Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rees Mogg / Andrew Bridgen Grenfell

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There's nothing ageist about the polls, which show older voters are shunning Corbyn, backing Brexit and will vote with Boris. This is in stark contrast to the young who are doing the precise opposite.

Your post was ageist whilst mentioning racism. Have a look at yourself.

Whilst I am not quite but very close to being in your disgusting generalisation yes it is as bad as racism.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I am not a great fan of Rees Mogg but he is getting a battering from his opponents when he just said he would not stay in a burning building. Clumsy yes but making out he is insulting people and he is more intelligent, nah. I don't think he mean't that or even implied it. I think most of us would feel uneasy being told to stay in a burning building

Agree US, it’s way too easy to, VAR-like, pick apart what anyone in the public eye says often without context. And if they’re already a pantomime Villian, like JRM, then it matters not what they’ve said or how. Just that they’ve said something is enough for howls of disapproval and disproportionate calls for action from frankly, people with more than little bias or prejudice usually. 24/7 talk shows and social media has created a culture of outrage at practically everything imaginable that’s silenced reasonable debate. Instead it’s sack him or her for saying this, inferring that; not saying this, not inferring that - no wonder politicians no longer resign for more serious things, they must become deaf because of the constant ‘will you resign minister’ demands over, well, everything.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agree US, it’s way too easy to, VAR-like, pick apart what anyone in the public eye says often without context. And if they’re already a pantomime Villian, like JRM, then it matters not what they’ve said or how. Just that they’ve said something is enough for howls of disapproval and disproportionate calls for action from frankly, people with more than little bias or prejudice usually. 24/7 talk shows and social media has created a culture of outrage at practically everything imaginable that’s silenced reasonable debate. Instead it’s sack him or her for saying this, inferring that; not saying this, not inferring that - no wonder politicians no longer resign for more serious things, they must become deaf because of the constant ‘will you resign minister’ demands over, well, everything.

He is hardly a first offender but the current environment has normalised idiots like Rees Mogg and Bridgen. In normal times these two wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the front bench of the Tory Party or interviewed on the radio. Now they are mainstream.

These are times of acceptance of such views, not the opposite. You are incorrect to imply otherwise.

Defenders will hide behind accusations of "faux outrage" but the reality is that if you simply rolled back just a few years and they would be forced to resign.

That's your new "political correctness".

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There's nothing ageist about the polls, which show older voters are shunning Corbyn, backing Brexit and will vote with Boris. This is in stark contrast to the young who are doing the precise opposite.

Anyone born before 1970 who thinks of voting Tory will be in for a shock when they put into practice their scheme to raise the pension age to 75.Turkeys, Christmas ...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Your post was ageist whilst mentioning racism. Have a look at yourself.

Whilst I am not quite but very close to being in your disgusting generalisation yes it is as bad as racism.

Look at any UKIP / Brexit Party meeting. It is full of ageing white folk intent on reducing immigration to as low as possible whilst turning the clock back to pre 1973 when we were out of Europe and casual racism, sexism and homophobia were staples of British culture.

Look at the demographics, look at the polls, look at the facts. It is these people that spooked Cameron into holding the Referendum and the seismic shitstorm that has ensued.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Andrew Bridgen (@ABridgen) Tweeted:
Disclaimer: during the General Election there are no MPs and I do not hold the office of MP for North West Leicestershire. References to my work as an MP predate the dissolution of Parliament. https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1191853119153623045?s=17

Bridgen posted on twitter 10 mins ago..Can't see an apology but could it be that he'll now shut up and take a back seat in Tory campaign? Prize Tosser

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Here it is in all it's glory.

In what normal times hasn't the PM completely disowned this idiot tonight ?

[yt]ZAGMf0luGGQ[/yt]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Silly comment, are you for real - this is JRM we’re talking about, not Boris...!

If a politician can’t engage their brain before talking then they shouldn’t be in a position of power.

