Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rhinos in Mozambique now extinct

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The trouble is, it is too late now for numerous species now, We have wiped thousands off the face of the Earth.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The kenyans however have a zero approach and will shoot to kill any suspected poachers cause i asked a ranger what sentences the poachers would get if caught, he just said death. The tourist dollar is now bringing big money into impoverished areas so it pays keep the attractions alive

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Have some faith in humanity.... Consider how far we have come in a short time, in just over a century, particularly in regards to human rights and animal conservation... Humanity's main problem has always been gaining too much power in a short time.

So far we have very much been a destructive species, but we are still young, it has always been through ignorance - and the species is very much still in its adolescence - but we are learning and history shows we are making remarkable steps in eradicating our destructive force, and improving as a species just as we always have done. Our planet just like every other planet is finite, but the human race and life on earth doesn't have to be :)

The UKIP vote today doesn't fill me with confidence

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Humanity has nothing to do with eating animals. It's down to what you think is cute or adorable.

Cow, Whale, Chicken it's all the same process by the time it ends up on a plate.

Do you cry inside too when a rat has its spine broken in a trap and its left struggling for life foe a few hours?

last time I needed to catch a rat I used a humane trap. Crying inside is a little dramatic but i certainly wouldn't want to cause a rat any more suffering that is necessary (although to be fair my usual method of controlling mice and rats is not so thoughtful but then she is a cat).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So you've never bought meat that was produced by a farmer who has made his living by using animals as a food resource?

You're indignation is hilarious.

Because a number of species have been treated as a resource for a small percentage of the life of our planet does not make it so.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It is not the poor African who gets the money though. Of the 65,000 US per kilo you can apparently get for a Rhino Horn, the poor African who tracks them will get 100 US if he's lucky. And I can pretty much guarantee that the proceeds will NOT go on feeding his kids. The poachers are usually Asian and VERY wealthy as you can imagine, aided and abetted by rangers, hunters and game farm owners/managers.

One of the schemes being looked at to stop this is to inject poison into the horns of living Rhinos, without harming the Rhino but rendering the horns useless to humans. Good idea if they can make it work.

Having watched a very interesting doco not long back on taxidermy which delved into killing of African animals for their subjects it's actually the Governments who dish out licences to foreigners to shoot wild animals for large sums of money.

Actual poaching isn't undertaken by the foreigners in any sizable numbers at all as they can pay to do it legally.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
last time I needed to catch a rat I used a humane trap.

Always found that a nonsensical term to use when killing something. It's really just a term people use to make themselves feel bad about killing an animal in this case yes?

Crying inside is a little dramatic but i certainly wouldn't want to cause a rat any more suffering that is necessary (although to be fair my usual method of controlling mice and rats is not so thoughtful but then she is a cat).
[/quote]

Which does seem rather hypocritical that you're content to let your cat who doesn't need to kill to survive rip other living creatures apart for it's own pleasure.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Shark fin soup - Japs
Rhino horn - Japs

Right about China's weird remedies too, as well as using ivory.
None of it good.

We eat Shark out here all the time in the guise of Flake in fish and chip shops.

In fact shark is quite a common meat eaten in Australia.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I ate a whale steak last week. It was quite nice. I had exactly the same feelings about eating it that I have when I sit down to eat a regular steak.

It was quite expensive though and I think all in all yen for yen you get more value eating regular beef steak.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You can make that call in your world. You've not right to tell others however to make that call on their lands or waters.

We all live in the same world, What happens in it effects all of us.

I appreciate you disagree with this idea and that is, of course, up to you.

I am pleased to see so many on this thread that do care what happens to our world, it gives me faith that the human race can fix our **** ups as we become more enlightened.

Maybe I don't have the right to tell others how to live their lives but I do have the right to take some responsibility for the choices they are. There are surely reasons that africa is stuck in a cycle of poverty which means that the opportunities for people to make money are limited to practices that are having an adverse effect on our planet. I also believe that if we care enough and we are prepared to take responsibility for our choices and the way they effect the world, then we can make better choices and begin to make a difference.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We all live in the same world, What happens in it effects all of us.

You're going down the George Bush line of thought there. A belief that one has a right to interfere in other nations affairs because you don't agree with what's going on there.

I appreciate you disagree with this idea and that is, of course, up to you.

I am pleased to see so many on this thread that do care what happens to our world, it gives me faith that the human race can fix our **** ups as we become more enlightened.

There's no turning back for the human race now. Eventually it will end up as Aldous Huxley prophesised in A Brave New World.

Individuality will die and the world will get pleasure from state sanctioned drug induced states of mind all the while the population is reduced to a mindless drone mentality.

Maybe I don't have the right to tell others how to live their lives but I do have the right to take some responsibility for the choices they are. There are surely reasons that africa is stuck in a cycle of poverty which means that the opportunities for people to make money are limited to practices that are having an adverse effect on our planet. I also believe that if we care enough and we are prepared to take responsibility for our choices and the way they effect the world, then we can make better choices and begin to make a difference.

Corrupt Governments.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You're going down the George Bush line of thought there. A belief that one has a right to interfere in other nations affairs because you don't agree with what's going on there.
There's no turning back for the human race now. Eventually it will end up as Aldous Huxley prophesised in A Brave New World.

Individuality will die and the world will get pleasure from state sanctioned drug induced states of mind all the while the population is reduced to a mindless drone mentality.

Governments.

Happy to say I am a little more optimistic than your good self about the future. I will keep trying to make the world a better place and try to support others that do the same. I see more and more people trying to do the right thing and applaud them (even if I consider some to be misguided).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Happy to say I am a little more optimistic than your good self about the future. I will keep trying to make the world a better place and try to support others that do the same. I see more and more people trying to do the right thing and applaud them (even if I consider some to be misguided).

I'm a realist.

Western World insular views aren't reflective of what the wider worlds views are. Between China and India you've a rapidly growing 2 billion plus consumer juggernaut just to begin with.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm a realist.

Western World insular views aren't reflective of what the wider worlds views are. Between China and India you've a rapidly growing 2 billion plus consumer juggernaut just to begin with.

.......and if a decent percent of those consumers make decent consumer choices then we make make the changes necessary to make the world a better place and improve living standards for all it's inhabitants. If we can make significant improvements for the people of Africa, maybe they won't need to wipe out Rhinos in order to make ends meet. What do I need to do? Chuck a bit of money in a collection tin, sponsor a child, sing a petition,buy a zoo membership and some beads at the Werribee zoo and make careful choices about the products I buy. Its not really difficult is it?

Oh and try to avoid having my Western World insular views.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
We eat Shark out here all the time in the guise of Flake in fish and chip shops.

In fact shark is quite a common meat eaten in Australia.

Not sure what your point is, but I love a good shark steak with tabasco sauce.
Hoever the Japanese catch sharks of all ages JUST to cut the fin off and then let them die back in the sea.
Im told the soup is tasteless, not that it means much except to emphasise the stupid ignorance in their culture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here