Redknapp

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who? I'm struggling to think of a single manager who has won promotion from the NPC in the last ten years who a) would come here and b) we would want.

The only ones out of work that I can think of are Di Matteo (who probably wouldn't touch us), Pulis, McLeish and Coyle (all terrible).
Why restrict our choice to those who have won promotion from the NPC?

I'd happily take Eddie Howe (who probably wouldn't come here) or Uwe Rosler (who probably would).

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I disagree, Look at the uproar from people like Martin Samuel, Adrian Durham etc when he didnt get the England job and Levy sacked him.

They both write for the Mail and as such are the journalistic equivalent of 'Arry himself!

Most people knew that although 'Arry got off his HMRC charges the FA could never have someone who has such a reputation (founded or unfounded) run the team. His management style is wrong as well, he only spends 1 or two half days with the team a week and leaves the training etc... to his coaches.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
The more people on this site start whining about Redknapp being our manager, the more I want him.

The fact is, this is a guy who has managed in the EPL for his entire career. I'm willing to accept he's not good enough for England and probably not even Spurs, but this is Brighton and Hove Albion we're talking about. He's more than good enough for us.

youre forgetting he got Bournemouth relegated from the old second division and got Southampton relegated from the premier league, then couldnt get them back up - so no, not his entire career

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The club's refusal to sign left-back Wayne Bridge is causing the friction and Redknapp says: "They've got to back me with the people I want."

says it all really

Brinksmanship? What price 'arry turns up here and Bridgey signs?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The club's refusal to sign left-back Wayne Bridge is causing the friction and Redknapp says: "They've got to back me with the people I want."

says it all really
Exactly. "Let me sign the best full back in the division or I'm NOT playing"

Gimp.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Who? I'm struggling to think of a single manager who has won promotion from the NPC in the last ten years who a) would come here and b) we would want.

The only ones out of work that I can think of are Di Matteo (who probably wouldn't touch us), Pulis, McLeish and Coyle (all terrible).

I would personally go for some one like Mccarthy, have to ditch him when in the PL but his record in the Championship is good.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How many of the clubs that Redknapp has been at been in a better position after he left? Spurs could be used but other than that ...

Quite why the media let him off the fiasco at QPR is beyond me, he had over half a season to get a multi million £ squad to win a few games and failed miserably.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
TCB not all foreign mangers are temperamental, i think you are making broad judgements and thus huge sweeping statements. to make my own sweeping statements; I would say there are very few, if any, english / British managers that would be right for our club or even peak TBs interest. There are a number of foreign managers that would both fit the type of play, be draw and would not throw their toys out the pram when two-bit clubs come calling.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair point. I'm not actually a Redknapp fan at all, let me point that out before it seems like I am. But he's spent many years at a much higher level than us, so the suggestion that he is not good enough for us is a little arrogant in my opinion. By all means dislike the guy and question his skills in the jobs he'd held, but his record clearly shows he's capable of managing in the NPC. For what it's worth, I think he'd do okay with us. I doubt we'd go up, but it would probably be fairly entertaining.

People don't like suggestions like this. To an extent I agree with you, as history shows ugly middle-aged British men are the ones who win promotion from this division. Steve Bruce is a great example too. It's not exciting and it might not be pretty, but it could just work.

I think there has only been 1 foreign manager to get promotion to the PL in recent years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair point. I'm not actually a Redknapp fan at all, let me point that out before it seems like I am. But he's spent many years at a much higher level than us, so the suggestion that he is not good enough for us is a little arrogant in my opinion. By all means dislike the guy and question his skills in the jobs he'd held, but his record clearly shows he's capable of managing in the NPC. For what it's worth, I think he'd do okay with us. I doubt we'd go up, but it would probably be fairly entertaining.

You need a different set of skills to manager at Championship Level, you need better scouting skills for a start.

One of your main complaints about Poyet ( I think it was you) is he has no plan B, Redknapp is the same.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I wouldn't, but Kinky Gerbils promised me better candidates "with a history of getting teams out of the Championship". I just can't see who they are.

Although I am somebody who has always banged the drum of young/foreign managers as I think it's always better to take a gamble than stick with a 'safe' English underachiever, I'm wondering if we now need somebody British with at least a little bit of experience. We've seen the problems of employing a temperamental foreigner, and I was very concerned by the way Zola froze at Wembley in EXACTLY the same way Gus regularly did. I'm not sure I want that again.

I like Eddie Howe and he is still young enough to have hunger and ambition, while he also has experience of managing at this level. Would he leave Bournemouth for the second time though?

Darren Ferguson has "a history of getting teams out of the Championship"!

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
How many of the clubs that Redknapp has been at been in a better position after he left? Spurs could be used but other than that ...

Quite why the media let him off the fiasco at QPR is beyond me, he had over half a season to get a multi million £ squad to win a few games and failed miserably.

Frankly even at Spurs his record is not as good as it should have been. The guy sneers at tactics, he gets bondy and Joe to chuck some cones out and basks in his supposed man management skills. Bale (who harry tried to sell to forest btw) came out and admitted that he wasn t really coached last year I mean for fcks sake the game has moved on. Ok so its pretty obvious I am a Spurs fan but I ve lived down here for years and go to the amex a few times a season and woodside rd alot more than that. You should aspire to so so much more than that turd of a man

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I do agree with most of that. I have always backed foreign managers over English ones because it's so depressing seeing the same old names get jobs and nause them up, then move on to the next club. But I'm also concerned that the facts show us a certain type of manager gets promoted from this league, and it's usually fairly dour English characters. The way both us and Watford just capitulated in utterly spineless fashion in the play-offs has set alarm bells ringing for me with foreign managers in this division. Perhaps they are just far more suited to the EPL, where it's not so much of a ruck every week.

I guess its the self licking loplipop, boards want to find a manager that will get them out the League, they employ those that have done so, they get the experience on how to do it, they get sacked for failing in the Prem, championship boards hire them to get them out the league...and so it goes on. Your right; both Watford and outselve looked like rabbits in the headlights and where beaten fair and square by a route one technician.

But give it time a foreign manager will get a team out of the Championship, they just need to get experience first. remember they are still a rather new thing in the 'lower' leagues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports