Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Dickie Davies

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
89, what a great innings, RIP.

I’ve childhood memories of their Saturday afternoons covering minority to the UK sports/events such as The Tour De France (that’ll never catch on here) with Merckx and surfing from Hawaii. Glamour in a bigger world at that time. As well as some of the boxing greats …. commentated on by Reg Gutteridge.
Er…… 94!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Part of my youth growing up (albeit tended to be more Grandstand than WoS) but do you really think fake wrestling interspersed with 4 or 5 horse races is better than what you can watch now?
Was referring to the quality of presenter. (Stelling apart).

This is supposed to be a thread of reflection/respect rather than comparison of sports programmes?

I find the whole SSN team appalling for example, so yes I’d take Dickie Davies over all of the .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Went to a three day company conference years ago and Dickie and Frank Bough compered the whole event. In the evenings we had a bit of cabaret and a comedian came on ( Dave Ismay ).....he looked at the two and said.....
" Evening Frank....and you Dickie....looking like a rabbits arse "

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
His legendary 'Cup Soccer' slip up in 1985, but the consumate professional, he apologised and smiled to camera.

Remember one WOS Xmas show and he pulled in Eric Morecambe, at the time the Beeb's top star, as his studio guest that day, some classic improv from the great man with DD replacing Ern as the straight man.

Golden days

RIP

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Has @Frutos let his mod power go to his head with this thread or did he indeed check with @Cowfold Seagull first… Intrigued to find out…

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
RIP.
he won sports personality on ITV for 200 years..

fantastic presenter.
Well he WAS the only sports personality on ITV for 200 years!

What an innings though, lived until he was 94, and still had his wife with him too. Thats just the way that l'd like to go, l'd be hopeless on my own.

R.I.P.

theboybilly

Football Focus with Sam Leitch, Athletics with Ron Pickering (not Ronnie), M/cycle scrambling, Formula 2, Peter O'Sullivan's racing commentary, the imperious Bill McClaren, Eddie Waring for Rugby League, versus Seaside Wrestling with Kent Walton on ITV...hmmm. Even the football results were done better on the BBC. Grandstand was far, far superior to gimmicky WoS.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I also loved BBC Sportsnight on Wednesday’s for boxing and football, and ITV aired highlights of magical European club games with the likes of Gerald Sinstadt commentating.

Dynamo Dresden, St Etienne, Grasshopper's.
After the Goldstone 1972 and Wembley in 1978, the next ground I visited (also in 1978) was Dynamo Dresden!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
First there was David Coleman (1958 - 1968 BBC) then came Dickie (1968 to 1985 ITV). In these days of live sport and unlimited channels it's unbelievable that back then we had a few hours on a Saturday. Still cant work out how the wrestling always ended at 4:34 in time for the results at 4:40 (10 min 1/2 time back then as well).
To me he was the voice of sport.
I was always excited when they said there'd be a bit of rally cross, unmissable Saturday TV!

Jul 7, 2003
Oops must have been mid seventies if the Steelers were winning everything. I remember poor old Dickie trying to explain the rules one week... :lolol:
WoS definitely showed very brief NFL highlights before C4 was around. Probably only the SuperBowl and maybe the Championship games only though, not as a regular thing.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I remember another one, cliff diving from Acapulco!
You beat me to it. That was one of the strangest ones. Didn't they also feature high diving off what looked like a terribly fragile silver crane that took about 5 mins to climb?

And how about the Canadian lumberjack sports which included log rolling?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here