Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I had a bad run of oysters in the 00s. 3 times in a row, in different countries as well i.e. no known link. I thought I'd developed an allergy. But after a year or so I tried again and have never looked back. This is all though. The oyster world tried, but failed!

All this talk is making me hungry......
I had Oysters in a well known restaurant in Charlotte Street around 2000. Donald Sutherland was on the table next to us. I hope he didn’t eat the Oysters as two days later both my ends exploded. My two dining companions had the same experience. Would have sued if it wasn’t a free business lunch but it has unfortunately put me off Oysters for life.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Been in Barcelona a bit for work recently.

Stand out meal was at Darvaza

The bread with smoked butter, salt and pepper was unreal. Iberian Acorn ham was like nothing I’ve ever had.

Steak tartare was amazing and shared a couple of bone in ribeye - the most incredible fat.

Been thinking about it a lot

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I went to the Set at Cafe Rust last week - overall a fantastic experience, very small set up with 4 tables 8 places and 2 chefs serving a 14 course taster menu. Highlight for me was probably the simplest of the lot, butter bread cooked in beef fat with cheese. Cheese on toast taken to the ponsiest extreme.
Excellent. Although us ponces insist on having our names spelled correctly.
Am keen to go to Set, especially because it's just the other side of PP. Have been to its Regency incarnation twice. The first time was excellent (despite being outnumbered by coke-heads on a Friday night), the second, less so. But the first left a few experiences that lingered.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I had Oysters in a well known restaurant in Charlotte Street around 2000. Donald Sutherland was on the table next to us. I hope he didn’t eat the Oysters as two days later both my ends exploded. My two dining companions had the same experience. Would have sued if it wasn’t a free business lunch but it has unfortunately put me off Oysters for life.
I feel for you, because oysters are one of the great pleasures. That said, you've met* the Don, and I haven't.

* or, been in the company of

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Am keen to go to Set, especially because it's just the other side of PP. Have been to its Regency incarnation twice. The first time was excellent (despite being outnumbered by coke-heads on a Friday night), the second, less so. But the first left a few experiences that lingered.

Apparently the chefs are starting a new concept at Cafe Rust early next year, not sure whether that will be taster menu or something completely different.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We also went to Regency Square twice. The first time was with a group of friends and was fine to pretty decent.

The second time was just as a couple. They spent so long finding and describing the wine flight that every course was cold by the time we tucked in.

Never went back.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We also went to Regency Square twice. The first time was with a group of friends and was fine to pretty decent.

The second time was just as a couple. They spent so long finding and describing the wine flight that every course was cold by the time we tucked in.

Never went back.
I'd say the first time (despite the coke-heads), they wowed us with a fair few dishes, the second time, it was all a bit ordinary (which is the last thing they would want)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Any recommendations for a meal out with the lady wife in lewes?
Fork (I gather)
This, or Dill.

I've not had a chance to go to either (a 2 yr old and a 4 month old get in the way), but both have been highly recommended to me by people whose opinion on food I trust implicitly.

Edit: or Squisito. Italian place in the Old Needlemakers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My oyster incident in Dublin was the worst. I was vomiting so violently I burst blood vessels around my eyes and ended up with two shiners.

I do like them though, so I’m glad my weird period wasn’t permanent.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
This, or Dill.

I've not had a chance to go to either (a 2 yr old and a 4 month old get in the way), but both have been highly recommended to me by people whose opinion on food I trust implicitly.

Edit: or Squisito. Italian place in the Old Needlemakers.
Oooh thanks! Will go to one and report back (might not be until the new year)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Got to stick my hand up for Wabi Sabi, new Japanese place on Church Rd, Hove on (I think) the site of the old Hins.

A friend had recommended Issa Sushi on the other side of the road but as we arrived it was obviously shut down. Both Mrs GB and me were still in the mood for Japanese and noticed this place almost opposite.

