[Albion] Referee Sunny Sukhvir Gill (v Sheffield United)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The penalty awarding law as it stands is a complete arse and only provides divers with the opportunity to con the ref so every single player will be drilled by their coaches in the art of falling over in the penalty area if there's a chance of getting a penalty,the rule has basically penalised honest players who try to stand up after a foul because unless it's a obvious pull back no penalty will be given as you basically have to throw yourself to the floor to actually get VAR involved, bloody ridiculous.
I don't disagree.
Equally many of the existing laws of the game need to be reviewed in light of VAR technology.

Handball has become farcical, both in giving penalties and chalking off goals.

Offside no longer provides a fair balance between attack and defence, but provides the defence an opportunity to chalk off a goal which would have been given for the last 100 years.

None of this is the referee's fault however.

Reactions: SAC

el punal

I’m fairly sure there’s an equally shitty opinion of him on the Sheffield forum
There is/was indeed. Wilder actually intimated he would like Sunny Gill to ref another Sheffield Utd game just to make sure that Gill is competent. All a bit rich after what happened when they played West Ham. Personally I thought Gill was very good. The difference between the two teams on Saturday was like chalk and cheese. We outplayed United with composed one touch football that was precise and productive. United looked like a poor Championship side relying on brawn and the long, up and at ’em ball. Agricultural, I suppose. So blaming the ref for your ineptitude really does smack of sour grapes.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I tend to agree with you , but we can’t have players going down at the first feel of contact. There has to be an effort to stay on your feet and keep playing . But I agree players now coached to dive - case in point on Saturday, and every other Saturday .
Or even when there hasn't actually been any contact, like George Baldock's disgraceful cheating to win a penalty and steal the points against Wolves,

I'm sure we can both agree that was despicable gamesmanship.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought Taylor did ok when we played at Forest- probably PL best ref , I know that’s not saying much at the moment
Literally had both sets of fans singing 'Anthony Taylor, you're shit every week'. Never seen someone scurry off down the tunnel so quickly.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Only Lewis knows what he said to Taylor, but when he’s shown a yellow for dissent and then carries on - is that Taylor being petulant or Dunk being stupid? Maybe I’m too impartial
Glad you have decided to come clean.

Yes as an impartial observer of that event, i think that's fair.
As a Brighton fan, it's difficult to take, when you watch Taylor consistently failing to book Big 6 players telling him to f*** off.

Now take a look at the penalties on youtube, and tell me why you think Taylor demonstrates he's up to the job and Gill doesn't?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wasn't at the game but watching Soccer Saturday where Clinton Morrison (Palace) was watching our game. He said Pedro's leg was kicked which then kicked his other leg, for the first penalty. It was definitely hand ball for the second, and finally Chris Wilder said he had no problems with either penalty decision. Both decisions were checked by VAR, so how anyone can still argue the penalty decisions were wrong is beyond me.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I now think Pete Skinner may be a second account set up for trolling purposes, or a Palace fan's account set up for the same reason. Less likely to be a bitter SU fan as he's now moved on to Anthony Taylor's performance in a previous match.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
I now think Pete Skinner may be a second account set up for trolling purposes, or a Palace fan's account set up for the same reason. Less likely to be a bitter SU fan as he's now moved on to Anthony Taylor's performance in a previous match.
Wow- such animosity.
I thought Gill was poor - and so did Wilder
I thought the penalties were soft - but can understand why they were given as it’s very subjective
And I think Taylor is a decent referee - and this will probably be backed up with who we send to the Euros as our representative.
Don’t think it’s bitter or trolling .
I thought we were a bit more open minded down here - maybe not

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Wow- such animosity.
I thought the penalties were soft - but can understand why they were given as it’s very subjective
And I think Taylor is a decent referee - and this will probably be backed up with who we send to the Euros as our representative.
We :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wow- such animosity.
How can a hand in front of the forwards's head as he is about to head the ball goalwards and the ball hitting said hand, be anything but a penalty. Soft as granite.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Wow- such animosity.
How is slam dunking the ball in the box 'subjective'?

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
How is slam dunking the ball in the box 'subjective'

How is slam dunking the ball in the box 'subjective'?
It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised.. I’m happy that we got the penalty - all I’m saying is read the above, their defender obviously wasn’t going to intentionally handle the ball. And he’s jumping like any defender should to compete with our player. So not unnatural position . The handball rule is so ridiculous that you had Romero defending with his arms behind his back the other week and he conceded a goal(and I’m not a Spurs fan btw)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Still claiming to be a Brighton fan, on a Brighton forum, where each of the 11 posts made, are Butt-hurt comments about penalties almost universally accepted as correct calls.

"Jumping like any Defender should"

1706544296555.png

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The second penalty was incredibly obvious from the away end, which I guess you weren’t in. I and many others called it as handball in real time.
I wasn’t at this game - but watching on stream I said out loud “that’s a penalty” the second it happened - before the players even appealed for it. Ferguson knew straight away. Absolute stone wall, blatant penalty. No idea what the defender was doing there to be honest.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Wow- such animosity.
You've not been here long have you.

It shows.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still claiming to be a Brighton fan, on a Brighton forum, where each of the 11 posts made, are Butt-hurt comments about penalties almost universally accepted as correct calls.

View attachment 174170
Oh, I dunno, when I played football I was a centre back and I often challenged for a header by doing a star jump, nudging the centre forward in the back and reaching over his head to play it with my hand.

I was a f**king cart horse though.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

View attachment 174170

To be fair, we do have at least one individual at our club who buys into the "Jayden Bogle" art of defending:-

Samuels2.jpg

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I wasn’t at this game - but watching on stream I said out loud “that’s a penalty” the second it happened - before the players even appealed for it. Ferguson knew straight away. Absolute stone wall, blatant penalty. No idea what the defender was doing there to be honest.
You were at the Amex weren't you?😊

I thought the ref was excellent btw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports