Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Referee Sunny Sukhvir Gill (v Sheffield United)

Jan 30, 2024
Brighton
We're often quick to criticise, so I want to be equally quick to praise.

I was really impressed with today's referee. I appreciate it may appear easy to say that when we've benefited from two penalty decisions, but I thought throughout the game he was really calm and assured.

And he was brave enough to make both penalty decisions - I wouldn't have been at all surprised for an established Premier League referee to not award the second one, and let VAR deal with it on his behalf.

Impressively he also let play continue after a foul several times, before pulling it back when a clear advantage had not been obtained - leaving it longer than many refs seem to.

From a quick search, it looks like he only reffed in the Football League for the first time at the beginning of last season, becoming the first South Asian to referee in the Football League since his own father.

If today was representative of his overall quality, he's going to progress towards the Premier League quickly.

Wouldn't it be great to see a cultural shift whereby we praise officials and focus on the positives, rather than the negatives.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just because I believe Gill did us a big favour against Sheffield doesn’t mean I’m a Chelsea , Palace or Sheff Utd fan. Just think that the 5-2 win flattered us and our result against Luton proved that. And maybe when we get dicked by Palace then the alarm bells might start to resonate.

As Chelsea rolled around all over the place cheating in some cases, you were clearly upset. On a thread had absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool v The Chavs.

I've seen nothing over the last 6 days to suggest that you're an Albion fan.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
As Chelsea rolled around all over the place cheating in some cases, you were clearly upset. On a thread had absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool v The Chavs.

I've seen nothing over the last 6 days to suggest that you're an Albion fan.
The thread was about Sunny Gill and I was merely comparing his performance to more experienced referees.
I think that it’s fair to say we won’t be seeing him at the Amex again - unless our mini blip turns into a long term decline.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
Nice to see Sunny Gill hasn’t a monopoly on giving ridiculous penalty decisions. How did Chris Kavanagh and Paul Tierney come to a decision that it was a penalty to Sheffield United when the Luton player wasn’t even looking at the ball - and no Sheffield player appealed. And then makes an even crazier decision in the second half. Can only think he’d dropped an howler and had to level it up. Utter madness - might as give each team a penalty each game and forget about handball

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Nice to see Sunny Gill hasn’t a monopoly on giving ridiculous penalty decisions. How did Chris Kavanagh and Paul Tierney come to a decision that it was a penalty to Sheffield United when the Luton player wasn’t even looking at the ball - and no Sheffield player appealed. And then makes an even crazier decision in the second half. Can only think he’d dropped an howler and had to level it up. Utter madness - might as give each team a penalty each game and forget about handball
They were two awful decisions. Apart from the reasons you have already mentioned, the proximity of the player to when the ball was played was supposed to count for mitigation, but obviously not. It was a heart stopping moment in the Spuds game when I wouldn’t have been surprised if a penalty had been given against Dunk when it hit the back of his elbow. I think (hope) they ditch this flawed interpretation of handball but I suspect it may not happen until players start to to deliberately aim for players hands or arms when in the penalty area.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Try being a Brighton fan and getting stuffed by incompetent officials two years running at Spurs. Yesterday was less contentious, but the inconsistency was stark.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
They were two awful decisions. Apart from the reasons you have already mentioned, the proximity of the player to when the ball was played was supposed to count for mitigation, but obviously not. It was a heart stopping moment in the Spuds game when I wouldn’t have been surprised if a penalty had been given against Dunk when it hit the back of his elbow. I think (hope) they ditch this flawed interpretation of handball but I suspect it may not happen until players start to to deliberately aim for players hands or arms when in the penalty area.
Maybe they should introduce short corners like in Hockey . Penalties are too game changing . Everytime Albion concede a corner now my heart is in my mouth wondering what the prat on the VAR monitor has seen. I really thought Dunk was going to get penalised. Agree with you that proximity has to be a factor. The Luton playing was just balancing himself after jumping to avoid injury - and the Luton penalty - even Shearer said it was farcical. And Kavanagh hasn’t got the bottle to tell Tierney to stop wasting everyone’s time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe they should introduce short corners like in Hockey . Penalties are too game changing . Everytime Albion concede a corner now my heart is in my mouth wondering what the prat on the VAR monitor has seen. I really thought Dunk was going to get penalised. Agree with you that proximity has to be a factor. The Luton playing was just balancing himself after jumping to avoid injury - and the Luton penalty - even Shearer said it was farcical. And Kavanagh hasn’t got the bottle to tell Tierney to stop wasting everyone’s time.
Under the current (interpretation of the) laws, the first one will be given 100 times out of 100 once spotted by VAR. If the ball hits your hand, in the penalty area, while your hand is above your head - it IS given as a penalty. They've actually been consistent with it, and whilst the Luton player is unfortunate in that there was no intent to handle the ball, there can be little complaint.

The second one, I agree - ludicrously harsh - and I'm pretty sure it would NOT have been given, had they not given the similar (but different) one at the other end.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
Under the current (interpretation of the) laws, the first one will be given 100 times out of 100 once spotted by VAR. If the ball hits your hand, in the penalty area, while your hand is above your head - it IS given as a penalty. They've actually been consistent with it, and whilst the Luton player is unfortunate in that there was no intent to handle the ball, there can be little complaint.

The second one, I agree - ludicrously harsh - and I'm pretty sure it would NOT have been given, had they not given the similar (but different) one at the other end.
I’m not even certain his hand was above his head . Not in a unnatural position as he’s jumping after a corner - imagine how stupid it’d look if every defender had to jump with their hands down- think penguins

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I’m not even certain his hand was above his head . Not in a unnatural position as he’s jumping after a corner - imagine how stupid it’d look if every defender had to jump with their hands down- think penguins
It is clearly above his head. And it deflects the ball to the keeper. Under current interpretations that’s a nailed on penalty.
IMG_0834.jpeg

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
And tag rolling substitutions, now that would make the game flow really well!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But in the incident in question and from looking at the photo the player has one foot on the ground, is leaning back and has arm well above his head. No one else had their arms up and most players are much higher than him. Definite pen

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
But Sunny Gill didn't give any ridiculous penalty decisions, so he hardly can claim a monopoly on something he's not involved in.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
But Sunny Gill didn't give any ridiculous penalty decisions, so he hardly can claim a monopoly on something he's not involved in.
Cmon even the most ardent Albion fan must be embarrassed by the Pedro dive - I know I was. Stay on yer feet man

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Cmon even the most ardent Albion fan must be embarrassed by the Pedro dive - I know I was. Stay on yer feet man
You mean this right here, where the Sheffield player clipped his leg and foot pushing it onto his other leg, putting him completely off balance. The one that the defenders didn't really protest about, and even Chris Wilder didn't say was wrongly awarded. That one?

1708034918918.png

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
You mean this right here, where the Sheffield player clipped his leg and foot pushing it onto his other leg, putting him completely off balance. The one that the defenders didn't really protest about, and even Chris Wilder didn't say was wrongly awarded. That one?

View attachment 176065
You are chatting with someone who said the arm in a photo that is clearly in the air was below shoulder height. I suggest ignoring. They are either a troll or really really thick. Either way it is not worth wasting your time. If defenders and wilder don’t bother moaning then that suggests it was a stone wall (which it was - just like all the Europa pens).

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024

View attachment 176065
Not denying there’s contact - just want players to stay on their feet . I referee myself and even at grass roots level you see players going down too easy. It can’t be a foul / penalty every time there’s contact .

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You are chatting with someone who said the arm in a photo that is clearly in the air was below shoulder height. I suggest ignoring. They are either a troll or really really thick. Either way it is not worth wasting your time. If defenders and wilder don’t bother moaning then that suggests it was a stone wall (which it was - just like all the Europa pens).
The troll is either Palace or Sheffield Utd. He joined NSC the day of the Sheffield Utd Cup game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here