Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And I forgot to make the main point.

95% of Sussex fans are Albion fans. Most Albion fans in some way follow local sport including the cricket

Selling the central Hove site with a vague promise that we're going to relocate in Sussex somewhere would be reopening some serious wounds. Any chief exec who proposed that would be labelled Bellotti Mk2

The fans would never consent
Your analogy would have legs if Sussex were, well taken out of Sussex, a decent ground in HH or BH would be ok right? We are all Sussex?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I don't want Sussex to leave Hove. There would only be any point if the club wanted to host men's internationals. There's too much competition for that already. It's a lovely place to which people like coming. There are some medium term plans to increase capacity with new stands and hospitality. If you read last year's excellent book "Field of Dreams" about the history of the County Ground, you will see that the long term strategy has been to extract marginal gains from cricket and non-cricket activities.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't want Sussex to leave Hove. There would only be any point if the club wanted to host men's internationals. There's too much competition for that already. It's a lovely place to which people like coming. There are some long term plans to increase capacity with new stands and hospitality. If you read last year's excellent book "Field of Dreams" about the history of the County Ground, you will see that the long term strategy has been to extract marginal gains from cricket and non-cricket activities.
Well said.

To make it worth leaving Hove, I'd want to see a compelling business case plus a persuasive argument that the cricket community of Sussex is best served by uprooting from our ancestral home and starting somewhere else.

The idea that we'd somehow grow and improve Sussex cricket in Burgess Hill or similar to me is total pie in the sky. Not to mention the issues we'll have finding and purchasing a prime site with that footprint.

Sussex cricket fans should love what they have. Our ground is wonderful

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Sussex chair, 'I am convinced that Rob's appointment at the ECB shows the depth of their intention to fully support the 18 first class counties for men's cricket'.

... Am I being paranoid to find that statement worrying?
Presuming you support the idea of 18 counties -- no. The new-ish chair of the ECB, Richard Thompson, is a big supporter of this setup rather than regionalisation. Jon Filby the Sussex chairman is too. So I assume that Rob Andrew -- for all his other faults -- agrees with both of them.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Presuming you support the idea of 18 counties -- no. The new-ish chair of the ECB, Richard Thompson, is a big supporter of this setup rather than regionalisation. Jon Filby the Sussex chairman is too. So I assume that Rob Andrew -- for all his other faults -- agrees with both of them.
Not sure what Rob Andrew wants. He oversaw the conversion of the pub into apartments but not sure what else. He’s never struck me as a cricket man, despite his pledges of commitment to Sussex.

I wonder if Adams, Prior, Gould are waiting to pounce

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well said.

To make it worth leaving Hove, I'd want to see a compelling business case plus a persuasive argument that the cricket community of Sussex is best served by uprooting from our ancestral home and starting somewhere else.

The idea that we'd somehow grow and improve Sussex cricket in Burgess Hill or similar to me is total pie in the sky. Not to mention the issues we'll have finding and purchasing a prime site with that footprint.

Sussex cricket fans should love what they have. Our ground is wonderful
What about Beeding Cement works? :)

(Yes I am joking! Fully agree with you)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here