I'm always wary of recommending Japanese on here given the rather precise requirements of one of my fellow contributors but I have to say the lunch we had was amazing and took us straight back to our days living in Tokyo.

We got a range of dishes and shared them. Gyoza - an entry level test these days - passed with flying colours. Thin casing, delicious filling, piping hot and clearly freshly made. Tempura prawns were as good as that can get, served in a basket with paper to catch any excess oil. A rainbow sushi plate of rolls topped with bass, tuna or salmon was perfectly made, beautifully presented and just the right thing for lunch. Best of all (for me) they have soft shell crab. The Spider Temaki made with that, rice and julienned veg was my favourite dish of the lot.

£50 for two greedy people for lunch but you could easily do it cheaper, we over ordered by adding additional garlic rice that was unnecessary.

And, since I mentioned my fellow mod @Goldstone1976 in passing, I shall now come to the bit where I say we can't wait to go back in the evening and have a go at the sake menu. It seemed hugely comprehensive with ginjo, daiginjo and sparkling sake all on the list.

All in all it's a little more refined than Bincho and just as good. A solid 9/10.
Went back for a birthday meal in the evening. The food was, if anything, even better than before, particularly the tuna tartare. So nicely presented I took PICTURES and I never photograph my food.

Great sake too. A Dassai 45 junmai daiginjo* at £20 for a half bottle was excellent. We had two, just as well as the full bottle is £40 😀.

But two words of warning. Firstly the cooking and service is so efficient that it’s pretty hard to linger if you want a long night. We were in and out in 80 minutes. Secondly they do takeaway, so a bloke in a helmet with an Uber Eats bag will be walking past your table every five minutes.

*so far this weekend I’ve had premium sake, Laphroaig, cider from a bag, strawberry weissbier, warm Peroni and stout and the Sunday game hasn’t even started yet.

IMG_1838.jpeg
IMG_1840.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I haven't read this as yet, but I've been meaning to post on BPK since we went a couple of months ago. It's really, really good. It opened soon after Kusaki and is in a fairly similar location and is doing a fairly similar thing to each other. Kusaki has been favourably reviewed on here, I think BPK is miles better. It just makes more sense, and things are executed better in my book. If this is the direction vegan/plant-based food is headed, then we're on to a good thing.
One thing worth highlighting: they're very busy at weekends (it was my partner's b'day on a Saturday, and I tried to book weeks in advance, and could only get a reserve booking -- which thankfully came in, but not until earlier that day). It's going to be busier still at weekends off the back of this. At the time, they indicated that it's relatively easy to get a table during the week.
I'm going there for my birthday this week (beautifully planned to be mid-week this year). I really like Kusaki, so if this is even better I'm on to a good thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went back for a birthday meal in the evening. The food was, if anything, even better than before, particularly the tuna tartare. So nicely presented I took PICTURES and I never photograph my food.

Great sake too. A Dassai 45 junmai daiginjo* at £20 for a half bottle was excellent. We had two, just as well as the full bottle is £40 😀.

But two words of warning. Firstly the cooking and service is so efficient that it’s pretty hard to linger if you want a long night. We were in and out in 80 minutes. Secondly they do takeaway, so a bloke in a helmet with an Uber Eats bag will be walking past your table every five minutes.

*so far this weekend I’ve had premium sake, Laphroaig, cider from a bag, strawberry weissbier, warm Peroni and stout and the Sunday game hasn’t even started yet.

View attachment 170283View attachment 170284
That’s stunning

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

View attachment 170283View attachment 170284

Went there for the owner's daughter's 3rd Birthday party a few months ago as she goes to nursery with my oldest son. They had laid on a spread much like what you posted here, the most absolutely incredible birthday snacks laid on for a toddlers bash I ever did see, needless to say it did end in carnage, but the parents tried to scoop up whatever we could before it was hurled up the walls by the youngsters. Lovely family, they have a place up by the 7 Dials too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oysters I’ve been ok with but mussels ?
It takes barely 30 mins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here