Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a whiskey

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Useless Whiskey Trivia 2: Don't be fooled into thinking 8yo Bells is 8 years old. As a blended scotch, ONLY ONE of the several blends used has to be 8yo or more!

Usefull Whisky trivia -Any age statement on a bottle of Scotch Whisky must, by law, be the age of the youngest whisky in the bottle, I'm afraid you are mistaken in what you wrote. Quite the opposite of what you wrote in fact.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
There was a program on TV recently about Welsh Whisky how do you rate that, I don't remember the names.

Eek, after saying there is no bad whisky, I did recently try Penderyn Single Malt, it really wasn't my taste at all, didn't like it one bit. I thought it was quite sour and thin, I guess they'll improve as they go on, they haven't been about for very long.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You go to Cyprus quite a lot I believe how do you rate their local brewed whisky as my friend always asks me to bring him some Johnnie Walker Black Label in for him.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yes they do in Bells mate. I wasn't sayin ALL scotch is course, just more often, especially the blends. I can see the quality in both, i just prefer the smoothness of JJ's especially!

Whiskeys are like women, we all have our own preferences, so i'm definitely not knocking Scotch mate! You seem to like your whiskey as i do, so other opinions are interesting to me. I do recommend you try the JJ's 18yo special reserve i posted about earlier though, a real joy for any whiskey lover.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You go to Cyprus quite a lot I believe how do you rate their local brewed whisky as my friend always asks me to bring him some Johnnie Walker Black Label in for him.

ha ha, it's horrible, well, it's hardly like whisky at all, they tend to crack open a bottle and then do it in once session, and deal with the headache in the morning. They do love the Johnnie over there.

Yes they do in Bells mate. I wasn't sayin ALL scotch is course, just more often, especially the blends. I can see the quality in both, i just prefer the smoothness of JJ's especially!

Whiskeys are like women, we all have our own preferences, so i'm definitely not knocking Scotch mate! You seem to like your whiskey as i do, so other opinions are interesting to me. I do recommend you try the JJ's 18yo special reserve i posted about earlier though, a real joy for any whiskey lover.

I guarantee you, the law states that an age statement on a bottle of Scotch Whisky must pertain to the age of the youngest whisky in the bottle, whether Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Single Grain Scotch Whisky, Blended Malt Scotch Whisky, Blended Grain Scotch Whisky, and Blended Scotch Whisky. If a bottle does not have an age statement then the youngest whisky in the bottle must be at least 3 years old.

I agree with your other points though, and I recently finished off a bottle of Jaimesons 18 yo and concur, it is lovely.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
For me I have many favourites but here is my top 10..

1. Bowmore - Lovely Scotch
2. Woodford Reserve - American Bourbon
3. Laphroig 10yr
4. Ardberg
5. Lagavulin
6. Suntory Yamasaki - Japanese Whisky
7. Glenmorangie Original
8. Jura
9. Bushmills - Irish
10. Glen Moray 8 yr

Whisky can be a complicated sport, most people that dont like it are ones that have been sick on cheap shit from the supermarket. Like anything if drunk in moderation, particularly after a meal its a great tipple.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Never, ever drink Whisky with Ice, now go away and don't come back until you have learnt your lesson!

Should always be drunk either neat or with a smidge of water(room temp).

Pretty much agree there, if it's much over 45% then a bit of water, that said, in the heat of summer, a single ice cube melted into you dram should not be ruled out.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
ha ha, it's horrible, well, it's hardly like whisky at all, they tend to crack open a bottle and then do it in once session, and deal with the headache in the morning. They do love the Johnnie over there.

I guarantee you, the law states that an age statement on a bottle of Scotch Whisky must pertain to the age of the youngest whisky in the bottle, whether Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Single Grain Scotch Whisky, Blended Malt Scotch Whisky, Blended Grain Scotch Whisky, and Blended Scotch Whisky. If a bottle does not have an age statement then the youngest whisky in the bottle must be at least 3 years old.

I agree with your other points though, and I recently finished off a bottle of Jaimesons 18 yo and concur, it is lovely.

OK OK! I stand corrected...i was trying to remember my last Diageo product meeting, i remembered the point, but got it the wrong way around, it was some time ago. However, i do stand by the fact that they use peat in the process, only a smidging, but they do.

Glad you liked the 18yo by the way!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Yes they do in Bells mate. I wasn't sayin ALL scotch is course, just more often, especially the blends. I can see the quality in both, i just prefer the smoothness of JJ's especially!.

Ah,sorry, I might have seen your point, I think you're refering to the base Scotch, made of 'grain whisky' which is indeed made from maize or wheat malt, and forms a reasonable percentage of the volume of Bells (and any other blended whisky). Jamesons uses only malted and green barley for their whiskey, but I didn't know that it is also made with generic column still spirit which is why they can't call it Single Malt, well I never knew that.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For a bourbon, it's Woodford Reserve for me, with Knob Creek an able deputy.

I've never been able to get into drinking single malts, but I really want to as I love the idea. I think it's because I got wrecked on whisky once when I was young (Bells I think) and still, nearly 20 years on, don't like the smell. I think I need to push past the initial reaction (the smell!) and actually appreciate the taste - with a decent dram rather than pish like Bells!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Ah,sorry, I might have seen your point, I think you're refering to the base Scotch, made of 'grain whisky' which is indeed made from maize or wheat malt, and forms a reasonable percentage of the volume of Bells (and any other blended whisky). Jamesons uses only malted and green barley for their whiskey, but I didn't know that it is also made with generic column still spirit which is why they can't call it Single Malt, well I never knew that.

:thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
OK OK! I stand corrected...i was trying to remember my last Diageo product meeting, i remembered the point, but got it the wrong way around, it was some time ago. However, i do stand by the fact that they use peat in the process, only a smidging, but they do.

Glad you liked the 18yo by the way!

The Peat is used for the malting process, in the same way it is in many Scotches, and in some Irish, the Peat fire is used to kill the sprouting barley kernels, making them into Malt, this happens before they are mashed for brewing. Peat is never added to the actual concoction. Depending on the 'peatiness' of the peat, the flavour from the smoke is more or less peaty in the final drink.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Pwoper mans thread this..hehe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here