The simple fact is the report, or certainly the part that has been used by the media, has laid a lot of the blame at the feet of the LFB and largely ignored the council (Tory) part in the disaster. JRM clearly saw this as another opportunity to keep the Tory councils name out of the limelight, blame the proles for getting themselves killed...!

Not sure that is correct. This is only the first part of the inquiry that concerned itself with events on the night. The second part, which I believe starts in the new year, will deal with the involvement of the council, the company that refurbished the block and or any other companies involved in making the tower a death trap.

With that element still outstanding, it beggars belief that the government have now included Rydon in a framework document to build more high rise buildings.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...nment-lists-grenfell-firm-approved-contractor

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Andrew Bridgen (@ABridgen) Tweeted:
Disclaimer: during the General Election there are no MPs and I do not hold the office of MP for North West Leicestershire. References to my work as an MP predate the dissolution of Parliament. https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1191853119153623045?s=17

Bridgen posted on twitter 10 mins ago..Can't see an apology but could it be that he'll now shut up and take a back seat in Tory campaign? Prize Tosser

Just to make that clearer, unbelievable.

[tweet]1191853119153623045[/tweet]

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I simply do not see Rees Mogg said anything we did not think fella but as usual it has been out to be a political statement and used negatively by his oppenents. That is the game of pollitics now

Having read nsc for many years you come across as a kind and generous person. Politically though you seem to often adapt a contrarian position that you won't budge from. How you can portray JRM's comments as 'anything we did not think' is beyond me. He's a senior politician. I'd think some pub bore saying what he did was crass but in his position, on the radio?

In the current climate I wouldn't be surprised if he made the comments on purpose to fire up those who do think, 'he's only saying what everyone's thinking'. He's a nasty piece of work.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Look at any UKIP / Brexit Party meeting. It is full of ageing white folk intent on reducing immigration to as low as possible whilst turning the clock back to pre 1973 when we were out of Europe and casual racism, sexism and homophobia were staples of British culture.

Look at the demographics, look at the polls, look at the facts. It is these people that spooked Cameron into holding the Referendum and the seismic shitstorm that has ensued.

The majority of people in this country are white, the majority of voters are over 55. Yes for remain as well.

Going by your logic it is totally ok to go against the racism act because of statistics whilst crying about racists and you dont even seem worried about it. Any of the other discriminations, sexuality, race, religion or sex you would be running for cover.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Here it is in all it's glory.

In what normal times hasn't the PM completely disowned this idiot tonight ?

[yt]ZAGMf0luGGQ[/yt]

Wow, I hadn't heard that until just now.

'He would have made a better decision than the authority figures who gave that advice.'

The arrogance of these people.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He is hardly a first offender but the current environment has normalised idiots like Rees Mogg and Bridgen. In normal times these two wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the front bench of the Tory Party or interviewed on the radio. Now they are mainstream.

These are times of acceptance of such views, not the opposite. You are incorrect to imply otherwise.

Defenders will hide behind accusations of "faux outrage" but the reality is that if you simply rolled back just a few years and they would be forced to resign.

That's your new "political correctness".

It’s clumsy, but that’s all. Not a reason to call for someone’s head. As you say, plenty of other times MPs should do but in this instance, nope, it’s not enough IMO.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The bloke just said he would not be happy being told to stay in a burning building.

He did, but he didn't just say that at all.

"The more one's read over the weekend about the report and about the chances of people surviving, if you just ignore what you're told and leave you are so much safer. And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do. And it is such a tragedy that that didn't happen."

This is the sort of thing you'd expect to hear down the pub (or on here), where people rattle off their opinions and impressions and conversations ensue and get mixed in with other opinions and impressions, and an ex-fireman on the next table overhears and gives his opinion and heads nod and people say "oh yeah you're right, I hadn't realised that" and people leave having learned something.

