Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Roald Dahl being updated for modern times

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t really have an opinion on the re-writing but I’m going to get one … ( an opinion)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Remember we are a free country

Freedom is the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint

This means we do not go back and attempt to revise books, art , songs Poems etc - accept them for what they are , a product of the time .

. . . It also means that the owners of the copywrite of books, songs poems etc are free to revise and change them as they see fit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I say KEEP THE DRAMA, it may be bad for the blood pressure, but it is very entertaining for the rest of us :lolol:

You have to keep explaining in simpler and simpler terms until you get accused of being 'condescending'. Then you know the penny has finally dropped :thumbsup:

I'll bet one of the next 3 posts will prove my point.
I love the fact that while people are banging on about freedom like a made up William Wallace. They are also advocating for the owners of this intellectual property to be BANNED from revising it and insisting that others share their opinions and 'just get over it'.

I will also say that there are a number of excellent opposing opinions on this thread also.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
History books, archaeological books, medical literature all get updated as we become more enlightened.

I have no issue with Roald Dahl being rewritten, any kids books in fact. Update them or watch them drift into obscurity and off the shelves.

If it’s kids books, they should be revised to suit our children’s sensibilities.
And it is really only children’s literature that gets revised.

Nobody is going to be rewriting Thomas Hardy or Keats. Because adults are capable of realising it’s of its time. Kids don’t have the comprehension to understand that. So it’s right their books are revised from time to time.
Wait til people find out how much fairy tales have changed to suit more modern sensibilities over the years. The pearl clutching will go into overdrive.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wait til people find out how much fairy tales have changed to suit more modern sensibilities over the years. The pearl clutching will go into overdrive.
Disney alone have cleaned up dozens of tales. Cinderella being a good example.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's a revised and adapted tale as old as time.

FWIW I hope the market pushes back on this and people buy the older versions. I like the rough and ready language of Dahl. But then I've always liked those gruesome and somewhat disturbing old fairy tales too.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Fixtures! :lolol:

The colour of his coat does seem an odd thing to change. At the end of the day though, as others have mentioned, this is nothing more than a cynical attempt by big business to maximise the profits of their newly acquired IP. Much like Disney decided to remove the scenes of rape, cannibalism and torture from Grimm's fairytales to make them more palatable to young 20th century audiences.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I say KEEP THE DRAMA, it may be bad for the blood pressure, but it is very entertaining for the rest of us :lolol:

You have to keep explaining in simpler and simpler terms until you get accused of being 'condescending'. Then you know the penny has finally dropped :thumbsup:

I'll bet one of the next 3 posts will prove my point.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That’s reasonable… can I have two then…. One on Brexit and one on favourite biscuits please.
Of course,

I like to dunk and hope for the best - £5.00

Malted milk - £5.00

Admin fee - £7,000.00

That’s £7010.00 please.

As a fat child I was called "slim Jim" , an ironic phrase considering my name isn't Jim. In class some once called out "hey lardarse, the boards this way" lol that was the teacher. In the 70s teachers could say and do what they liked!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
As a child I remember reading an illustrated story about a boy having his thumbs cut off. Checking it out online I see that in 1845 a German doctor wrote a series of precautionary tales for his three year old to keep him on the straight and narrow. The tales come under the name 'Struwwelpeter' and the one I remembered was 'The story of the thumb sucker'

A thumb-sucking boy was told to stop it by his mother but when she went out he started it again. Then a roving tailor passing by, cut his thumbs off with his scissors.

Scissorman.jpg

Try reading that to a 3-year-old today!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As a child I remember reading an illustrated story about a boy having his thumbs cut off. Checking it out online I see that in 1845 a German doctor wrote a series of precautionary tales for his three year old to keep him on the straight and narrow. The tales come under the name 'Struwwelpeter' and the one I remembered was 'The story of the thumb sucker'

A thumb-sucking boy was told to stop it by his mother but when she went out he started it again. Then a roving tailor passing by, cut his thumbs off with his scissors.

View attachment 157525

Try reading that to a 3-year-old today!
Thank goodness he wasn't a cocksucker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Plenty of big stories today, be it the invasion of the Ukraine or even the death of commentary legend Motty; for the papers to stick on their front pages.

You have to be some kind of right wing non-dom culture war stoking c*** to the lead with Dahl story yet again! Even the Sun got it right FFS!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Plenty of big stories today, be it the invasion of the Ukraine or even the death of commentary legend Motty; for the papers to stick on their front pages.

You have to be some kind of right wing non-dom culture war stoking c*** to the lead with Dahl story yet again! Even the Sun got it right FFS!

Love how they have crowbarred in the royal family though. How can anyone read that tripe.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Should I now feel guilty for continually telling my children they would end up fat if they eat too much junk food. Enormous would have been so much better.
I think my parents should say ’sorry’ for traumatising me as a child with stories that … if children

…tell lies they will be burnt alive

… run away they will be eaten alive by a lion

or

put anything in their mouth apart from food they’d soon be dead

😳

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here