Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going there for my birthday this week (beautifully planned to be mid-week this year). I really like Kusaki, so if this is even better I'm on to a good thing.
After a nice night out I invited a girl back to my apartment. She said she was on her menstral cycle. I said no problem, I'll follow you on my Suzuki.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I’m going to the Goucho film club in Charlotte Street for a work Xmas lunch in December. I’m intrigued if anyone has been there. Do you sit in silence watching a film whilst dining or is it a sort of sing a long thing?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Went to fork in lewes last night and it was a good recommendation.

Food was very good, wine very nice. I had egg nog (egg nog martini) for the first time in my forty odd years in this earth.

The bad reviews on trip advisor basically can be summed up as “you get two hours and they tell you” (yep they mention it when you’ve sat down but it is small so I guess they don’t have spare tables if people take longer?) and “it has the atmosphere like a cafe” - I don’t think that’s fair, tables were close and it was wooden but my seat was comfortable and the tables were close but not so close you couldn’t stick to your own conversation.

I’d go back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This Worthing venture sounds interesting

“Who needs a professional dining room when you have your house? Aaron Dalton, who has cooked at Smoking Goat and Fera at Claridge’s, is running an occasional restaurant out of an extension to his semi-detached family home in Worthing, West Sussex. Entitled Four, it seats a maximum of 22 people, offers a £120 seven-course tasting menu and currently opens only a few days a month. ”

Edit: I have just read up on Aaron Dalton. Respect.

Edit 2: its BYO with no corkage as well. If I was in the U.K. I’d be all over this.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In today’s Observer Jay Rayner reports on a number of restaurants reverting from tasting menus to a la carte. Triple whammy of Brexit, post-COVID and cost-of-living plus changing tastes.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In today’s Observer Jay Rayner reports on a number of restaurants reverting from tasting menus to a la carte. Triple whammy of Brexit, post-COVID and cost-of-living plus changing tastes.
That’s where 64 degrees have gone back to and I’m glad they have.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My partner convinced me to go to 'The Breakfast Club' this morning. Absolutely rammed and extremely overpriced nonsense. Better off going to Market Diner.
I went to the one in Spitalfields a year and a bit ago. We were at a two day work conference and hungover from the night before. The breakfast was decent and got rid of the hangover, but I’m glad it was on expenses. If it was me on my own I’d never have gone in at those prices and I’m glad I wasn’t the one submitting the receipt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And then finishes off his column with news of somebody running an occasional seven-course tasting menu from his front room in Worthing :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And then finishes off his column with news of somebody running an occasional seven-course tasting menu from his front room in Worthing :facepalm:
The Guardia/Observer always provides balance.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This Worthing venture sounds interesting

“Who needs a professional dining room when you have your house? Aaron Dalton, who has cooked at Smoking Goat and Fera at Claridge’s, is running an occasional restaurant out of an extension to his semi-detached family home in Worthing, West Sussex. Entitled Four, it seats a maximum of 22 people, offers a £120 seven-course tasting menu and currently opens only a few days a month. ”

Edit: I have just read up on Aaron Dalton. Respect.

Edit 2: its BYO with no corkage as well. If I was in the U.K. I’d be all over this.
I might get all over this, and thanking you for opening up a bit of balance to this thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is the third Berlin Michelin star restaurant which has announced it will close at the end of this year. Cordo and Ernst being the others. It’s tough out there.

“Sadly, another Michelin-starred restaurant bites the dust. Kinky fine dining venue theNOname started with the vision of 'no limits, no boundaries' by founders Janina and Joachim. Unfortunately, due to the increasingly impossible circumstances for those in the hospitality industry, the Mitte-based restaurant closes its doors for good on December 31st, 2023.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Visit for lunch at The Pig today in the South Downs near Arundel.

Been on our radar for a while - great food ethos of local food. All suppliers are listed and generally food sourced within 25 miles.

Nibbles of house cured pork and home made pickled veg to start, as well as freshly baked cornbread.

Shared a ‘Brighton Curried Fishcake’ - perfect mix of potato and fish. Mains was a Sea Bream and Crab tagliatelle and a overnight roasted Pork collar with roasties, yorkshires and veg from the garden.

Both cooked incredibly well, the cider/whole grain mustard sauce was a tad salty with the pork.

Incredible wine list - plenty of sparkling wine producers I’d never heard of in West Sussex. The Digby Brut from Arundel was nice. Must have been 40 wines all within the county ?

Bit pricey - and hotel is pretty keenly priced but it seems to be working for them. Will pop back for a Sunday roast at some point based on today.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oh also tried Permit Rooms in Brighton last week (same group as Dishoom)

I’ll add we had a ratty 10 month old with us who wouldn’t sleep or settle, and despite it being 4pm in the afternoon was rowdy with Christmas parties.

Food was good, everything is pretty well spiced which can be tricky for those that don’t like much heat. Menu felt a bit limited in terms of options - might worth better with a bigger group. But was enjoyable.

Great canned craft beer selection - but very expensive. £7 for a 330ml alcohol free beer - 4-5% pale ales about £8-£10 a can. I get they need to mark it up and beer prices have increased recently but hurt a bit knowing I could buy the same beers for £5 or there abouts.

Personally felt Mowgli edges it slightly

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Finally Gordon Ramseys Lucky Cat restaurant in the Dorchester London. Wasn’t really through choice but had a £100 Amex dining credit to spend and this was one of the only ones with availability that worked and in a handy location.

Food was good - but very pricey (£20 for a big bowl of egg fried rice !). Would definitely work better in a big group sharing rather than the 2 of us. Got served a room temperature beer - and service wasn’t great.

Wouldn’t rush back

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Core by Clare Smyth a week ago. Best restaurant in London for me and I go at least once a year. 8 courses for £235 ,,,, a celebration of English ingredients. The venison with whiskey out of this world.

Few days ago ..Just down the road is ledbury which is a bit more reasonable at £165 for a 6 course lunch. The main Aussie chef is a nice guy but seems a bit bitter about Clare Smyth having 3 stars (and them not).

My other 2 faves Zuma booked for boxing day and Scott's (the original) booked for new year's Day.

Honourable mention to brasserie zedel in Piccadilly where I had lunch yesterday. Leek soup/steak hache/creme brulee for £19.95 has to be the best value set menu in London. Amazing art deco interior as well and owned by the wolseley so you know it's pure class.

Jul 7, 2003
Honourable mention to brasserie zedel in Piccadilly where I had lunch yesterday. Leek soup/steak hache/creme brulee for £19.95 has to be the best value set menu in London. Amazing art deco interior as well and owned by the wolseley so you know it's pure class.
Zedel is somewhere I always recommend to people looking for a great value place to eat in London. As you say, the interior is stunning but also the quality of the food is great. For somewhere right in the heart of the West End, it makes such a change from the usual overpriced tourist traps.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Going to the hottest restaurant in Newcastle this afternoon (seriously, it's been really hard to get reservations) - an exclusive bistro in the Fenwick department store, which has been open since 1st December and closes on New Year's Eve.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another variation of surf and turf for you, sweetbreads and prawn. Also had deboned-oxtail and mash and blood sausage and peas. Very nice.

It’s almost the end of 2023 so I will take this opportunity to wish everyone all the best for 2024 and all the gastronomical treats which come with it

AEE2639D-EB3E-42B5-82D5-43FB1A5820CA.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here