Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rhinos in Mozambique now extinct

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A resource for what exactly? Please don't say some age old Chinese medicinal powder bullshit..

Food(cows, sheep, whales, crocodiles), Labour (horses, oxen, Llamas) Tourism (orangutans,pandas, koalas ), Products (fleeces, leather etc)

Plenty of uses for animals as a resource.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Food(cows, sheep, whales, crocodiles), Labour (horses, oxen, Llamas) Tourism (orangutans,pandas, koalas ), Products (fleeces, leather etc)

Plenty of uses for animals as a resource.

I was wondering what resource you specifically meant for Rhinos and how they had not been managed properly. How exactly would you suggest they could have been better managed?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I was wondering what resource you specifically meant for Rhinos and how they had not been managed properly. Could you have managed them better then?

Depends who is looking at the Rhino at the time.

You and I would see it as a money spinner for tourism. However we aren't poor Africans.

If I was a poor African I'd probably see it as a way to make some nice money. If that meant keeping ym kids fed i'd think "screw the rhino".

I'm not one of those who gets outraged at the poacher though because I don't know their situation.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why give a shit about the suffering of anyone, or anything, as long as you're OK eh?

Exactly, why?

What does your pontificating on this message board really do for Rhinos and Whales in the end? make you feel better about yourself? I think that's it.

Did all of your caring save these Rhinos? Doesn't look like it.

I would argue that causing the unnecessary suffering and death of any animal regardless of intelligence is immoral - but in particular the use of dolphins as food, which are clearly sentient & intelligent beings with high levels of emotional behaviour is particularly unethical - akin to murder of a human being.

It's immoral to you. Your morals however are not the be all and end all of morals.

which is how morality works is it not?

That said, all mammals can suffer - and none deserve to solely for the pleasure of human beings - with our intelligence comes this responsibility, unfortunately neglected by the selfish such as yourself.

Well at least i'm not a hypocrite. As without a doubt the biggest hypocrites are always those who try to tell others how to think and act.

Be they religious nutters or bleeding heart animal activists world wide.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not one of those who gets outraged at the poacher though because I don't know their situation.

Although I see the point you are making, it all seems a bit callous and fortunately there are people who care enough to try and stop it. It is undoubtably a fact of life in a third world country though.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Extinction is a massive problem, many many animals could go extinct in the next 50 years so that people can make a quick profit and we can have a booming economy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Depends who is looking at the Rhino at the time.

You and I would see it as a money spinner for tourism. However we aren't poor Africans.

If I was a poor African I'd probably see it as a way to make some nice money. If that meant keeping ym kids fed i'd think "screw the rhino".

It is not the poor African who gets the money though. Of the 65,000 US per kilo you can apparently get for a Rhino Horn, the poor African who tracks them will get 100 US if he's lucky. And I can pretty much guarantee that the proceeds will NOT go on feeding his kids. The poachers are usually Asian and VERY wealthy as you can imagine, aided and abetted by rangers, hunters and game farm owners/managers.

One of the schemes being looked at to stop this is to inject poison into the horns of living Rhinos, without harming the Rhino but rendering the horns useless to humans. Good idea if they can make it work.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Humanity " will destroy any living creature on this planet if there is something in it for them. Humanity will one day destroy itself and one day a more intelligent and malevolent race may take over. That day cannot come a day too soon for Planet Earth. The resource of the Rhino is not in what it offers in terms of goods but what it offers in terms of its beauty. That can be said of numerous other creatures trying and failing to live side by side with such a destructive force as Mankind.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I think you'll find it's China, not Japan that is far more into the weird medicinal compounds.

And killing whales is fine if you kill the right kind.

Shark fin soup - Japs
Rhino horn - Japs

Right about China's weird remedies too, as well as using ivory.
None of it good.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
" Humanity " will destroy any living creature on this planet if there is something in it for them. Humanity will one day destroy itself and one day a more intelligent and malevolent race may take over. That day cannot come a day too soon for Planet Earth. The resource of the Rhino is not in what it offers in terms of goods but what it offers in terms of its beauty. That can be said of numerous other creatures trying and failing to live side by side with such a destructive force as Mankind.

Great post

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I think you'll find it's China, not Japan that is far more into the weird medicinal compounds.

And killing whales is fine if you kill the right kind.

Shark fin soup - Japs
Rhino horn - Japs

Right about China's weird remedies too, as well as using ivory.
None of it good.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For me the beauty of Ivory is when it is living on an Elephant not when it is some ornament on a side table in a posh house.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have some faith in humanity.... Consider how far we have come in a short time, in just over a century, particularly in regards to human rights and animal conservation... Humanity's main problem has always been gaining too much power in a short time.

So far we have very much been a destructive species, but we are still young, it has always been through ignorance - and the species is very much still in its adolescence - but we are learning and history shows we are making remarkable steps in eradicating our destructive force, and improving as a species just as we always have done. Our planet just like every other planet is finite, but the human race and life on earth doesn't have to be :)

I wish I had your faith in humanity. I don't agree with Tyrone but he has stated his opinion and stood by it, so respect for that. The overall view of animals are here to serve us is all too prevelant in too many cultures and they have as much of a right to a life as we do imo. For me all creatures are wonderful. I am a softy and when I have a bath I make sure a woodlouse is out and free before I run the water. I let out moths and spiders to be free. I try not to kill anything as all life is worthwhile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here