Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relegation battle starts now.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
problem is gus is playing a style of football that suits decent players. I have no problem with his style, they just aint good enought to play it. Its like asking abunch of morons to do the times crossword!!

Right, so to get a positive result with said morons you get them to do colouring in or dot to dot. You don't just go 'well, its the crossword or nothing'. If Poyet and the staff thought these players weren't up to it then SURELY they wouldn't be insisting on them sticking with it?!

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
I understand some people's frustration but its a topsy turvy league. Apart from Southampton no other team is consistent so far.
We ARE currently on relegation form but this can change and suddenly we right back up there.
Had we had started on this current form and won our last 6 then we would be saying how good we are. I still believe on our long term plan and not expecting overnight success.

We are the most consistent in the league!! At losing!!

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Brighton will never be in a relegation battle, I don't understand the point of this topic, so you guys are going through a bad patch, you have one of the best teams in this league. Every team goes through bad times it was never going to be as easy as some of you thought, the Championship is a hard league, a very hard league. Just look at the fact you made yourselves equals to us(Leeds) when you played us, and we were 7th last season and were sitting in the top 6 most of last season too, which proves you're not going down.

31 games left to go, a possible 93 points up for grabs.

Also nothing at all in this league.

It takes an opposition fan to put things into perspective in amongst all you hand wringing nancys. We'll be fine. So what we're going through a tough period and let's not forget we have hardly had a settled team for ages because of all the injuries to important players
The players will come back injury, Gus will further strengthen in Jan and we'll finish top half come may.
Sorted

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Sunday is a massive game now, we need 3 points.

Gus has his principles but to say he will replace players who make mistakes is naive, this group of players playing this level of football using the tactics we do will make mistakes. This attitude will only de motivate. how may times can you drop players or play them in a different position?

The fact is they are not Barca and it's not fair to ask these guys to play the same way against competetive championship sides.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
I don't buy any of this we've had injuries, the players that have been injured are ones that have been rarely involved in our earlier good run of form, We are no way near as good as many of us believed

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
To date I have been very laid back about the dip in form. I've taken the view that Gus is a class act and knows what he is doing and that we have a squad good enough to at least find safety in mid-table. Add the sheer pleasure at being in The Amex and I have been content to sit back and enjoy the ride.

However...

Tonight is probably the first night that I am starting to feel genuine concern. The form is poor but the sudden goal drought is even more worrying. I don't have any palpable sense of a Plan B. I'm sure the team can turn this around but the Championship honeymoon period is over. It isn't enough to simply enjoy our elevated status. We now need to start playing for it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The aim this season should always have been just to get to 50 points, however, as soon as possible, and take it from there. If it's April, so be it. More experienced Championship teams know this, because they know how tough it is. We had a load of people mouthing off about the play-offs in the summer, and it got worse after a good start.

People saw our summer recruitment as making us challengers, but in reality it was probably the minimum to compete in a much stronger league, and half of them keep getting injured. Several other squads were much stronger even before they added to them.

I subscribe to the theory that in a tight league it's not a disaster if results start going against you. What you need is performances, because then points will eventually come. What worries me is the number of poor displays, and the lack of clear chances created.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The league table has precise symmetry now. It's not a relegation battle, just a bad run of form. Every team will have one this season (including Southampton). Get a grip.

I do think that Sunday's match against Barnsley is critical now. Just hope that Snoopy (Craig Davies) doesn't come back to haunt us. Just think back to how bad things were then - at the foot of League One when Barn door Davies couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Appreciate how far the club has come in such a short space of time.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Gus has a lot to think about:

- too predictable
- no plan b
- lightweight
- lacking confidence
- injuries
- no clear idea on our best eleven
- lack of shape/formation that works

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
4 points out of a possible 27 is shocking. League 1 players being found out now and it will have to stop soon or we`ll be at the bottom in no time.

Did we trouble their keeper ?

started 6th August in fairness. But yes, we're going through a rough patch one might say. Still, plenty of time to get things right.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Gus has a lot to think about:

- too predictable
- no plan b
- lightweight
- lacking confidence
- injuries
- no clear idea on our best eleven
- lack of shape/formation that works

Hard to disagree with any of those.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Right, so to get a positive result with said morons you get them to do colouring in or dot to dot. You don't just go 'well, its the crossword or nothing'. If Poyet and the staff thought these players weren't up to it then SURELY they wouldn't be insisting on them sticking with it?!

Im guessing your response means that you would have a plan B or C to fall back on once its so blatantly obvious that the majority of these squad players are simply not good enough to play a quick passsing game. I personally believe that we will come good soon but only when we have a fully fit squad to pick from. Unfortunately for us its our best players who are unfit to play thats costing us. These are the only ones who can get us playing and get results, without them were very very lost!!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I might be in the minority here but i'm not in the slightest bit worried about our current form. We, like many other modest mid table teams will go through winless runs, sit bottom of the form league and then go on a winning streak and surprise a few people, add to that the modest periods and there's your mid table finish. Our problem has been our fantastic start to the season which raised expectations, had we started the season nine games without a win then suddenly pulled of 16 points out of 18 we'd be creaming our pants.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I might be in the minority here but i'm not in the slightest bit worried about our current form. We, like many other modest mid table teams will go through winless runs, sit bottom of the form league and then go on a winning streak and surprise a few people, add to that the modest periods and there's your mid table finish. Our problem has been our fantastic start to the season which raised expectations, had we started the season nine games without a win then suddenly pulled of 16 points out of 18 we'd be creaming our pants.

Agreed. We're not going to win the league - that much is clear. But it's pretty unlikely we'll go down either as we have some quality players and an excellent manager. So what's the big deal. Instead of people behaving like massive drama queens with every win or defeat and either declaring us the world's best/worst team, why not just accept that we're aiming for mid-table consolidation this season and enjoy the ride?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here