Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rhian Brewster

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Looking at his goals from last year, he scored some crackers.

Get him in the van...eer...permanently if possible.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
For the Swans or Brighton?!
I think it will be us and I think we will get on loan.

But I think they are playing hardball and trying to flush out a bid. They need the money and they are seeing desperate teams throw silly money at unproven players.

Don't see this one concluding in the next week or two.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I certainly wouldn’t like the thought of Brewster hitting 15+ goals for us one season, only to be carted off back to Liverpool beyond our control!

Has this happened anywhere else before?

Yeah, this is what I would find disheartening about a buy back clause. Knowing if he does well, he technically becomes more and more a Liverpool player again. But at this stage, I suppose we have to take the best players we can rather than the best deals and with how the Prem has become so about just a handful of teams now, he'd probably get snapped up by one of those few teams if he did well for us anyway?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You have to wonder what the buyback clause will be if all this chat about a permanent move (with strings attached) is true (to any club).

With Ake (if I’m right), Chelsea inserted a buy-back clause into the deal he signed with Bournemouth. That clause stated that the Blues could re-sign him for double the figure - £40million - if they wanted him back.

So we sign Brewster for £20m, then Liverpool could potentially have him back for £40m until the clause expires if it was on the same terms as the Ake deal?

I certainly wouldn’t like the thought of Brewster hitting 15+ goals for us one season, only to be carted off back to Liverpool beyond our control!

Yes it's something Real Madrid have done a few times. Player has a really good season, they buy him back at under market rate and then either keep him as a fringe squad player or flog him for more money than they bought him back for.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Seems ok, doesn't he?!
Two years with us, double our money with a buy back then find the next Rhian Brewster.
This is how it's got to be until we're turning out our own talent regularly

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
You have to wonder what the buyback clause will be if all this chat about a permanent move (with strings attached) is true (to any club).

With Ake (if I’m right), Chelsea inserted a buy-back clause into the deal he signed with Bournemouth. That clause stated that the Blues could re-sign him for double the figure - £40million - if they wanted him back.

So we sign Brewster for £20m, then Liverpool could potentially have him back for £40m until the clause expires if it was on the same terms as the Ake deal?

i would have no problem in having him here for a couple of years, him scoring bucketloads and then us turning a £20+ million profit. much better than a loan. the higher the buyback clause the better the deal, ideally I'd want £50M, but it's up the to the club to negotiate it as high as they can. Even with talk of the buyback clause though, Liverpool fans still seem rather p****d off that they're potentially selling him

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

A striker scoring 15 goals for a season and £40 million to buy a replacement wouldn't be a disaster.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
That tweet makes it look like it'll be a loan deal or a transfer with a buy back clause which is basically another form of loan depending on his success with us.

it would be a loan in the same way that Leeds fans were saying that we should pay them for developing ben white, I guess. It means there's something in it for us in the long run, rather than just having him here for a season and then having him taken back for no profit. and let's be honest, if he's any good he'll be moving on pretty quickly, whether that's to liverpool or someone else

and a 'loan' with potentially a £20+M profit at the end and potentially a very good players sounds like a good deal to me.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC

I'm 50/50 on this.

If he is part of a team that finishes mid-table, and he scores 15+ goals, obviously you don't want to lose him...

But,"if" we are currently struggling to lure quality strikers to Brighton because we are seen as a small club / relegation fodder, then his contribution could put us in a much better position (this time next year) to attract quality strikers.

So if we lost him, at least he'd leave us in a more advantageous situation. Plus the $20m profit, etc.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I hope it wouldnt work quite as badly as that from Brightons perspective. No problem with the buy back clause, but for Liverpool to come along and take him as they please, whilst we stump up 20-25 big ones, is a bit of a stretch. If he flops or goes down hill, we've blown 25 million, if he succeeds they take him back for a tad more than we paid..... that is a glorified loan.

I would hope at the least that the buy back means that when or if our club decides to sell, then Liverpool have first refusal. So if he does OK and we dont want to sell next summer, we cant be forced to. i.e he's our player, but Liverpool have first dibs when/if we flog him.

Liverpool being able to come along and enforce a buy clause as and when they feel like it, wouldn't be great at all.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Liverpool being able to come along and enforce a buy clause as and when they feel like it, wouldn't be great at all.

Might be great for Rhian though.

Imagine his anger (and ours) when he hits 25+ Premier League goals for us but is still ignored by Southgate for an England pick! A return to Liverpool would surely guarantee him a place in Gareth’s squad?

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
How do you construct a buyback clause? First refusal at offer value over X? That’s what happened with Ake, isn’t it? That’s a bit basic.

If this is true, I wouldn’t be surprised if Brighton take this opportunity to develop more sophisticated contracts to make it worth both clubs’ time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It happens sometimes in other countries and is a fairly new concept in England, but its becoming more and more common. Some Chelsea ex-players have buy-back clauses, City got it with Douglas Luiz etc.

Its quite common in Spain and the fee is usually x2 or x3 of the original transfer. Sometimes there is a date stated when the buy-back clause expires, often halfway through the contract.

I dont really mind it. If the player is great and gets bought back, well - too bad but at least you made £20m and a player that obviously performed well for a year or two. Could be worse.

If he is ok, you get a decent player relatively cheaply and get to keep him and perhaps after the buy-back expires it could still turn into a nice £60m player or whatever.

If he flops.. too bad, but would have been lost money with or without the buyback.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It happens sometimes in other countries and is a fairly new concept in England, but its becoming more and more common. Some Chelsea ex-players have buy-back clauses, City got it with Douglas Luiz etc.

Its quite common in Spain and the fee is usually x2 or x3 of the original transfer. Sometimes there is a date stated when the buy-back clause expires, often halfway through the contract.

I dont really mind it. If the player is great and gets bought back, well - too bad but at least you made £20m and a player that obviously performed well for a year or two. Could be worse.

If he is ok, you get a decent player relatively cheaply and get to keep him and perhaps after the buy-back expires it could still turn into a nice £60m player or whatever.

If he flops.. too bad, but would have been lost money with or without the buyback.

Thanks for the info. As you say, not seen it in Britain many times before.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

Thing is, that for repeated business, you have to design a contract that makes money for both clubs. Otherwise one walks away.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Telegraph : “Brighton have a strong interest...£25m could lead to his departure”
Says he’s worried about game time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...uld-leave-liverpool-return-swansea-loan-next/

(Then suggests that a Swansea loan is in the picture)

Just cant see that happening. He already showed he is too good for the Championship and I think its unlikely he will go there to play for £10k a week again instead of - if possible - getting a £40k or so contract in the PL.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That tweet makes it look like it'll be a loan deal or a transfer with a buy back clause which is basically another form of loan depending on his success with us.
Mooy's buyback clause to Man City was never activated... So for him his transfer to Huddersfield was never a "loan".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here