[News] Roald Dahl being updated for modern times

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is, of course, a complete load of bollocks. They going to change all the Chaucer and Shakespeare texts that have been taught in schools for centuries? There are some sad people out there with some strange preoccupations. Get a life, it’s part of history. Stop sanitising everything.
No. They tend to only revise children’s books.

Young adults and adults can figure out the context and place in history of certain words and themes.
Children cannot.

Its either revise then or consign them to the dustbin of history as parents look for more suitable and current material for their kids.

So there is no need for any alarmist “they’re going to change Chaucer” cries.

It’ll all be fine 👍

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you're correct, apparently his books have been selling like hot cakes. Kerching! I also understand that Netflix now own the rights to his works.
Ah. That’s slipped by most people. WokeFlix own the rights? That’s why they’ll be insisting on rewrites.
Is this true?

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Where did all this nonsense really start? Was in DJ Mike Read when he banned Frankie goes to Hollywood for a bit of creative writing?
Life is no fun anymore.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Where did all this nonsense really start? Was in DJ Mike Read when he banned Frankie goes to Hollywood for a bit of creative writing?
Life is no fun anymore.
Because they have taken the word “fat” out of a book, your life is not fun anymore? To be fair, doesn’t sound that fun before 😂😂

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Should I now feel guilty for continually telling my children they would end up fat if they eat too much junk food. Enormous would have been so much better.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Because they have taken the word “fat” out of a book, your life is not fun anymore? To be fair, doesn’t sound that fun before 😂😂
A word so small and descriptive as fat has never hurt anyone really has it, will they remove skinny then?
What should I call fat Freddie now? He knows he is fat and he calls me bones, he laughs I laugh, you'd be surprised what fun we have.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Remember we are a free country

Freedom is the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint

This means we do not go back and attempt to revise books, art , songs Poems etc - accept them for what they are , a product of the time .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A word so small and descriptive as fat has never hurt anyone really has it, will they remove skinny then?
What should I call fat Freddie now? He knows he is fat and he calls me bones, he laughs I laugh, you'd be surprised what fun we have.
Ha! Only meant as a joke. Personally, there’s nothing in Roald Dahl books I wouldn’t read to kids.

As mentioned before, this is Netflix. They pander to imagined “wokery” and add trigger warnings for scenes where someone is crying or looking upset.

I hope they don’t buy up too many properties. They f*** everything up.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Life is no fun anymore.
Well I would guess sometime before the BBC banned 'When I'm cleaning windows' by George Formby. The trouble is with the Bloody wokeist, PC, snowflake cancellists. these days you can't even say you're Engl....

Every time @Beanstalk explains the reason behind this, it is followed by a page full of angry people posting almost as if they are don't have sufficient attention span to read a post, let alone a whole book :lolol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Freedom is the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint

This means we do not go back and attempt to revise books, art , songs Poems etc - accept them for what they are , a product of the time .
You do realise its a private company/person, acting freely of their own volition, in a free market, that is choosing to make these changes, don't you?

No one is preventing the previous editions to exist, no state or body is mandating banning, or any burning of books, or that the previous editions should not be read, or sold.

DELETE THE DRAMA, it will be good for your blood pressure.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Enid Blyton had several books rejected by her publisher in the 60’s and 70’s, “The Ugly Black Doll” etc. Even back then some of her stuff was regarded as racist.

Her Golliwogs were removed from her books some time ago. Yet kids still read and enjoy Noddy without the “little black thieves”.

As far as history goes, actually rather interesting to see both old and new versions of such books.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
07ED3723-CDA0-4583-8813-2C5BA962D043.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You do realise its a private company/person, acting freely of their own volition, in a free market, that is choosing to make these changes, don't you?

No one is preventing the previous editions to exist, no state or body is mandating banning, or any burning of books, or that the previous editions should not be read, or sold.

DELETE THE DRAMA, it will be good for your blood pressure.
I say KEEP THE DRAMA, it may be bad for the blood pressure, but it is very entertaining for the rest of us :lolol:

You have to keep explaining in simpler and simpler terms until you get accused of being 'condescending'. Then you know the penny has finally dropped :thumbsup:

I'll bet one of the next 3 posts will prove my point.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sadly we do now. :(

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I say KEEP THE DRAMA, it may be bad for the blood pressure, but it is very entertaining for the rest of us :lolol:

You have to keep explaining in simpler and simpler terms until you get accused of being 'condescending'. Then you know the penny has finally dropped :thumbsup:

I'll bet one of the next 3 posts will prove my point.
Ssshhh, genius at work.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Ha! Only meant as a joke. Personally, there’s nothing in Roald Dahl books I wouldn’t read to kids.

As mentioned before, this is Netflix. They pander to imagined “wokery” and add trigger warnings for scenes where someone is crying or looking upset.

I hope they don’t buy up too many properties. They f*** everything up.
Ha, thought so, I will never get Netflix's as it will waste far too much of my day when I could be joking with fat Freddie, I sort of hope it all back fires on them.
No doubt fat freddie will be eating another doughnut now, he loves doughnuts, his teeth have taken a hammering with all that sugar.He once told me he hopes he dies with a yum yum fully emerged in his mouth. What a character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports