Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rees Mogg / Andrew Bridgen Grenfell

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am not a great fan of Rees Mogg but he is getting a battering from his opponents when he just said he would not stay in a burning building. Clumsy yes but making out he is insulting people and he is more intelligent, nah. I don't think he mean't that or even implied it. I think most of us would feel uneasy being told to stay in a burning building
None of that is relevant - there's a bandwagon, just bloody get on it!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So what, do you think, was his broader point?

Only he can answer that. I'm not going to assume an elitist arrogance. Although the temptation is huge.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What you are saying is JRM is some sort of bloke that actually thinks the people deserved it as they were stupid. He may not be to your political leaning but this is the trouble with politics now is a complete hyperbole to make out the people who are of a different political party are somehow the devil. It is all off the scale on both sides now

Excuse me, if you look back through my posts I’ve not nailed my leaning to any political party. In fact I have just called out all “modern politicians”.

You appear to have jumped to the conclusion that I am saying what I’ve said because he is a Tory, whereas I believe he is just a product of our current political system, whereby people who do not have a clue about life and how hard it is for some people to get by, day to day, find it so easy to political point score, in particular in the lead up to an election.

With that in mind, unprincipled people like JRM should just keep their mouths shut, and talk about things they understand, like Brexit...

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
None of that is relevant - there's a bandwagon, just bloody get on it!
What you are saying is JRM is some sort of bloke that actually thinks the people deserved it as they were stupid. He may not be to your political leaning but this is the trouble with politics now is a complete hyperbole to make out the people who are of a different political party are somehow the devil. It is all off the scale on both sides now
He isn't saying that at all.

Let's be clear what Grenfell is really about.

A traditionally poor area that has seen millions of investment. The Westfield, the Westfield extension with the biggest John Lewis in the country, the old Television Centre transformed into very expensive flats with a Soho House.

Other the road there are some very poor estates that are beginning to look out of place in an area of London that has pretensions if not to be the new Manhatten very much the new West End.

How to deal with the now out of place Grenfell Tower which unfortunately doesn't have the ironic urban chic of Trellic Tower?

Mask it in cheap flammable cladding to make it more aesthetically acceptable to the new upwardly mobile residents. A changing rooms MDF exercise no more no less..

It's a disgrace and all done by a local Tory regime.

Keep your mouth shut Rees Mogg, you add nothing to the debate on Grenfell.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I am not a great fan of Rees Mogg but he is getting a battering from his opponents when he just said he would not stay in a burning building. Clumsy yes but making out he is insulting people and he is more intelligent, nah. I don't think he mean't that or even implied it. I think most of us would feel uneasy being told to stay in a burning building

That is an incredible reach. Of course he was insulting, ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I can see where you are coming from, but 72 people died and he has said they lacked common sense. It's victim-blaming at a time when there is an investigation pointing fault at various different authorities, so it comes across as relieving those authorities of culpability.

Clumsy, maybe, for you and I. For a very senior member of cabinet, I wouldn't use such a kind descriptor of his language.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Only he can answer that. I'm not going to assume an elitist arrogance. Although the temptation is huge.

I will take a stab. He is trying to deflect from the criminal negligence of the party he belongs to for their part in this fire (I know it wasnt just the Conservatives just that they were in power when it happened). The victims just needed to walk out the death trap his collegues had created and everyone would have lived happily ever after. They just needed to be as clever as him. But while doing so not realising that he is trying to apply his standards to a world he will never understand or live in and upset damaged families just so he can win a ****ing GE.:rant:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sorry I know it's on another thread, but I'm uncomfortable using THAT thread to discuss Grenfell.

Anyway - if it couldn't get any worse for the loony right of the Tory Party, Andrew Bridgen (you know, the really really thick ERG member who thought all English people are entitled to an Irish Passport) defends Rees Moog comments on the basis he is is more intelligent than the firefighters and the victims.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-defends-jacob-rees-20818947

Host Evan Davies told Mr Bridgen people had taken issue with the suggestion that Mr Rees-Mogg would not have died because he was "cleverer" than the people who took the fire brigade's advice, Mr Bridgen said: "But we want very clever people running the country, don’t we, Evan?

"That is a by-product of what Jacob is and that is why he is in a position of authority.

Yep, that's what the Tory party have become.

I was listening to the interview. Not only was it what he said that was so damning and revealing, but there was a huge long pause before he answered Evan Davies. He either had no idea what to say, or thought carefully about what to say and then still said it, or agreed with Evan Davies but didn't want to admit it outright. I don't recall ever hearing a politician pause for so long before answering a question.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
JRM was the one who lacked common sense by going beyond the most basic platitudes on such a delicate, nuanced subject. There are things you can't say about Grenfell, opinions you may have but can't express. Hillsborough is similar. You'd think any politician of any level of experience would have known that but some of them get fooled into thinking that their opinions have value and can't resist sharing them.

Personally I'm glad to see any Tory help to damage his evil party's chances by outraging people - whether their outrage is genuine or not - and an idiot like Bridgen only digging a deeper hole for him is fantastic. .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Nah, lets dissect it.

The agreed advice is stay put under normal circumstances in a high rise building built to according modern building regulations or an old one that has been retrospectively made safe.

Common sense has nothing to do with it.....

Rees Moggs is applying "common sense" to a situation where a building has been made incredibly unsafe in recent years via an attempt on the cheap to make it look more pleasing by the local Tory regime.

As for Andrew Bridgen, he should resign immediately

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You could argue that JRM's comments will play well with Kippers and Farage supporters, winning support for the Tories by out-racisting the racists.

Mogg is only saying what most white people over 55 are thinking.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nah, lets dissect it.

The agreed advice is stay put under normal circumstances in a high rise building built to according modern building regulations or an old one that has been retrospectively made safe.

Common sense has nothing to do with it.....

Rees Moggs is applying "common sense" to a situation where a building has been made incredibly unsafe in recent years via an attempt on the cheap to make it look more pleasing by the local Tory regime.

As for Andrew Bridgen, he should resign immediately

I simply do not see Rees Mogg said anything we did not think fella but as usual it has been out to be a political statement and used negatively by his oppenents. That is the game of pollitics now

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
You could argue that JRM's comments will play well with Kippers and Farage supporters, winning support for the Tories by out-racisting the racists.

Mogg is only saying what most white people over 55 are thinking.

Ageism is covered by the same act as racism

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blame the residents
Blame the firefighters

All this deflects from the person at number 10 who was London mayor, and the Tory council in Kensington

[tweet]1189104403523035137[/tweet]

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I simply do not see Rees Mogg said anything we did not think fella but as usual it has been out to be a political statement and used negatively by his oppenents. That is the game of pollitics now

Jesus, really ?

The families of Grenfell are annoyed because they are on the Labour pay roll ?

Which bit of this don't you get ? Again. Rees Mogg has said "common sense" would have kept those people alive if they had ignored "incorrect" advice within the context of a building that had recently been turned into a death trap.

What planet are you on to suggest that people are only appalled by his comments simply to make political capital ?

What planet are you not to be completely appalled by Andrew Bridgen comments to defend Rees Mogg on the basis he is more intelligent than everyone else ?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ageism is covered by the same act as racism

There's nothing ageist about the polls, which show older voters are shunning Corbyn, backing Brexit and will vote with Boris. This is in stark contrast to the young who are doing the precise opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here