Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a whiskey

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Useless Whiskey Trivia:- All Jamesons whiskeys are matured in Californian white oak casks imported from US whiskey producers, mainly Jack Daniels - This helps create the smoothe taste generally found in Irish whiskeys, as opposed to the earthy course taste you find in Scotch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A little useless information perhaps but JD is distilled in a dry state of USA and as such you are not able to taste it if you visit the distillery so I was told on my recent visit to Kentucky.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Glen Ord,if you can find it.That shop on East Street could source it for you.Single malt.Peaty.Smashing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Useless Whiskey Trivia:- All Jamesons whiskeys are matured in Californian white oak casks imported from US whiskey producers, mainly Jack Daniels - This helps create the smoothe taste generally found in Irish whiskeys, as opposed to the earthy course taste you find in Scotch.

I think you'll find Scotch (a lot of Scotch) is also matured in Californian White Oak Bourbon Casks, as well as Oak Sherry casks, Maderia casks, Rum Casks, Port Casks, Beer Barrels, as well as virgin casks using European, American and Eurasian oak.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Knob Creek.

Any worries you may have had will be gone in approximately 60 seconds.

Enjoy.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think you'll find Scotch (a lot of Scotch) is also matured in Californian White Oak Bourbon Casks, as well as Oak Sherry casks, Maderia casks, Rum Casks, Port Casks, Beer Barrels, as well as virgin casks using European, American and Eurasian oak.

Yes, but i believe they burn out the casks before use? Besides, the point of my useless fact is that they ONLY use Cali oak at JJ's. In Scotland they generally use more than one grain,and tend to add peat in the process, this adds to the course flavour. At Jameson's they only use barley and the local water. Try a taste test of both Irish and Scotch, you'll be amazed in the difference.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Useless Whiskey Trivia 2: Don't be fooled into thinking 8yo Bells is 8 years old. As a blended scotch, ONLY ONE of the several blends used has to be 8yo or more!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Whisky became a hobby of mine some 25 years ago, it does hook you in, and you do find yourself getting very enthusiastic and evangelical about it (as well as finding your wallet a lot lighter when you visit decent Whisky bars/shops). As a lapsed member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society I can assure you there are many who have it a lot worse than me. I've discovered single barrels, bought unbranded whisky, and tried drams that have never been sold to the public. I bought a bottle of 40 year old (1965) Caol Illa for my 40th birthday, and almost wept when it was finished.

The most important thing is to understand there are no bad Whiskies, there may be some you don't like, but the sheer fact that someone goes to the not inconsiderable effort to produce them and bottle them, and people buy them, means that there are people that like it. Some years ago, when I was a member of the SMWS, I read in my newsletter that they held a blind tasting for 30 year old Whiskies, the winner, unanimously, was from (the much maligned) Glennfiddich, it was a truly wonderful drop. Also worth trying some of the Japanese Single Malts, and don't rule out the Irish either when you can find them.

NB, I am talking about Single Malt Whisky here, not blended.

Latterly I have been dabbling with American Whiskeys, and there are some great drinks from the USA. As mentioned before, try the Great Eastern for an introduction, then make their aquaintence, then keep going back for more!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only good whiskey is a dead whiskey.

ALL whiskey is completely unpalatable, and makes me nauseous.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
R3xbWnuLdLHqThB5Q5Eug8fV0t0E6HuovhhkWwZZj2zEXWaai5xREULlYG1uw7IJjIu3IcettBDr5UeEeQ4oA7nX5SzfmFb3m9nBTJhNQhYvmxtFkZdkwP6oKgPdhb2El6iGMWp1xM263vPnpBklwuaaQ3LbqAwmnXinuMnj=s90-c

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If you like bourbon, i highly recommend Makers Mark - a bit pricier but gorgeous over rocks.

I was given a bottle of Makers Mark as a tip for a job i did.VERY nice it is too.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, but i believe they burn out the casks before use? Besides, the point of my useless fact is that they ONLY use Cali oak at JJ's. In Scotland they generally use more than one grain,and tend to add peat in the process, this adds to the course flavour. At Jameson's they only use barley and the local water. Try a taste test of both Irish and Scotch, you'll be amazed in the difference.

They never use Peat as an ingredient for Scotch Whisky, ever.
The grain is only ever malted barley.

I have never been amazed at the difference between Scotch and Irish, I've been plesantly delighted with both, if you really think Scotch is only course and Irish is only smooth I think you should try a few more varieties (of both)

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was given a bottle of Makers Mark as a tip for a job i did.VERY nice it is too.

A great drop. The bottles are classy too, especially the wax seal...it screams quality at you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here