[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I rarely contribute to this but after a really really bad meal at Zuma in Ibiza (primarily woeful service) they've given me a free meal at Zuma London tonight to the tune of £250. Probably because I'm regular of 15 years. But would always recommend this place for consistency and amazing fresh sushi. Massively popular with the Japanese which says a lot.
Generally I'm not convinced by this argument. I have been to plenty of places where this is not true; natives can have bad taste as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a medium rare burger, so yes.
When I did my BBQ course at Meat earlier in the year, the chef explained to us that medium rare burgers are illegal in the UK. When asked why, it's apparently because the meat is mixed up after being minced, so meat that started on the top or outside could end up in the middle of the burger and vice versa.

I was sorely tempted to ask 'what about steak tartare then?' but I though it best not to be kicked out / labelled as the annoying one after five minutes.

Whether this is strictly adhered to is another matter anyway. The last burger I had in a pub in the UK was medium rare. It may be that they just undercooked it but I didn't send it back. I prefer it and I'm still here to tell the tale!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Generally I'm not convinced by this argument. I have been to plenty of places where this is not true; natives can have bad taste as well.
Maybe , probably true for Germans and their peasant processed meat cuisine ;) but Japanese are the daddy's of food they are the arbiter elegantiarum of cuisine IMHO , from low end to the very highest.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Has anyone on here been to Palmito (and does your experience chime with GD)?

Excellent place go with a group so you can share all the options, very informal and friendly I would love to go again but needs forward planning as it always seems booked.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
When I did my BBQ course at Meat earlier in the year, the chef explained to us that medium rare burgers are illegal in the UK. When asked why, it's apparently because the meat is mixed up after being minced, so meat that started on the top or outside could end up in the middle of the burger and vice versa.

I was sorely tempted to ask 'what about steak tartare then?' but I though it best not to be kicked out / labelled as the annoying one after five minutes.

Whether this is strictly adhered to is another matter anyway. The last burger I had in a pub in the UK was medium rare. It may be that they just undercooked it but I didn't send it back. I prefer it and I'm still here to tell the tale!
Something like it you have steak it might have ecoli on the outside but cooking kills it - with mince the bacteria is mixed so ends up in the middle of the burger (meatball etc) and if raw then it isn’t destroyed.

I think the US standards are so awful (most eggs have salmonella in for example) that it is too risky.

There are many food “experts” who won’t eat romaine lettuce because the lettuce farms are downstream from the cow farms who piss and shit in the water that is then used to water the lettuce. The piss and shit contains all sorts of nasties that shouldn’t be anywhere near a salad.

But this is America, the EU and even here has much better standards so you don’t get lettuce watered with cow piss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The burger law is a bit odd and inconsistent within the UK i.e. why not an issue with steak tartare, and across countries as there is not an issue in say France or Germany.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The burger law is a bit odd and inconsistent within the UK i.e. why not an issue with steak tartare, and across countries as there is not an issue in say France or Germany.
It is, but my worry is that anyone correcting it would ban steak tartare, rather than apply some common sense to burgers.

But I do say that as a man of similar tastes to you. Raw fish, raw meat, offal, cheap cuts. It's all good. And I've not met a sashimi, oyster, tartare or ceviche that's finished me off yet! :moo:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If you ever find yourself in the Southwold/Woodbridge area of Suffolk then I can recommend the lodgings and restaurant at the Westleton Crown. A very servicable burger indeed, the wife said she'd not had a better 'restaurant burger' and I'm close to agreeing. The breakfast was good too, with continental and cooked options so you can full up for the day. Won't give a full review but if you are looking for a hotel option then it's worth considering at the price (130 quid B&B).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is, but my worry is that anyone correcting it would ban steak tartare, rather than apply some common sense to burgers.

But I do say that as a man of similar tastes to you. Raw fish, raw meat, offal, cheap cuts. It's all good. And I've not met a sashimi, oyster, tartare or ceviche that's finished me off yet! :moo:
I had a bad run of oysters in the 00s. 3 times in a row, in different countries as well i.e. no known link. I thought I'd developed an allergy. But after a year or so I tried again and have never looked back. This is all though. The oyster world tried, but failed!

All this talk is making me hungry......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I haven't read this as yet, but I've been meaning to post on BPK since we went a couple of months ago. It's really, really good. It opened soon after Kusaki and is in a fairly similar location and is doing a fairly similar thing to each other. Kusaki has been favourably reviewed on here, I think BPK is miles better. It just makes more sense, and things are executed better in my book. If this is the direction vegan/plant-based food is headed, then we're on to a good thing.
One thing worth highlighting: they're very busy at weekends (it was my partner's b'day on a Saturday, and I tried to book weeks in advance, and could only get a reserve booking -- which thankfully came in, but not until earlier that day). It's going to be busier still at weekends off the back of this. At the time, they indicated that it's relatively easy to get a table during the week.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I haven't read this as yet, but I've been meaning to post on BPK since we went a couple of months ago. It's really, really good. It opened soon after Kusaki and is in a fairly similar location and is doing a fairly similar thing to each other. Kusaki has been favourably reviewed on here, I think BPK is miles better. It just makes more sense, and things are executed better in my book. If this is the direction vegan/plant-based food is headed, then we're on to a good thing.
One thing worth highlighting: they're very busy at weekends (it was my partner's b'day on a Saturday, and I tried to book weeks in advance, and could only get a reserve booking -- which thankfully came in, but not until earlier that day). It's going to be busier still at weekends off the back of this. At the time, they indicated that it's relatively easy to get a table during the week.

Sounds good. Think I'll try and check it out when I'm back over Christmas.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just read that Russell Norman has died, 57 years old. Way too young. I am a fan of his Polpo restaurants and I also had a very enjoyable time in Venice following his guide to bacari bars.

RIP

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Something like it you have steak it might have ecoli on the outside but cooking kills it - with mince the bacteria is mixed so ends up in the middle of the burger (meatball etc) and if raw then it isn’t destroyed.

I think the US standards are so awful (most eggs have salmonella in for example) that it is too risky.

There are many food “experts” who won’t eat romaine lettuce because the lettuce farms are downstream from the cow farms who piss and shit in the water that is then used to water the lettuce. The piss and shit contains all sorts of nasties that shouldn’t be anywhere near a salad.

But this is America, the EU and even here has much better standards so you don’t get lettuce watered with cow piss.
I got cyclosporiasis from ‘dirty’ salad when on holiday (luckily only really kicked off just after I got home otherwise the plane journey would have been awkward). Pretty unpleasant - could barely leave the house for about 2 weeks, and had to bully the doc into giving me antibiotics, she wanted to let it clear up ‘naturally’.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I got cyclosporiasis from ‘dirty’ salad when on holiday (luckily only really kicked off just after I got home otherwise the plane journey would have been awkward). Pretty unpleasant - could barely leave the house for about 2 weeks, and had to bully the doc into giving me antibiotics, she wanted to let it clear up ‘naturally’.
Oof not nice

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I went to the Set at Cafe Rust last week - overall a fantastic experience, very small set up with 4 tables 8 places and 2 chefs serving a 14 course taster menu. Highlight for me was probably the simplest of the lot, butter bread cooked in beef fat with cheese. Cheese on toast taken to the ponsiest extreme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports