Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2011

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Anyone else tried the Sahara, Western Road, near Norfolk Square? Really excellent Middle Eastern dishes, wonderful lamb tagine etc. And it's BYO, so pretty reasonable for a memorable meal. Highly recommended.

As is the Giggling Squid in Church Road - as others have said, an excellent Thai. And packed out at weekends, so must book - which with two floors must mean something.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Moonstone in Church Road, Sri Lankan, fish curry, bloody lovely

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
bit out of brighton, but Lathams Brasseire in Hastings is very good.
sunday lunch is great (rib of beef with the biggest yorkshire ever) and prices very cheap for the quality of food. try it and see.................

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pompoko is a favourite with me and my friends :thumbsup:

Thank you. Bit put off by not being able to make a reservation, but will seek it out sometime in the future.

Anyone else tried the Sahara, Western Road, near Norfolk Square? Really excellent Middle Eastern dishes, wonderful lamb tagine etc. And it's BYO, so pretty reasonable for a memorable meal. Highly recommended.

As is the Giggling Squid in Church Road - as others have said, an excellent Thai. And packed out at weekends, so must book - which with two floors must mean something.

I went on a work doo to Sahara, and they had belly dancers come out between each course, tasty food as well.

Sold! Thank you. Lived just round the corner of it for a year, but never tried it and didn't realise it was a BYO.

Massive thanks :bowdown:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Due South – normally excellent but was bit ropey when I went last week on this deal. 6.0

Cracking pork starter, but my main of seaweed wrapped dab was slimy and tasteless, and the cheesecake was just ok. And I don’t like eating off SLATES. And if you can’t do brilliant petits fours then don’t bother, frankly. Have to say though, every other time I’ve been (and paid full whack) has been pretty splendiferous.

Due South at the top end of price by Brighton standards, but good food. BUT

massive waits and gaps between courses when busy, dragging out a 3 course meal over many many hours.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Due South - What a disappointment.

Having heard so much about this place I was excited at the prospect of going there last night. 9pm booking, so a relaxed second sitting was hoped for. Skipped lovely sounding starters because we'd had a small snack before we went out, so straight to main course. Two fish of the day (sole) we're just under cooked, so sticking to the bones, and head was still translucent, so inedible. Lamb dish (fillet and a sort of lamb mince) was over doneand swimming in a thin gravy. Bream on risotto apparently very good. And resented paying £4 on top for vegetables. When you're paying £18 for a grilled fish, you expect the veggies to be thrown in. Two deserts shared. Overly sweet and dry bread & butter pudding with marmalade, rubarb panna cottae pretty good by all accounts. Decent bottle of Gavi di Gavi but at the top end of where it should have been priced. Atmoshphere? Sat in the arched window at the front - lovely view. But presence of a hen party and a 30th birthday filling the rest of the place meant the atmosphere was pretty rowdy. No issue with that, but hen parties in top end restaurants on Saturday nights? It's always going to affect the other diners.

Overall impression? Priced where you would expect for a leading restaurant in the City, but under delivered on quality and service. Won't rush back - won't recommend it.

Spot on review. The bottom line bill after extras gives a central London bill, when not up to that standard and they don't have Mayfair overheads. Service slow. The owners must have made themselves rich on reputation and marketing.

All the Gingers (Man, Fox and Pig) deliver beautiful food and I found great service, at Due South or lower pricing.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
As I was referred to this earlier in the week in order to choose somewhere to dine out I thought I should add my thoughts. Two meals to report on:

Plateau
New place opposite the town hall. Beautiful decor, great service. It seems to be a modern french/spanish fusion. You can chose tapas or main courses. We chose tapas and this was our downfall I think. Nothing was particularly tasty or exciting. Everything was okay (except the calamari with lime and mint which just didn't work). However, the wine, cheese, coffee, dessert and service were all excellent. I'd recommend it as long as you went for a main (the rib eye sound lush!)
7/10

Marrocco's Seafood Restaurant - Hove
I always knew this as the ice cream place near King Alfred but a colleague went there for dinner recently and raved about it so we gave it a go. The decor is shit and the service wasn't top drawer but everything else rocks! I had the languostine linguine, eleven quid for the best bowl of pasta I have had in ages. Master Saville had the kids pizza which was amazingly tasty for a margarita and Mrs Saville had the seafood Fittura Mista which was terrific value for a tenner. She loved it. The ice cream is just divine. A big thumbs up for the blueberry and chocolate chip (different flavours not together!). They even have Peroni on tap for under four pound a pint. Unpretentious, resonably priced, great food.
9/10

Marrocco's is great, but went to Plateau and it was terrible! Really expensive for not very much at all, very posy and very London. I also noted it had a brilliant review in Latest Magazine. I posted a comment disagreeing and it was removed! An insider job methinks. Avoid...

BHAMAN

Dec 25, 2010
Shoreham
Had a whopping great plate of Bangers & Mash over the weekend at Harry's in Hove. Their pies looked particularly fantastic too.

I've been eating there on and off for years and always love the food.

If you're looking for good value, good quality English fare then I don’t think you can do much better in Brighton & Hove, IMO

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Harry's big up their liver and bacon. I showed a 12yr old how to make said dish and subsequently they could do it better than Harry's served up last time I went there for their 'signature dish'..

That said,most of the times I've been there it been better than a lot of places - which is frankly depressing

e.g. Real Eating Company in Hove served a split Hollondaise with their eggs B last time I went and would not accept that it wasn't up to scratch

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went for lunch at the Sportsman in Amberley. This one is tucked up the back of the village well away from the railway station.

If the weather isn't that good then the best views are from the conservatory. Food is excellent, pricey by pub standards but plentiful and top quality. A good choice of beers including two from Langhams that were new on me. To round it all off the views are absolutely stunning.:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone been to Fishy fishy recently? Have always wanted to go, but never ended up going there? Just for a Saturday/Sunday lunch, rather than anything too special? Menu looks great.

Also, off to Pollen Street Social in London next week, Jason Athertons new place, reviews look good though portion sizes are bit of a worry, will let you know how we get on

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Anyone been to Fishy fishy recently? Have always wanted to go, but never ended up going there? Just for a Saturday/Sunday lunch, rather than anything too special? Menu looks great.

Menu promised much but wasn't blown away by the cooking. So-so fish restaurant, but I only went there once so may have been a weak night.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone been to Fishy fishy recently?

Yep went a few weeks ago. Mackerel pate was bigged up on the menu, but was no better than average. My turbot in mussel sauce was pretty much bang on, though we all felt that everything might have been just a couple of quid per dish too expensive. The thousands of pictures of Dermot O’Leary plastered everywhere put me off my strokes a bit as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is Oriental Village in Portslade still decent ? Not been for 12months+ and fancy going there again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a whopping great plate of Bangers & Mash over the weekend at Harry's in Hove. Their pies looked particularly fantastic too.

I've been eating there on and off for years and always love the food.

If you're looking for good value, good quality English fare then I don’t think you can do much better in Brighton & Hove, IMO

Harry's is a brilliant place. The Pile Up is a regular Sunday treat for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been banging on about The Chimney House a few times on this thread. I went a couple of weeks back, midweek, and whilst the quality of the food was still high, I did find the menu was not as exciting as previous visits.....in fact the menu was tending towards bland.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Had a nice meal up at the chimney house, which I think used to be the Marquess of Exeter many moons ago. Had the squid starter which was bang on, Main course was Pan seared grey Mullet served with minestrone and samphire, it was all really nice and the buttered samphire livened up a rather dull minestrone. Dessert was Lemon Posset which was slightly too sickly for me.
8/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here