Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reda Khadra

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't let Connolly go, potentially the best striker we have, currently 2nd or 3rd choice with Welbeck out (and possibly not the only time he will be).

I know there is an argument that he will gain valuable experience on loan in the championship, but he's probably going to get that at a higher level anyway.

Yes his personal life bothers people, but if it's as bad as people say, i'm sure the club would rather have him where they can at least moniter him rather than possibly 100s of miles away. Every city has it's own version of bright lights, so that wont solve anything.

Apart from that, there is nothing to suggest that he wants a loan or that Potter wants him out.

Some of us that would like to see Connolly go on loan aren't saying so because we want rid of him anywhere that will take him off our hands - it's a genuine desire to see him recover his goal scoring mojo. I know there is a lot of dislike for him on here, but the 'get rid - just get rid' attitude isn't helpful. or sensible - he's potentially a decent PL striker - I just don't think being shredded by Brighton fans every time he misses a goal will get him there!
And as for nightlife and bright lights, I really do believe there's a lot more of it in Brighton than, say, Carlisle, Port Vale or Huddersfield!.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Khadra and Ostigard are going out on loan then logic says we have replacements lined up, but for some reason I still fear that we haven’t & we’re “happy with what we’ve got”.
We have 35+ players in the 1st team group including 9+ under 21s.

We will not be replacing any that leave on a 1:1 basis.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Some of us that would like to see Connolly go on loan aren't saying so because we want rid of him anywhere that will take him off our hands - ot's a genuine desire to see jhim recover his goal scoring mojo. I know there is a lot of dislike for him on here, but the 'get rid - just get rid' attitude isn't helpful. or sensible - he's potenyially a decent PL striker - I just don't think being shredded by Brighton fans every time he misses a goal will get him there!
And as for nightlife and bright lights, I really do believe there's a lot more of it in Brighton than, say, Carlisle, Port Vale or Huddersfield!.

Yes it's definitely not helpful fans being on his back, nor is it a new problem, i cant remember the player but someone well known apparently used to play with ear plugs so he couldn't hear the groans any time he did something wrong.

Aarron actually showed signs of suffering from it last season in two games running, i think the first was Spurs, it was a sitter, he just needed to tap it in, which he tried to do, the keeper saved it. Then you got all the aftertimers saying he should have hit it harder, he should have done this, he should have done that. Following home game, very similar chance, he put his laces through it and put it over, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Unfortunately though that can happen at championship league 1 etc too it's an unfortunate part of being a footballer and a part that Aarron Connolly needs to get used to, because we will all love him again as soon as he scores.

I know you are only using Carlisle, Port Vale (Stoke) and Huddersfield as examples but even then the bright lights of Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds are not far away, it really is up to Connolly to decide his future is worth more than a decent night out with mates in clubs like shoosh or whatever it's called.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Whenever I start to have doubts about Connolly, I just watch a re-run of his goal up at Burnley.
That was not a player who is useless, it was a sublime striker's goal.

He's clearly got the tools in his box, but there is no denying he doesn't bring them out often enough.

My frustration with him is not inside the box, he will score more when his confidence is higher I'm sure of that, but I do get frustrated with his play outside the box.
He tries to imitate Muzza and win free kicks when the ball is played up to him ... but he's no good at it!
Muzza was a master of the art, but he'd been at it for years in order to perfect it.

Connolly should just concentrate on keeping the ball and utilise the support when it arrives ... and then head for the box where he is far better.

I know his detractors on here (and sadly there are way too many) will say if he's that good in the box why is is goalscoring record so poor, but maybe having constant criticism from so called 'fans' is affecting his 'normal' game and making him over anxious all the time?
Why don't we experiment for a season and actually get off his back and give him some support this year?

Just a thought?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Whenever I start to have doubts about Connolly, I just watch a re-run of his goal up at Burnley.
That was not a player who is useless, it was a sublime striker's goal.

He's clearly got the tools in his box, but there is no denying he doesn't bring them out often enough.

My frustration with him is not inside the box, he will score more when his confidence is higher I'm sure of that, but I do get frustrated with his play outside the box.
He tries to imitate Muzza and win free kicks when the ball is played up to him ... but he's no good at it!
Muzza was a master of the art, but he'd been at it for years in order to perfect it.

Connolly should just concentrate on keeping the ball and utilise the support when it arrives ... and then head for the box where he is far better.

I know his detractors on here (and sadly there are way too many) will say if he's that good in the box why is is goalscoring record so poor, but maybe having constant criticism from so called 'fans' is affecting his 'normal' game and making him over anxious all the time?
Why don't we experiment for a season and actually get off his back and give him some support this year?

Just a thought?

This, exactly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you had to list all of the reasons why a player needed to go out on loan you're basically describing Connolly:

1. Has talent but needs to hone his skills.
2. Needs a season of regular football under his belt to gain experience and confidence.
3. Needs a dose of realism and to lose the big ego.
4. Needs to play alongside more experienced players who can teach him the tricks of the trade.
5. Needs a team where he can make a big impact on the field.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know you are only using Carlisle, Port Vale (Stoke) and Huddersfield as examples but even then the bright lights of Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds are not far away, it really is up to Connolly to decide his future is worth more than a decent night out with mates in clubs like shoosh or whatever it's called.
Carlisle really is a long way from any of your suggested bright lights! Even a 20 or 30 mile drive home (and it's a lot more than that to Carlisle!*) instead of a ten minute taxi ride or a stroll along the prom makes a big difference to the availability of night club life .......... and also I actually meant Port Vale, not Stoke! :)

Just looked it up out of curiousity - 60 miles to Newcastle, 90 to Glasgow, 120 to Manchester. That's a long walk home if you miss the last bus! Yep, that does it for me - let's help Carlisle romp League 2 this season!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Carlisle really is a long way from any of your suggested bright lights! Even a 20 or 30 mile drive home (and it's a lot more than that to Carlisle!*) instead of a ten minute taxi ride or a stroll along the prom makes a big difference to the availability of night club life .......... and also I actually meant Port Vale, not Stoke! :)

Just looked it up out of curiousity - 60 miles to Newcastle, 90 to Glasgow, 120 to Manchester. That's a long walk home if you miss the last bus! Yep, that does it for me - let's help Carlisle romp League 2 this season!

I wont tell you about a blinding night out i had in Carlisle itself :lolol: Point is though, if he's determined to press the self destruct button it wont matter where he plays his football. Hopefully he can sort this side of his life out, because i really believe he has every attribute needed to become a very good footballer at Brighton, never mind Carlisle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wont tell you about a blinding night out i had in Carlisle itself :lolol: Point is though, if he's determined to press the self destruct button it wont matter where he plays his football. Hopefully he can sort this side of his life out, because i really believe he has every attribute needed to become a very good footballer at Brighton, never mind Carlisle.

Oh, I don't disagree. But I do wonder if he realises the possibility of throwing it all away - another benefit of a season at a Carlisle (or anywhere equally desolate - sorry Carlisle), apart from remembering how to score again and experience a little love from fans, might be that it would help him realise what his future will be like if he doesn't buckle down and take his chances (in more ways than one!)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I dont care what Connolly does in his private life. He looks so out of place in PL that I would like to see him on loan at lower league club to see if he copes with that and learns to vary his game. He certainly wouldnt get away with going to ground so often

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Oh, I don't disagree. But I do wonder if he realises the possibility of throwing it all away - another benefit of a season at a Carlisle (or anywhere equally desolate - sorry Carlisle), apart from remembering how to score again and experience a little love from fans, might be that it would help him realise what his future will be like if he doesn't buckle down and take his chances (in more ways than one!)

An equally effective way of doing that is to drop him back into the u-23’s and make it clear to him why. That is if it is a real issue and not simply rumour/exaggeration? I’ve no idea as even if I lived in Brighton still I am way too old for clubbing :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My God if I had his money and I was in my early 20s, I'd be face down in my house at 3am listening to Cat Stevens, crying... hang on, I veered off into to my own early 20s for a second... let's get back on track.

ahem.

I'd be driving a pimped up ride with DJ jurgs in a jacuzzi fitted on the back toting his decks whilst I drive down every bus lane in Brighton at 70 mph without a care in ****ing the world... ah... yes I'd see lots of pretty girls.

I could tell you about my life,
and keep you amused for a while.

I don't want to be sad anymore.

Perhaps we should cut this young man some slack.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Anyone tell me why Kadra’s loan has been postponed? The Argus is behind a paywall for me

There is this:

“But the Albion prospect is still set to head to Ewood Park this month.

Khadra has been in the North West this week and was expected to tie up a deal last night as Rovers hosted Morecambe in the Carabao Cup.

The Argus understands he requires further rehab on a minor ankle injury suffered in training.

It is understood the two clubs agreed he will return to Albion for two more weeks.

But the move is expected to go through this month.”

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There is this:

“But the Albion prospect is still set to head to Ewood Park this month.

Khadra has been in the North West this week and was expected to tie up a deal last night as Rovers hosted Morecambe in the Carabao Cup.

The Argus understands he requires further rehab on a minor ankle injury suffered in training.

It is understood the two clubs agreed he will return to Albion for two more weeks.

But the move is expected to go through this month.”

Thank you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here