[Albion] Referee Sunny Sukhvir Gill (v Sheffield United)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, I wasn’t at the game. So will bow to your better view. Though I again would say, just because fans appeal for a handball , doesn’t mean it’s given - otherwise we’d be having penalties galore. All I’m saying is that he looked a real inexperienced referee that was swayed by appeals from players and fans. We benefitted from it this week, I just wouldn’t want to see him in the PL as we might be on the wrong end of his weak refereeing.
Half the time when you’re not at the game the ref’s not even in the TV frame or else you’re watching the ball or players’ movement.

You’re either Sheffield Utd or very badly influenced by a home crowd.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The pedro penalty is clear and obvious when you see it from behind which ironically is the angle the ref had. The defender takes the back leg out with a swipe.

The second? The player has his arm excessively high in the jump(its above the attackers head) and makes contact.

It really isnt that difficult

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The penalties were both good calls, so fair play to the ref. I don't personally share the general opinion of most on here though - overall, I don't think he had a great game. (Which is fair enough given it was a step up).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No, I wasn’t at the game. So will bow to your better view. Though I again would say, just because fans appeal for a handball , doesn’t mean it’s given - otherwise we’d be having penalties galore. All I’m saying is that he looked a real inexperienced referee that was swayed by appeals from players and fans. We benefitted from it this week, I just wouldn’t want to see him in the PL as we might be on the wrong end of his weak refereeing.
You can post what you like, the fans behind the goal 100% could see the handball, as obvious a penalty you'd get in a game.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
First one, yes there’s contact but not enough for a penalty and then a crude dive which I thought we’d pick up a yellow for simulation.
Second, you’ve got to be 100% to give a penalty otherwise they’d be a dozen each game, the reply went back and forth and still they couldn’t decide whether it has hit the Sheffield player’s hand. It’s only because the ref has given it that they can’t definitely over turn it. Had he not given it then VAR wouldn’t have over turned it for the same reason.
I can see Wilder’s point, I more experienced ref wouldn’t have put himself in that position.
It got to the point that everytime we appealed for something he then blew his whistle.
Re the Sheffield players not contesting the second decision. I think there’s too much surrounding the ref, he’s never going to change his mind unless VAR tell him to.
Yeah, any benefit of the doubt that you're a bitter Sheff U fan that can't take a defeat has gone up in smoke there. Even Wilder had no complaints about the penalty decisions. Both Sheff U goals took ages with VAR as well, reason it took so long was because the most inept official in the land was operating it.

This gets given by VAR 99/100 if the ref hadn't given it.

obvious pen1.png
obvious pen2.png

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We had quite a few players go down but have a miraculous recovery. I wonder if, had the ref been any normal EPL ref, the players may have argued a bit more. It may be that the players also didn't want any racist accusations at them.
I think he did a good job, not because I watched him but because I didn't notice him at all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
First one, yes there’s contact but not enough for a penalty and then a crude dive which I thought we’d pick up a yellow for simulation.
Second, you’ve got to be 100% to give a penalty otherwise they’d be a dozen each game, the reply went back and forth and still they couldn’t decide whether it has hit the Sheffield player’s hand. It’s only because the ref has given it that they can’t definitely over turn it. Had he not given it then VAR wouldn’t have over turned it for the same reason.
I can see Wilder’s point, I more experienced ref wouldn’t have put himself in that position.
It got to the point that everytime we appealed for something he then blew his whistle.
Re the Sheffield players not contesting the second decision. I think there’s too much surrounding the ref, he’s never going to change his mind unless VAR tell him to.
Lol your view over surrounding the ref is irrelevant as to what players actually do…….they aren’t going to be thinking “oh it’s not a penalty, but we won’t protest because Pete Skinner doesn’t like us doing that 🤦‍♂️