The bloke is a politician*. His job gives him access to innumerable facts and files and reports and expert advice on everything and anything. He has advisors, he even has a more than basic command of the English language and all its nuances. He has been instructed in rhetoric, has a passing understanding of the structure of debate and persuasion whilst using that language. That his brain then even allowed his mouth to form those words into those sentences is ludicrous and ridiculous, ill-informed, naive in the extreme, and reminds me of that arrogant, self-entitled, referendum-era dismissal of 'experts', of anyone who could possibly know better.

In that interview, he chose his path. Not to address the cladding, the contractors, the council, the adequacy or otherwise of the government's social housing policy, and that's up to him, but to question the common sense of the Grenfell residents, to criticise the fire brigade. Great. Go Jacob. But he deserves every single ounce of furious criticism and outrage, and then some.

* a climate-change ignoring & profiteering, anti-gay marriage, hardline anti-abortionist politician, but still.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It’s clumsy, but that’s all. Not a reason to call for someone’s head. As you say, plenty of other times MPs should do but in this instance, nope, it’s not enough IMO.

Bridgen? Gotta go and I think he knows it.

You've heard the interview about Irish passports ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
sddefault.jpg

"I've read all the reports now, and have concluded that were I trapped on the 21st floor of a burning building, I would ignore the advice of the fire brigade, use my own common sense, and simply make my way down the stairs and out to safety. Simples."

Chrisbettyrice

Aug 13, 2019
My advice is to do your research and find the other contemptible bullshit this man is responsible for broadcasting before suggesting others have been whipped up by a media storm.

Most of which doesn't get widely reported.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Eat the rich

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

But shouldn't MPs be held to a higher standard? Surely they're the first people who deserved to to be judged harshly? I don't want any old Jack or Jill making decisions that directly affect us, I want people who are capable of clear thought, clear voice and even clearer action: isn't that something to shoot for?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He did, but he didn't just say that at all.

"The more one's read over the weekend about the report and about the chances of people surviving, if you just ignore what you're told and leave you are so much safer. And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do. And it is such a tragedy that that didn't happen."

This is the sort of thing you'd expect to hear down the pub (or on here), where people rattle off their opinions and impressions and conversations ensue and get mixed in with other opinions and impressions, and an ex-fireman on the next table overhears and gives his opinion and heads nod and people say "oh yeah you're right, I hadn't realised that" and people leave having learned something.

The bloke is a politician*. His job gives him access to innumerable facts and files and reports and expert advice on everything and anything. He has advisors, he even has a more than basic command of the English language and all its nuances. He has been instructed in rhetoric, has a passing understanding of the structure of debate and persuasion whilst using that language. That his brain then even allowed his mouth to form those words into those sentences is ludicrous and ridiculous, ill-informed, naive in the extreme, and reminds me of that arrogant, self-entitled, referendum-era dismissal of 'experts', of anyone who could possibly know better.

In that interview, he chose his path. Not to address the cladding, the contractors, the council, the adequacy or otherwise of the government's social housing policy, and that's up to him, but to question the common sense of the Grenfell residents, to criticise the fire brigade. Great. Go Jacob. But he deserves every single ounce of furious criticism and outrage, and then some.

* a climate-change ignoring & profiteering, anti-gay marriage, hardline anti-abortionist politician, but still.

Great post and I wish I was as eloquent as you.

As a politician the man is a disgrace and straight out of the Trump play book. He posted on twitter a graphic from a tabloid newspaper regarding tariffs that he knew was incorrect.

The paper in question had to retract the article and print an apology. Rees Mogg left it there for months after being asked repeatedly to remove it, knowing damn well how provocative it was.

He hides behind a polite exterior but it terms of his political (and moral beliefs) is one of the most dangerous politicians of my lifetime. Boris politically is far far left of Rees Mogg, but the fact he is allowed anywhere near the front bench exposes the marriage of convenience that is the Tory party of 2019.

In a reciprocal arrangement Rees Mogg will gladly publicly support the leadership of Johnson so the ERG, Raab etc.. will hopefully get their "Thatcher was too left wing" way.

This is not the Tory Party any one has voted for in the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here