Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Dickie Davies

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
First there was David Coleman (1958 - 1968 BBC) then came Dickie (1968 to 1985 ITV). In these days of live sport and unlimited channels it's unbelievable that back then we had a few hours on a Saturday. Still cant work out how the wrestling always ended at 4:34 in time for the results at 4:40 (10 min 1/2 time back then as well).
To me he was the voice of sport.
Don't know if you are being serious...but 4.34pm was all in the wrestlers script for that afternoon...I had a student job in Bristol doing the time keeping hence ITK 😉

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Also remember scrambling, speedway and hill climbing were regular sports on his shows. Always seemed that the competitors got totally caked in mud.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As a youngster when the Albion were away. it was always an afternoon switching between Grandstand and World Of Sport depending on what sport they were showing at that particular time.

Fond memories

RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also loved BBC Sportsnight on Wednesday’s for boxing and football, and ITV aired highlights of magical European club games with the likes of Gerald Sinstadt commentating.

Dynamo Dresden, St Etienne, Grasshopper's.
For some reason I remember AEK Athens were big around this time as well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
RIP, what a run but I’m not sure how he got to be 94 if he was born in 1933

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A great anchorman.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought he was already dead years ago.
Ooooops

I don't even remember what his voice sounded like because I only remember him from seeing him through the window of the Radio Rentals TV shop in Motherwell where everyone used to gather after leaving Fir Park so that they could see the results of all the other matches coming in. Back in the days when everyone kicked off and finished at the same time.

Except of course Torquay United. They always seemed to be an evening kick off. Never ever did find out why they played in the evening back then ?

Answers on a postcard to ...........

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I also loved BBC Sportsnight on Wednesday’s for boxing and football, and ITV aired highlights of magical European club games with the likes of Gerald Sinstadt commentating.

Dynamo Dresden, St Etienne, Grasshopper's.
Sportsnight was a great programme - maybe Sportsnight with Coleman at some point?? I think the wonderful Harry Carpenter is worth a mention too but yes RIP Dickie Davies - another stalwart of Saturday afternoons for us of a certain age!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sportsnight was a great programme - maybe Sportsnight with Coleman at some point?? I think the wonderful Harry Carpenter is worth a mention too but yes RIP Dickie Davies - another stalwart of Saturday afternoons for us of a certain age!
Harry Carpenter on Sportsnight was simply a sports fan, one of us, who’d fallen into his dream job.

Seemed such a great bloke too, he loved the sporting heroes and let them steal the show. None of the look at me crap from some of the noisy equivalents now …. Fletch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whilst looking at a few articles, I checked out one on our very own Des. Claims that in the 2098 honours list he gets an OBE. Jesus, he's 80 at he moment, by the time he receives this, he'll be 155!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here