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
Lol your view over surrounding the ref is irrelevant as to what players actually do…….they aren’t going to be thinking “oh it’s not a penalty, but we won’t protest because Pete Skinner doesn’t like us doing that 🤦‍♂️
Just saying that some clubs have made surrounding the ref into a tactic - Man Utd under Fergie was a prime example. And not every bit of contact results in a penalty. Maybe I’m the only impartial Albion fan on here?
But my main point was that he looked an inadequate ref when you compare him to say Anthony Taylor. Maybe I’m being harsh and over time he’ll get better - we’ll see. Hopefully he’ll ref more of our games and we’ll see whether this forum are as positive if decisions goes against us and not for us like it did at the weekend.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just saying that some clubs have made surrounding the ref into a tactic - Man Utd under Fergie was a prime example. And not every bit of contact results in a penalty. Maybe I’m the only impartial Albion fan on here?
But my main point was that he looked an inadequate ref when you compare him to say Anthony Taylor. Maybe I’m being harsh and over time he’ll get better - we’ll see. Hopefully he’ll ref more of our games and we’ll see whether this forum are as positive if decisions goes against us and not for us like it did at the weekend.
Anthony Taylor :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, you are definitely not a Brighton fan.

Keep doubling down on it though, it's very amusing.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
Yeah, any benefit of the doubt that you're a bitter Sheff U fan that can't take a defeat has gone up in smoke there. Even Wilder had no complaints about the penalty decisions. Both Sheff U goals took ages with VAR as well, reason it took so long was because the most inept official in the land was operating it.

This gets given by VAR 99/100 if the ref hadn't given it.

View attachment 174116View attachment 174117
Wrong on all counts except the VAR. I agree with you there - Salisbury is useless

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought Taylor did ok when we played at Forest- probably PL best ref , I know that’s not saying much at the moment
You do remember his petulant response to Lewis Dunk's protestations?
Not forgetting the 2 questionable soft Penalties (worse than the ones you are objecting to from Saturday).

Not sure your attempt at a cover story is as bullet-proof as you hoped.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Who is "we"? Neither Sheffield Inited nor Palace benefited from those decisions.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The penalty awarding law as it stands is a complete arse and only provides divers with the opportunity to con the ref so every single player will be drilled by their coaches in the art of falling over in the penalty area if there's a chance of getting a penalty,the rule has basically penalised honest players who try to stand up after a foul because unless it's a obvious pull back no penalty will be given as you basically have to throw yourself to the floor to actually get VAR involved, bloody ridiculous.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
The penalty awarding law as it stands is a complete arse and only provides divers with the opportunity to con the ref so every single player will be drilled by their coaches in the art of falling over in the penalty area if there's a chance of getting a penalty,the rule has basically penalised honest players who try to stand up after a foul because unless it's a obvious pull back no penalty will be given as you basically have to throw yourself to the floor to actually get VAR involved, bloody ridiculous.
I tend to agree with you , but we can’t have players going down at the first feel of contact. There has to be an effort to stay on your feet and keep playing . But I agree players now coached to dive - case in point on Saturday, and every other Saturday .

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Half the time when you’re not at the game the ref’s not even in the TV frame or else you’re watching the ball or players’ movement.

You’re either Sheffield Utd or very badly influenced by a home crowd.
This

Unless the ref is making a ton of rickets you are generally completely unaware of how well a ref has performing whilst watching a stream.
In this case the ref got all of the big decisions correct and hasn't had a single challenge on any of his calls.

However Wilder and Pete Skinner have both decided he wasn't up to the job.
One of them wasn't at the game, the other is looking for a deflection from his team's performance and his new keeper conceding 5 at home.

Seems a bit of a harsh view based on him giving a few freekicks against the home team.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
You do remember his petulant response to Lewis Dunk's protestations?
Not forgetting the 2 questionable soft Penalties (worse than the ones you are objecting to from Saturday).

Not sure your attempt at a cover story is as bullet-proof as you hoped.
Only Lewis knows what he said to Taylor, but when he’s shown a yellow for dissent and then carries on - is that Taylor being petulant or Dunk being stupid? Maybe I’m too impartial

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports