Recommend a whiskey

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
English Whisky, from St Georges Distillery - currently having a lovely drop Chapter six

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I will correct myself, Bowmore do not bottle their own, it's Bruicladdich on Islay, and most of the plants seem to be in Edinburgh, see excerpt below:

"Most of the distilleries do not bottle their own whiskies, but let this happen at specialized plants. Exceptions among others are Glenfiddich, Springbank, Bruichladdich and Loch Lomond. Even if they do not bottle themselves, the responsibility of the bottling stays from the distillery. This is called "official bottling". This operation happens often in the suburbs of Edinburgh where several bottling plants are installed, belonging to distilleries (like Glenmorangie in Broxburn) or to independent bottlers, like Ian McLeod in the same town.

Independent bottlers

A very interesting phenomenon in whisky world is the work done by independent bottlers. Unlike bottling plants who work on behalf of distilleries, the independent bottlers buy casks at one or more distilleries, choose the type of cask, and let it mature in own warehouses or in the distillery warehouse. The independent bottler decides when the whisky will be ready for selling. These bottlings are marketed under the name of the bottler, and sometimes the name of the distillery does even not appear on the bottle -rarely-. Some of these companies are Signatory, Ian MacLeod, Douglas Laing (Provenance and Old Malt Cask), Cadenhead, etc. .."

Last edited:

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Useless Whiskey Trivia:- All Jamesons whiskeys are matured in Californian white oak casks imported from US whiskey producers, mainly Jack Daniels - This helps create the smoothe taste generally found in Irish whiskeys, as opposed to the earthy course taste you find in Scotch.

I'm not the first person to point out that American oak is used for Scotch too. The main differences between Irish whiskey and Scotch is that the Irish don't let the peat flavour the malt and that the whiskey is usually triple distilled, rather than distilled twice, as is the norm for whisky.

The Hotel du Vin has a decent collection of single cask whisky.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Here's one of the large bottling companies, Newbridge Bond Bottling Company . There's a very good chance your bottle of Talisker, Glenn Moray or Glenmorangie was filled up here.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not the first person to point out that American oak is used for Scotch too. The main differences between Irish whiskey and Scotch is that the Irish don't let the peat flavour the malt and that the whiskey is usually triple distilled, rather than distilled twice, as is the norm for whisky.

The Hotel du Vin has a decent collection of single cask whisky.

More trivia, Auchentoshan is the only Scotch that is triple distilled. It was once told to me that the reason is that at twice distillation it's really not very good, hence they do it again to smooth it out a bit.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Waitrose usually stock a whisky called A'Bunadh from the Aberlour distillery. It's sherry cask and made in the style of a 1930s bottle of whisky they found in a wall while doing renovations at the distillery. It's fantastic value and very different from most Scotch because the Christmas Pudding flavours from the European oak are so intense.
Highland Park 18 is a fantastic whisky but considerably more expensive and harder to find and I also love Glenfarclas with a passion. I am a sherry cask girl...
If you like peat Waitrose also stock Coal Ila, which is smokey and a bit different to the other Islays.
On the non-Scotch whiskies, Penderyn is okay but a little bland and it's too early to pass comment on the two English whisky distilleries, although some of the young spirit out of St George was promising.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Could also be that the character of Lowland malts is a cleaner, more floral one meaning the heavy notes that flavour other malts need to be distilled out. The late lamented Rosebank was also triple distilled.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Phil- Can you give me a good 'training' whisky/whiskey to get myself used to the flavour.

I have tried several of the mainsteams but without a mixer I find them pretty grim. I need a good smooth, not too harsh tipple to get myself started. Suggestions?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Phil- Can you give me a good 'training' whisky/whiskey to get myself used to the flavour.

I have tried several of the mainsteams but without a mixer I find them pretty grim. I need a good smooth, not too harsh tipple to get myself started. Suggestions?

2 really soft ones are Dalwhinnie and Glenkinchie, or you could go for a Balvenie Double Wood. I'd say these are all very east to get into, without being harsh or too firey. They also have varied flavours, so you'll be able to start differentiating the nuances. Don't be put off adding a little water either, best to go for bottled mineral water rather than tap water.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2 really soft ones are Dalwhinnie and Glenkinchie, or you could go for a Balvenie Double Wood. I'd say these are all very east to get into, without being harsh or too firey. They also have varied flavours, so you'll be able to start differentiating the nuances. Don't be put off adding a little water either, best to go for bottled mineral water rather than tap water.

The Balvenie Double Wood was my first single malt purchase, and would agree it really is a lovely whisky to get into not being too harsh or overpowering - even my wife quite liked it :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Excellent. Cheers mate, I will report back soon :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My usual recommendation each time this thread is started is this:

Caoran Reserve 12yr old. Its rather lovely, but quite steep at about £42.00

3634.jpg

This time, I'm going to add another, which Waitrose generally stock, and quite often have on offer at £25 or so.

Very nice, and suitable for [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] to try as a smooth but rich introduction. Yum yum.

singleton-of-glendullan.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I once stayed at Dalwhinnie. Had a great tour of the brewery and you're right, it's lovely and soft tasting. Mmmm!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I once stayed at Dalwhinnie. Had a great tour of the brewery and you're right, it's lovely and soft tasting. Mmmm!

It's a lovely place, we tried 3 times but it was always closed, we finally made it one December 27th in the late 1990s if I recall correctly.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Highland Park, McCallum, Penderyn, Glenfiddich.......all good.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Another vote for Woodford Reserve. Preferably incorporated into a lovingly made Old Fashioned.

At low level Jim Beam is preferable to Jack, but the reason they get served with coke is because they are disgusting. If I'm having a cheap drink I'd just as soon go with meths and fanta.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's a lovely place, we tried 3 times but it was always closed, we finally made it one December 27th in the late 1990s if I recall correctly.

December? Lol, I went in August and it was cold then. I dread to think what it must have been like in winter. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports