Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ref’s performance today

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The Villa fans were getting upset with him. Then again, I guess that's top six bias :lolol:
At Leicester away I remember the entire stadium home and away singing in unison "you don't know what you're doing" at the ref, an occasional whole stadium "you're not fit to referee", and him getting a hard time constantly from both sets of fans for a good hour. To come back from that must take the most incredible resilience and mental strength, or the most incredible confidence / arrogance. I don't know how they do it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Coote is a poor ref promoted above his station to fill the gap of a few retiring old heads.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
To be fair to the ref, Villa are an incredibly hard team to ref.

They are always looking for a sly advantage out of every challenge and situation.

They are easily the worst in the Premier League. This game meant so much for them they brought the whole playbook out.
This. His performance was appalling, but both teams made it as hard for him as they possibly could.

Villa are absolutely the worst in the league at this, cynical in the extreme. They simultaneously give themselves an unfair advantage whilst putting pressure on the ref to punish the opposition. Then when they’ve got what they want, they time waste shamelessly.

Honorable mentions to Newcastle and Spurs too.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This. His performance was appalling, but both teams made it as hard for him as they possibly could.

Villa are absolutely the worst in the league at this, cynical in the extreme. They simultaneously give themselves an unfair advantage whilst putting pressure on the ref to punish the opposition. Then when they’ve got what they want, they time waste shamelessly.

Honorable mentions to Newcastle and Spurs too.
We are also guilty but to a lesser extent although I think we stay down too long after a tackle (Ali Mac and Moises yday for example) hoping to gain a free kick rather than just disrupting the play. It back fired yday for Villa’s 2nd goal. Mitoma does it too.

Villa must’ve committed 20 fouls either side of the half way line just the break up play, taking it in turns to avoid cards.

Seems we need to find a way to overcome teams that are in our face from the off. Forest, Newcastle, Everton and Villa have gone for the throat from the off, scored quickly and put the game to bed before we have composed ourselves. Admitted fielding weakened sides hasn’t help us.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
No problem with the ref today. We actually got the better of the decisions.

But we lost. So here comes the referee thread... :)

Problem for the ref was the nature of the game. Very tense, lots of poor challenges, I'd say more by Albion. Lots of 50/50s

I'll put my blue and white specs on and try to join the thread in the proper way. Now, where did I put them. Here they are..

Ref was shit.
I thought he was very poor, but for both sides...just not very good at refereeing regardless of result!

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
I’d like to see refs clamp down on the ten yard from a free kick stuff…numerous times Villa players stood one yard away …..I’d add its a ‘habit’ that Enciso has started…its not good for football imo
Agree with this. The ten yard rule seems to be completely ignored these days, especially by referees. Another rule thart seems to have gone is penalising goalkeepers for stepping outside the penalty area whilst carrying the ball in their hands. That is deliberate handball, a free kick and should be a yellow card. Willa's Martinez is probably the worst offender - does it, and gets away with it, almost every time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No problem with the ref today. We actually got the better of the decisions.

But we lost. So here comes the referee thread... :)

Problem for the ref was the nature of the game. Very tense, lots of poor challenges, I'd say more by Albion. Lots of 50/50s

I'll put my blue and white specs on and try to join the thread in the proper way. Now, where did I put them. Here they are..

Ref was shit.
Are you as forgiving of shit umpires in your favourite sport? :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are you as forgiving of shit umpires in your favourite sport? :wink:
Cricket is a bit more exacting, and umpires are supposed to be cautious.

I'm very forgiving, unless it's a Sussex player being given out, of course.

I'm not helping myself there, am I ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cricket is a bit more exacting, and umpires are supposed to be cautious.

I'm very forgiving, unless it's a Sussex player being given out, of course.

I'm not helping myself there, am I ?
I misread that as more exciting on first read and choked on my coffee :lolol:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
40 odd years of watching Brighton. Worse ref I have ever seen completely out of his depth . Says something when both sets of fans sing “you’re not fit to referee, or you do t know what you’re doing “ but it’s only Brighton so nothing g more will be said

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here