitions next season.
Meanwhile at BHA his position is unknown with Steele out at the moment. He could be backup here which could mean European games.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The potential of a move to Chelsea would have a couple of major obstacles.

Chelsea have spent nearly £600m on new players in the last 12 months meaning that they are going to have issues with FFP in the summer, and where would a new goalkeeper come into their piorities? Especially as we won’t sell Rob on the cheap.

They are searching for a new manager and that manager may have a coaching team that includes a goalkeeping coach meaning that Ben Roberts is no longer needed. Winstanley may want Sanchez but that may be irrelevant if the new coach has other ideas.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Firstly, not many players go and watch matches at a club they want to join. Far more likely just catch up with Ben and maybe Marc

Also, they don't have a manager, they don't have any idea what style they will be playing next season. Spending big would be a stupid idea, (though i'm not putting it past them)

But if he is going there ..... Is he going there to displace Kepa? More likely he would be swapping one bench for a much better paid other bench.
I'd say most/all PL keepers have had their weak moments this season - but Kepa's been pretty good since he got back into their first team

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am torn between Sanchez and Steele. Sanchez gives me more palpitations with the ball at his feet, which a “must do” for an RDZ keeper. Steele is better at it. I prefer Sanchez as a shot stopper and ball into the box catcher though :shrug:

Sanchez plays on Sunday though, no?

I imagine he was at Stamford Bridge, catching up with Roberts and some of his Spanish team mates…..and Once a Seagull, always a Seagull (spit) :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spaniard watches Real Madrid play an hour from home...
With Spanish team mates on both sides, and his former boss (who probably gave him the concession ticket)

Dean Cox often watched our London games when he was playing at Orient, and both Knocky, and Ulloa sat near our fans at games.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The potential of a move to Chelsea would have a couple of major obstacles.

Chelsea have spent nearly £600m on new players in the last 12 months meaning that they are going to have issues with FFP in the summer, and where would a new goalkeeper come into their piorities? Especially as we won’t sell Rob on the cheap.

They are searching for a new manager and that manager may have a coaching team that includes a goalkeeping coach meaning that Ben Roberts is no longer needed. Winstanley may want Sanchez but that may be irrelevant if the new coach has other ideas.
Also the obstacle that the fanbase aren't going to be hugely enthused by the idea of them buying another Brighton player (certainly not a second choice) for the sort of money we would want.

And that they are not obviously short of a keeper but are painfully short of a striker and will have to divert all FFP wiggleroom to this end.

And that they have too many players generally, many of whom, will be very hard to shift on the wages they are on, they will have to be much less scattergun with their signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here